WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Well not the greatest showing. Our best two teams lost to two mid level or lower NCHC teams and Miami, even in the tie, looked like the better team.... And NMU couldn't get any points either. Sigh. I would have thought we could have at least got a few points out of it and I was pretty surprised by Mankato losing.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Boy, this isn't helping the WCHA cause...... Will the WCHA have any team with a better than .500 out of conference record (Bowling Green, Bemidji, Mankato, Tech)?

2017-18 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

25 NCHC Games (3-13-4)
      15-17 Big10 Games (3-10-0)
      3-5 Hockey East Games (2-0-0)
      7 Atlantic Hockey Games (2-3-1)
      5 ECAC Games (2-3-0)
      5-7 Independent Games (1-1-0)
      4-6 Interleague Games (Not counted in league total)
      7 Exhibitions (Not counted in league or team total)
      TOTAL: 13-30-5

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (1-5-0)
      -2 at Notre Dame L 3-5, L 0-4
      -2 at Cornell L 1-5, L 0-3
      -2 at Arizona State L 2-3, W 3-1
      ALASKA (2-3-1)
      -Simon Fraser (EXH) W 6-0
      -2 with Air Force L 2-3, T 1-1
      -2 at St. Cloud L 3-6, L 4-5 (OT)
      -at Alaska-Anchorage W 6-2
      -Alaska-Anchorage W 3-2

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-5-1)
      -Simon Fraser (EXH) W 6-1
      -2 with North Dakota T 1-1, L 2-3 (OT)
      -2 at Colorado College L 1-6, L 2-3
      -Alaska L 2-6
      -at Alaska L 2-3

BEMIDJI STATE (3-2-1)
      -Minnesota-Duluth W 5-2
      -at Minnesota-Duluth T 0-0
      -2 with Air Force W 4-1, L 1-5
      -2 @ Princeton W 5-3, L 1-4
      -North Dakota
      -at North Dakota

BOWLING GREEN (1-3-1)
      -Wilfrid Laurier (EXH) W 3-1
      -US Under 18 Team (EXH) W 4-1
      -at Western Michigan L 1-3
      -Michigan State W 3-1
      -at Michigan State L 2-3
      -2 with Miami L 3-6, T 2-2
      -Western Michigan
      -vs. Michigan (Detroit)
      -vs. Michigan State/Michigan Tech (Detroit)

FERRIS STATE (3-5-0)
      -at Western Michigan L 1-6
      -Western Michigan W 3-2
      -2 at Mercyhurst W 3-2, L 1-4
      -2 at Michigan L 2-7, W 3-2 OT
      -at Michigan State L 2-3 OT
      -Michigan State L 1-3

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (1-4-1)
      -Laurentian (EXH) W 3-2
      -Northern Michigan W 5-2
      -at Northern Michigan L 1-4
      -2 at Denver T 3-3, L 1-5
      -2 at Michigan State L 3-4, L 0-6
      -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh)
      -vs. Arizona State/Providence (Pittsburgh)

MICHIGAN TECH (2-1-0)
      -at Wisconsin L 2-3
      -vs. Union (Duluth) W 6-3
      -vs. Minnesota-Duluth (Duluth) W 4-3
      -vs. Michigan State (Detroit)
      -vs. Michigan/Bowling Green (Detroit)
      -vs. Boston College (Las Vegas)
      -vs. Arizona State/Northern Michigan (Las Vegas)
      -2 with Arizona State

MINNESOTA STATE (2-2-0)
      -Regina (EXH) W 8-0
      -St. Cloud State L 0-4
      -2 at Boston University W 6-3, W 3-0
      -at Minnesota-Duluth L 1-3
      -at St. Cloud State
      -Minnesota-Duluth
      -US Under 18 Team (EXH)

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (2-4-0)
      -at Lake Superior State L 3-5
      -Lake Superior State W 4-1
      -2 vs. Wisconsin (Green Bay) W 5-4 (OT), L 0-4
      -2 at Nebraska-Omaha L 3-4, L 1-4
      -vs. Arizona State (Las Vegas)
      -vs. Boston College/Michigan Tech (Las Vegas)
      Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 11-27-2017, 12:43 PM.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

lets just assume for a second that mankato does not get the Auto-bid. How likely is it, that given the conferences struggles and the few games remaining that they will get an at large bid anyway? I can see them beating Duluth at home, but I doubt they beat St Cloud. I think that's basically the leagues only chance of getting two in.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          lets just assume for a second that mankato does not get the Auto-bid. How likely is it, that given the conferences struggles and the few games remaining that they will get an at large bid anyway? I can see them beating Duluth at home, but I doubt they beat St Cloud. I think that's basically the leagues only chance of getting two in.
          Well it is early but they are currently 8th in the PWR. Need to circle back in early January after the Vegas tournament to see how the conference looks at that point.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

They are so late posting the column that I only get to read it when I get home from our Friday game. I only live a half hour from the arena so they should have it up in time. They need to get it together and be much more timely.
            I have noticed that the WCHA coverage has been lacking when compared to past seasons. Not only late being put up, but most of the blog entries seem short and pretty superficial compared to previous years more in depth coverage. Maybe the guys who do it now have less time for such things then they did in years past......I doubt people are knocking down doors to write these columns.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
              I have noticed that the WCHA coverage has been lacking when compared to past seasons. Not only late being put up, but most of the blog entries seem short and pretty superficial compared to previous years more in depth coverage. Maybe the guys who do it now have less time for such things then they did in years past......I doubt people are knocking down doors to write these columns.
              No picks last week, no weekend recap this week, very few game recaps. Michigan Tech and Bowling Green (and occasionally Ferris State) seem to be the only league teams that have game recaps posted on USCHO. A quick look around and most of the other leagues have no problem with those.
              Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

The issue with MSU being in the run for an at-large bid regardless of the playoff results is that the loss could indeed affect them. I've got $20 on "one-bid league".

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well not the greatest showing. Our best two teams lost to two mid level or lower NCHC teams and Miami, even in the tie, looked like the better team.... And NMU couldn't get any points either. Sigh. I would have thought we could have at least got a few points out of it and I was pretty surprised by Mankato losing.
                  I was at the game and felt that MSU dictated the play for majority of the game but failed to really get any pressure on UMD. It was definitely a team they should have beat.

The wcha struggles are why we are a joke conference to other leagues. At the end of the year there are usually at least 10 to 15 games where a good wcha team lost to a lower tier team from another league. Each year it doesn't get any better and til it does we should be a 1 bid league.
                  All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                    No picks last week, no weekend recap this week, very few game recaps. Michigan Tech and Bowling Green (and occasionally Ferris State) seem to be the only league teams that have game recaps posted on USCHO. A quick look around and most of the other leagues have no problem with those.
                    I do know that Jack Hittinger left the Bemidji Pioneer before the start of the season and started a new job with the Twin Cities office for Forum Communications, a growing news conglomerate in Minnesota and the Dakotas (they may have some newspapers in Iowa and Wisconsin, I am not sure). I am sure that is cutting into his time that he can devote to writing WCHA columns.

I guess I am from the mindset that if you don't like the product that is being put out, then quit complaining and step up and put out a better product. Obviously, some people feel it can't be that hard to do or find the time to do it. It seems like at the beginning of every year, USCHO does put out an "all call" message looking for arena reporters, so the chance is there.
                    Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      I do know that Jack Hittinger left the Bemidji Pioneer before the start of the season and started a new job with the Twin Cities office for Forum Communications, a growing news conglomerate in Minnesota and the Dakotas (they may have some newspapers in Iowa and Wisconsin, I am not sure). I am sure that is cutting into his time that he can devote to writing WCHA columns.

I guess I am from the mindset that if you don't like the product that is being put out, then quit complaining and step up and put out a better product. Obviously, some people feel it can't be that hard to do or find the time to do it.
                      Just because someone comments on the lack of WCHA coverage from national outlets doesn't mean they have the ability and time to do it themselves.

I don't think anyone thinks it isn't hard or time consuming, but as a fan of the WCHA it is disappointing that the coverage is lacking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I guess I am from the mindset that if you don't like the product that is being put out, then quit complaining and step up and put out a better product. Obviously, some people feel it can't be that hard to do or find the time to do it. It seems like at the beginning of every year, USCHO does put out an "all call" message looking for arena reporters, so the chance is there.
                        I've put in for stuff at USCHO, but never heard anything. We'll see.
                        Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                          5:30 Eastern Time and still no WCHA picks column. Games start at 7:00. Poor job USCHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                            5:30 Eastern Time and still no WCHA picks column. Games start at 7:00. Poor job USCHO.
                            Ask for a refund.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                              Volunteer to do the WCHA blog then.
                              Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Watching the Bowling Green feed on WCHA.tv. I will say they have a nice crisp, clear feed. But they need to work on which camera to use. They are relying way to much on the low corner cameras and not utilizing the high center ice one enough. Low corners are nice for when there is some action in the corners, but not wjen a team is zipping the puck around on offense or when the puck is at the other end oc the ice. It leads to an almost nausious feeling as the camera has to move so much and so fast.
                                Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Working...
                                X