Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona State Sun Devils 2017-18 -- Year Three!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona State Sun Devils 2017-18 -- Year Three!

Starting a thread for our third season of D-I hockey. Click here for a link to the thread from season two and the year one hybrid season.

The big questions that still remain as we head into season three --
    - Arena: hearing some positive things, but still nothing concrete has been announced.
    - Conference: The school pulled out of the talks with the WCHA. So what does that mean? I'm guessing they want to get this arena thing figured out and either make another run at the NCHC or see what changes may occur in the conference alignments.

Positives --
    - Netted the 12th ranked recruiting class last year (although two did not make it through the NCAA Clearinghouse) and currently hold the number nine class for next season. So despite the arena and conference, the school is bringing in some very nice players.
    - Home schedule is great with visits from Penn State, BU, UML, Quinnipiac, Princeton, UMass and UAH. By the sounds of it scheduling for the next few years is in good shape. The odd numbered conferences are certainly helping get sustained schedule into late February like we have this season.
    - A pair of tournaments, one in Vegas and one in Pittsburgh. With not much of a chance to reach postseason and no conference tourneys, these are good for the guys.

Wait and See --
    - 12 games at Oceanside. For all of the days of youth charm it may hold, it is not a quality facility for us. It will do and is home for now, but certainly would be nice if the other building was on deck. Hope it goes well for our visitors.

My outlook --
    We had three D-I wins in the hybrid season and had eight last season, with some nice road ties at Western Michigan and Ohio State. I expect that win number to climb again this season. I'm interested to see which goalie takes control of the net. With the new recruits coming in, the team should continue to play its heavy, physical style.

Good luck to all the teams out there. I'm happy to answer any questions for our visitors coming in or the program here in general. Onward and upward we go! Go Devils!

Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2017-18 -- Year Three!

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    - Home schedule is great with visits from Penn State, BU, UML, Quinnipiac, Princeton, UMass and UAH. By the sounds of it scheduling for the next few years is in good shape. The odd numbered conferences are certainly helping get sustained schedule into late
    Could've stopped after Quinnipiac

Comment

Jashvina Shah over at CHN took time to talk to Coach Powers about what was involved in ASUs move to D-I as well as what it might look like for others to make the move.

It begins around the 32 minute mark. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/live/

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
        Could've stopped after Quinnipiac
        Thanks for your unending respect!

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
          I'm looking forward to seeing your boys in Tempe, GFM. Hoping the return trip next season falls on a weekend I can make the trip to your place.

Comment

Short preview with HC Powers from Ice Time Hockey SW. Looking forward to seeing everyone playing and the different line combos that coach runs out. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bz_S3Pe35Uw

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
              I'm looking forward to seeing your boys in Tempe, GFM. Hoping the return trip next season falls on a weekend I can make the trip to your place.
              We welcome you. I've been to Tempe once — State Street on the first Saturday night after freshmen rolled into campus.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                All in good fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                  All in good fun
                  Sorry, watching my program nearly get killed leaves me very thin-skinned.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Well we are off and running. The Sun Devils defeated NAIT 4-1 last night in its exhibition opener. The game was chippy, as seems to be the case whenever we play these teams from Canada. ASU dominated most of the game, outhsooting NAIT 41-20. Newcomer and local, Johnny Walker, scored a goal and had an assist. He was also issued a game misconduct late in the third. He will be a fun player to watch. Powers had him paired with Tyler Busch and Brett Gruber on the top line. The D core was led by Brinson Pasichnuk. Freshmen Jacob Wilson and Gvido Jansons were a nice pairing as well.

Not much can be learned from the goaltending. Neither Daccord or Pashovitz were tested too much.

My takeaways. It will be, as expected, another heavy, physical team. The additions are only going to enhance that. It will be interesting to see if they have a true sniper on this team or if it will be scoring by committee.

Lastly, time to beat the drum again, the building. As you all know Oceanside holds about 750 and is not suitable. Last night 375 students from the student 942 crew showed up. That was great, but unfortunately, others had to be turned away as they couldn't fit anymore people in the building. Never a great prospect and this was for an exhibition game. The talk is "soon" as we have continued to be told. But a solution is needed ASAP.

UMass will be here next week and that should be a better indication of what this team will look like. Go Devils!

Comment

Great article from The Arizona Republic on the state of the program and a few arena bits as well ...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...all/738078001/

Comment

Haven't posted on this site in awhile. Eight games in and we are 1-5-2. Impressive opening night win over UMass, but a not so impressive game two loss to them. Swept at Air Force, but kept both games close and could have come away with a result. A loss and tie at Omaha and then the same result at Colgate.

This team is a much better than the group from last year and I anticipate results will come as roles are more firmly established. One spot that does seem to be solidified is in goal. Joey Daccord has started in 7 of the 8 games and I don't see that trend changing.

HC Powers did an interview yesterday talking about travel, the previous three road trips and the upcoming home series with UAH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=axl2-ryQ_Pg

We then have a week off before hosting Penn State on the 17th and 18th.

October was a fun month in college hockey and looking forward to seeing what November brings.

Go Devils!

Comment

Few news updates from Sun Devil Hockey Land...

Tonight during the coaches show (which can be viewed on the "Sun Devil Hockey" Facebook page), it was announced that ASU HC Greg Powers has been extended through the 2022 season. That is great news for any ASU hockey fan.

Longtime Arizona Republic columnist and now faculty at ASU Paola Boivin wrote a piece on what the new refurbished Sun Devil Stadium will offer. One of those mentioned was an outdoor NCAA hockey game. A wild concept, but would be fun to do. Any takers out there that would want to be our opponent? Link to the story below.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2017/...devil-stadium/

Arena update from the coaches show. Powers admitted the failed joint venture with the Coyotes slowed down the progress for the arena. But things are back on track and very close to an announcement. Great news!

And progress through 10 games. Last year ASU was 2-8, this year, 2-6-2. A little difference, but a more impressive statistic is ASU was a -28 in goal differential last year and a -10 this year, through 10 games. That is a positive sign. Of course, so heavy hitter still to come on the schedule.

Week off before Penn State visits. Should be fun!

Comment

Denver/Air Force/Colorado College.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So the Friday BU game out there is "sold out" apparently, are there ways to obtain tickets through other manners any of you know of without paying the current $100 asking price on Stubhub?
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                              X