Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

wubba lubba dub dub

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    No idea in this case.

But I can tell you lightning is INCREDIBLY loud. Like, the loudest thing I have ever heard. Back when I was 16 I was working at DQ. There was a thunderstorm and for whatever reason, I stuck my head out the drive through window to get a better look at it. Right as I did that lightning struck in our parking lot like 75-100 feet away, maybe less. I was thrown back from the window, probably because my legs reflexively kicked back. I grabbed my ears and was completely disoriented. It took me a few seconds to realize what happened and make sure I was still alive.

Turns out, someone else was struck by that bolt. Didn’t realize it at the time but saw the pictures on the local newscast that night. It looked like he was beaten up by a gang with bats. Two black eyes. Burns. Severe bruising all over. Laid up in the hospital.

So it’s possible that they were disoriented.
    My brother was in an upstairs bedroom one night at my parents' house. He had left a west-facing window open when going to bed, a thunderstorm started rolling through the area. He got up to close it, took a moment to watch the light show when a bolt of lightning hit six houses to the west. The bolt hit the gas meter on the house's eastern side, and my brother was blasted all the way across the room, hit the wall and landed onto his bed. The house that was hit was about half gone by the time the fire department was able to get the blaze under control.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My brother was in an upstairs bedroom one night at my parents' house. He had left a west-facing window open when going to bed, a thunderstorm started rolling through the area. He got up to close it, took a moment to watch the light show when a bolt of lightning hit six houses to the west. The bolt hit the gas meter on the house's eastern side, and my brother was blasted all the way across the room, hit the wall and landed onto his bed. The house that was hit was about half gone by the time the fire department was able to get the blaze under control.
    Yikes. What happened to the houses in between? Shock wave? Windows blown out?

Only thing I've heard of like that was from a friend on a flight that hit turbulence with no warning. One of the stewardesses was walking down the aisle and bounced straight off the ceiling and cracked her neck -- dead instantly. Guy said it was like being in an elevator and watching a floor rush past -- the plane dropped and it was as if she stayed in the same place. Everything in the cabin that wasn't secured was smashed.

I was amazed because I figured everything within the local reference frame would just move together. Apparently that isn't how physics works.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-18-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Yikes. What happened to the houses in between? Shock wave? Windows blown out?

Only thing I've heard of like that was from a friend on a flight that hit turbulence with no warning. One of the stewardesses was walking down the aisle and bounced straight off the ceiling and cracked her neck -- dead instantly. Guy said it was like being in an elevator and watching a floor rush past -- the plane dropped and it was as if she stayed in the same place. Everything in the cabin that wasn't secured was smashed.

I was amazed because I figured everything within the local reference frame would just move together. Apparently that isn't how physics works.
    The neighbors all had a fright, but I don't recall seeing any construction crews aside from the burned house at the time. Then again, I was in college, so I could have easily missed a crew showing up to replace a window or two.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

A bad cause requires many words.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Harsh truth: when you don't use your muscles, you lose them. Started physical therapy yesterday to get stronger and I am basically starting from scratch. Seems like everything atrophied, and there is a noticeable difference between my left calf and my right.

Time to get moving again. I will become "Amber Marie, marathon runner, ultra-marathon finisher, and future Ironman triathlete" once more.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Thread Information