Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by devildog View Post
    I used to have season tickets for Northern, and I would be upset if I got screwed out of my tickets for this game. If it was under the guise of screwing Tech fans, well, then I could live with it. Not much better than a bunch of angry disappointed Tech fans.
    Time to take the gloves off boys. Game time can't come soon enough.
    I simply wanted to take my wife to a great hockey game. Site down Sunday night, tickets in-person only, sold out in 2 hours. It's simply want vs. need at this point. If all tickets were sold to passionate fans who will enjoy the game, I'm happy. If not, then something is stinky. It's clear that many fans, including NMU die hards, are questioning how the situation was handled.
    The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
      They call themselves Hockeyville and can't fill their barn for non-Tech and non-championship games? Please tell me this is a bad attempt at a marketing game.[/QUOTE]

Oh I would fully buy that it was poor marketing. Not prepared, no foresight.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        Admit it davyd83. NMU knowingly and purposefully screwed Tech fans. That's quite obvious. Stop making excuses.

They have that inferiority complex running wild these days. Just because they can only fill an average of 53% of Berry seats with a 2nd place team that was at or near the top of the conference for the whole year while Big Brother in Houghton does a much better gate with a smaller school in a smaller market while they admittedly struggled for a lot of the year. Just another example of how MTU > NMU.

(Sorry, since you are an NMU fan, I will explain that the ">" symbol means "greater than" )
        Forget Tech fans for a moment. NMU screwed their non-local alumni and current season ticket holders.

Add on apparently not being prepared for selling tickets, a middle of the night change to how the tickets would be sold, not allowing phone ticket sales, along with people able to jump back in line and get additional tickets,... It is hard to give NMU the benefit of a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Anyone know how the cut goes for the league? WCHA gets all ticket revenue, arena gets concessions and...?
          The WCHA gets a set amount for the game. I believe last year it was around the $25,000 mark for each series/championship game. Anything above and beyond that the host school can pull in goes in their pocket.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
            Forget Tech fans for a moment. NMU screwed their non-local alumni and current season ticket holders.

Add on apparently not being prepared for selling tickets, a middle of the night change to how the tickets would be sold, not allowing phone ticket sales, along with people able to jump back in line and get additional tickets,... It is hard to give NMU the benefit of a doubt.
            I don't know how you can say they screwed current season ticket holders other than the one case we reported...that was definitely a screw up but its far from something blatant like screwing current season ticket holders.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
              The WCHA gets a set amount for the game. I believe last year it was around the $25,000 mark for each series/championship game. Anything above and beyond that the host school can pull in goes in their pocket.
              Then it does surprise me that 1,200 tickets went to students at $10, thats 35% of the tickets. I can see reasons why to offer more to the students of course though if you were to try boost $$$ for the school more should have been allocated to adults at $22. Add to that most students are not buying beer and probably not buying food.

Comment

Regardless of whether it's Tech Or NMU in, I was able to get both UND and Minnesota out with the following. Canisius wins AH, BU wins HE, UND loses to Duluth and wins the consolation game.. OSU wins the big.Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants.
                The team I'd be most afraid of: Cornell.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  Then it does surprise me that 1,200 tickets went to students at $10, thats 35% of the tickets. I can see reasons why to offer more to the students of course though if you were to try boost $$$ for the school more should have been allocated to adults at $22. Add to that most students are not buying beer and probably not buying food.
                  But 1200 tickets at $10 is $12000, so you are almost halfway to covering your fees. For a league championship, I think most schools would be able to get 1200 students as long as they are not on break.

Plus, you can set a deadline on those tickets, say Thursday, and then make any remaining available to the public.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    Admit it davyd83. NMU knowingly and purposefully screwed Tech fans. That's quite obvious. Stop making excuses.

They have that inferiority complex running wild these days. Just because they can only fill an average of 53% of Berry seats with a 2nd place team that was at or near the top of the conference for the whole year while Big Brother in Houghton does a much better gate with a smaller school in a smaller market while they admittedly struggled for a lot of the year. Just another example of how MTU > NMU.

(Sorry, since you are an NMU fan, I will explain that the ">" symbol means "greater than" )
                    It’s a pretty common practice in pro and college sports today. If Tech were hosting, I’d expect that they would try to maximize their home ice advantage. And by the way, there have been times when Tech has limited NMU tickets and denied the band the opportunity to play.
                    I certainly understand the disappointment of people on both sides that couldn’t get tickets. But one thing I do know for sure, no matter what system was put in place, a lot of people would still be upset. On both sides.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 03-13-2018, 05:26 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• I thought 1,200 was the usual student allocation at the BEC.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Regardless of whether it's Tech Or NMU in, I was able to get both UND and Minnesota out with the following. Canisius wins AH, BU wins HE, UND loses to Duluth and wins the consolation game.. OSU wins the big.Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants.
                        But were you able to get Tech in via the AQ and NMU in as an at-large?

GFM <— is being lazy and outsourcing PWP tasks
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          But were you able to get Tech in via the AQ and NMU in as an at-large?

GFM <— is being lazy and outsourcing PWP tasks
                          According to CHN that’s not possible.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I'm not getting to the same result. Can you post your PWP result? Anybody know of the last time both UND and Minnesota missed the tourney?

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
                              I'm not getting to the same result. Can you post your PWP result? Anybody know of the last time both UND and Minnesota missed the tourney?
                              1978?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                According to CHN that’s not possible.
                                That doesn't surprise me.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X