Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Clearly a one-sided report, with Mayo declining to respond, but interesting nonetheless.

Family says Mayo was trying to abduct their daughter.
    Wow, thats quite the story
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
      Yeah, the family who escaped the Mayo Clinic reached out to the Pelletier family after a family friend clued them in on that story.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, the family who escaped the Mayo Clinic reached out to the Pelletier family after a family friend clued them in on that story.
        Oh wow, didn't know that.

Here's another from Boston Children's.

https://medicalkidnap.com/2015/04/24...-disagreement/
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

This is why you should NEVER take your child to a conventional hospital unless it's an absolutely life-and-death emergency.
          And this is where I stopped reading. I wish people would post real articles about newsworthy events instead of screeds from advocacy sites.

Comment

Natural News is the InfoWars of the left.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Natural News is the InfoWars of the left.
              Good to know, I had never heard of it before. Thanks.

Comment

Have a cold in the summer is no fun.

Having the cold that is ripping through my region this summer is a whole lot of no fun. I should've bought stock in Kleenex.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  And this is where I stopped reading. I wish people would post real articles about newsworthy events instead of screeds from advocacy sites.
                  Yeah. Medical malpractice insurance is of great value on society. Beyond that, there are certain institutions that are a target...because they attract readers. Notice that in spite of other major stories, the Mayo story wasn't just a front page story...it was the screaming headline. That's editorial positioning.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Yeah. Medical malpractice insurance is of great value on society. Beyond that, there are certain institutions that are a target...because they attract readers. Notice that in spite of other major stories, the Mayo story wasn't just a front page story...it was the screaming headline. That's editorial positioning.
                    The mayo story was at least cnn, which still had journalistic standards. I'm referring to the follow-up postings.

Comment

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Clearly a one-sided report, with Mayo declining to respond, but interesting nonetheless.

Family says Mayo was trying to abduct their daughter.
                      Although I do not have any direct knowledge of this patient (and full disclosure I have several colleagues and friends at Mayo), I can say that there are many errors in this report that I can say with pretty high certainty. Some may know I am critical of some of Mayo's practices but I can assure you that they are more than capable of following standard of care for this type of patient and unless there is convincing evidence otherwise, I would assume they did everything to the best of their ability.

I do not have the time right now to go into it deeply (busy inpatient service right now) but off the top I can say this patient was not on a neurology service, but a neurosurgery service. Frequently confused but very different. Aneurysms and their subsequent subarachnoid hemorrhage is managed by neurosurgeons, with possibly neurology as a consult to help with the almost inevitable seizures. The neurosurgeons would be the ones continuing the opiates.

These type of patients are literally the sickest people in the hospital for the first 2-3 weeks after rupture (as long as the surgeons can secure the aneurysm) but if you get them through that, they are the type of people that will walk back into your ICU in a year to thank you.

Briefly on the transfer, often you cannot transfer a patient because of insurance reasons. There are regulations that you cannot transfer a patient to a "less capable" hospital. For instance, if you transfer from a primary hospital to a tertiary care hospital, the insurance will not cover transfer out because by definition the tertiary care facility can offer every available treatment. Mayo is often referred to as a "quaternary care" facility (particularly for neuro related cases) so they likely have trouble fulfilling transfer requests.

I may add more later in the week but the tl;dr version is that there are enough clear, easy enough to correct errors throughout this entire piece that I seriously question the accuracy of anything said in it.
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

And natural news is a cesspool of ignorance.
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Agree with all of this! So easy to make something sound evil when there are real reasons the system is structured the way it is. If all turns out well then the parents can feel righteous but what would have happened if things didn't turn out as well?

The Children's case posted was big news out here with DYC involved and some serious dysfunction and disagreement in the family at first.

I hadn't heard of the 'Natural News' but that it is named this is sad. There are a lot of legitimate things that are 'Natural' and stuff like this discredits them.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                            And natural news is a cesspool of ignorance.
                            Like I said, it's left-wing InfoWars. Right down to having a shop where they sell supplements and other stupid sh*t to the gullible.

Comment

In informal circles it's known a Bobbit's carcinoma.

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-wor...falls-off-died
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                In informal circles it's known a Bobbit's carcinoma.

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-wor...falls-off-died
                                linky no worky.

Comment

Working...
                                X