Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Agreed on all counts. The issue is clear; the problem is finding a solution.

BTW, how was the Senior Dinner? Hoping to hear that it was 100% positive!

That's true too.

My understanding is that they are technically are a D-1 Independent, and therefore must be included in the calculations. However I also believe that they are NOT eligible for the D-1 Tournament under their current status. But if they aren't eligible, why must they be displayed in the published Pairwise rankings? For that last question, we need help from the Pairwise guys.
    Yeah, no one has really been able to find a solution to our inconsistency issues this season. I was commenting on the pairwise earlier and I guess St. Anselm being in there is legitimate, but I agree with you, I don't think they will be making an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. I bring up the pairwise because if we had won some of these games we should have won, we would likely be in the top four as opposed to the bottom four. Fortunately for us, we came out this season and won 3 of 4 vs RMU, we went 3-0-1 vs Minnesota, and we took two games vs #1 Wisconsin. The downside is we lost games to a bunch of .500 teams that we should have beaten. I hope, moving forward, that we treat every game like we are playing Wisconsin or Minnesota.

The Senior Banquet Thursday was wonderful. Lots of emotional moments and it was great to spend time with the girls and the parents who made it in for Senior Weekend. I have come to the conclusion that we have great young ladies because we have great parents!

As for the pairwise, thanks to Robertearle for the explanation!
    Last edited by osualum86; 02-19-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

The reports of Ohio State's demise have been greatly exaggerated. I am kidding on that as I don't think anyone has actually reported "Ohio State's demise." It's a new season, a reset, as Coach Muzerall characterized it in an interview in recent days and if tonight's performance was any indication, Ohio State will be a tough out for anyone they play from here on out as they dominated tonight's game vs Minnesota State by a final score of 6-0. The Buckeyes jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period and never looked back. Credit Minnesota State for making a brief push in the second period and not quitting, but other than that, this game was all Buckeyes. Buckeye goalie Amanda Zeglen, playing in place of injured Kassidy Sauve, stopped all 21 shots she faced and made some brilliant saves. The Buckeyes outshot the Mavericks 27-21. Chloe Crosby started in net for the Mavericks and stopped 16 of the 22 shots she faced. She was relieved by Katie Bidulka in the third period and Bidulka stopped the 5 shots she faced. The Buckeyes owned the first period with 3 goals and a 14-3 advantage in shots on goal. The Mavericks came out in the second period and outshot Ohio State 14-5. The Buckeyes came out in the third period and outshot MSU 8-4 for the final 27-21 advantage. The scoring went like this ... Charly Dahlquist opened the scoring for Ohio State in what turned out to be the game-winner. Maddy Field scored the second goal and would add two more for a hat trick. Lauren Boyle had Ohio State's final goal in the first period on a power play as the Bucks went into the first intermission with a 3-0 lead. Emma Maltais scored the only goal of the second period on a breakaway as she was able to get behind the Mankato defense. Maltais' goal gave the Buckeyes a 4-0 lead at the second intermission, then Maddy Field finished off her hat trick with both Ohio State goals in the third period. The Buckeyes will go for the sweep tomorrow at the OSU Ice Rink with gametime at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Anybody wondering how the WCHA leading goal scorer and 2nd in points not make the 1st or 2nd Team....or...even get named to the rookie team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pens4 View Post
          Anybody wondering how the WCHA leading goal scorer and 2nd in points not make the 1st or 2nd Team....or...even get named to the rookie team.
          My guess is they go by the WCHA conference stats only ...not total stats

Comment

Originally posted by puckluck4 View Post
            My guess is they go by the WCHA conference stats only ...not total stats
            She is still leading scorer among freshman and 2nd when you include all classes in WCHA conference play. The puck doesn't just go in by itself and scoring is a skill not luck. I'm with Pens on this one.

Comment

The Stars are out. For a better view, come over to the WCHA thread & join me on Mount Olympus.

Comment

Originally posted by EPIC97 View Post
                She is still leading scorer among freshman and 2nd when you include all classes in WCHA conference play. The puck doesn't just go in by itself and scoring is a skill not luck. I'm with Pens on this one.
                I was just referring to the WCHA conference stats that shows she was 6th overall and 3rd among the
                freshmen in points but I'm sure there's politics too. I'm not sure how this works...do the coaches vote on this or do they just go by stats?

1 Grace Zumwinkle Minnesota FR F 24 1.12 11-16-27
                2 Emma Maltais Ohio State FR F 24 1.00 10-14-24
                3 Sydney Baldwin Minnesota SR D 24 0.92 9-13-22
                Caitlin Reilly Minnesota SR F 24 0.92 9-13-22
                5 Abby Roque Wisconsin SO F 24 0.88 6-15-21
                6 Tatum Skaggs Ohio State FR F 24 0.83 12- 8-20
                Last edited by puckluck4; 02-24-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by puckluck4 View Post
                  I was just referring to the WCHA conference stats that shows she was 6th overall and 3rd among the
                  freshmen in points but I'm sure there's politics too. I'm not sure how this works...do the coaches vote on this or do they just go by stats?
                  Voted by the coaches, both head and assistant. I generally don't read too much into this. Having watched a lot of Gopher hockey this year, I'd have put Nicole Schammel on the second team ahead of Caitlyn Reilly, for instance.

Comment

Some contended that this series would be a big challenge for Ohio State, and at the time, I did not necessarily disagree with them, especially after the Mavericks were able to get a split with Ohio State in Mankato just two weeks ago. That was not the case as Ohio State followed up last night's 6-0 shutout with a 5-2 victory today to advance to the WCHA Final Faceoff for the first time since 2013. The Buckeyes will meet Minnesota in the WCHA semi-final game as the Gophers swept St. Cloud in their series to advance to the WCHA Final Faceoff. #1 seed Wisconsin will await the Minnesota-Duluth vs Bemidji State winner tomorrow as that series is tied 1-1 and will require a game three tomorrow in Duluth to determine who advances. As was the case in yesterday's game, the Bucks scored the game's first three goals to go out to a 3-0 lead. Minnesota State would get on the board late in the second period, but the Buckeyes never let the Mavericks get closer than a two-goal deficit. The Bucks added a goal in the third period to go up 4-1. Mankato would answer to get back to within two at 4-2. The Bucks would then seal the deal with an empty netter at the end to make the final score 5-2. The Maverick goals were scored by Jordan McLaughlin and Demi Gardner. Maddy Field had two goals for the Buckeyes to add to her hat trick from Friday. Tatum Skaggs scored the third goal, which turned out to be the game-winner, as well as the empty-netter at the end. Emma Maltais scored Ohio State's other goal. Shots on goal were even in this one at 31-31. Buckeye netminder Amanda Zeglen stopped 29 of the 31 shots she faced. Minnesota State goaltender Chloe Crosby saved 26 of the 30 shots she faced. She was pulled for an extra attacker late in the third period and Tatum Skaggs deposited Ohio State's 31st shot into the back of the Mankato net. Faceoffs were fairly even tonight with MSU holding a 25-22 edge in the faceoff dot. Minnesota State's season ends with a record of 5-28-1. Good luck next season to the Minnesota State players and coaches.
                    Last edited by osualum86; 02-24-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                      Some contended that this series would be a big challenge for Ohio State, and at the time, I did not necessarily disagree with them, especially after the Mavericks were able to get a split with Ohio State in Mankato just two weeks ago. That was not the case as Ohio State followed up last night's 6-0 shutout with a 5-2 victory today to advance to the WCHA Final Faceoff for the first time since 2013. The Buckeyes will meet Minnesota in the WCHA semi-final game as the Gophers swept St. Cloud in their series to advance to the WCHA Final Faceoff. #1 seed Wisconsin will await the Minnesota-Duluth vs Bemidji State winner tomorrow as that series is tied 1-1 and will require a game three tomorrow in Duluth to determine who advances. As was the case in yesterday's game, the Bucks scored the game's first three goals to go out to a 3-0 lead. Minnesota State would get on the board late in the second period, but the Buckeyes never let the Mavericks get closer than a two-goal deficit. The Bucks added a goal in the third period to go up 4-1. Mankato would answer to get back to within two at 4-2. The Bucks would then seal the deal with an empty netter at the end to make the final score 5-2. The Maverick goals were scored by Jordan McLaughlin and Demi Gardner. Maddy Field had two goals for the Buckeyes to add to her hat trick from Friday. Tatum Skaggs scored the third goal, which turned out to be the game-winner, as well as the empty-netter at the end. Emma Maltais scored Ohio State's other goal. Shots on goal were even in this one at 31-31. Buckeye netminder Amanda Zeglen stopped 29 of the 31 shots she faced. Minnesota State goaltender Chloe Crosby saved 26 of the 30 shots she faced. She was pulled for an extra attacker late in the third period and Tatum Skaggs deposited Ohio State's 31st shot into the back of the Mankato net. Faceoffs were fairly even tonight with MSU holding a 25-22 edge in the faceoff dot. Minnesota State's season ends with a record of 5-28-1. Good luck next season to the Minnesota State players and coaches.
                      I thought there was a good chance all 3 series could go three games because the home teams had all thrown clinkers this season and the visitors had all made them pay when they did. Congratulations to OSU! Hope you understand if I don't wish you luck for your next game.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        I thought there was a good chance all 3 series could go three games because the home teams had all thrown clinkers this season and the visitors had all made them pay when they did. Congratulations to OSU! Hope you understand if I don't wish you luck for your next game.
                        Yeah, and like I said, I didn't come out and say it, but I did not disagree with anyone who did say this series would be a challenge. I actually thought St. Cloud would give your team a bigger challenge with those goaltenders of theirs, so that was a good series for the Gophers. And yes, LOL, I understand if you don't wish us luck for the next game. I still think the WCHA gets three teams in, but then, I am no expert on the pairwise. Wisconsin will obviously get to host someone at LaBahn. I think our two teams will be going on the road, we just don't know where yet. I am hoping for a reasonable drive somewhere. I was told it is mathematically impossible for us to move up into the top four and get a home game, so yesterday was our last game at the OSU Ice Rink for this season. It was a great year in the old barn ... the only blemishes were a couple losses and a couple ties. I felt bad telling all our girls yesterday that we were not going to be at the WCHA Final Faceoff, but Mrs 86 and I are saving our coin for the NCAA Tournament trips. It will be an interesting last three weekends of the season, that is for sure! And if our season does not culminate in a win on that last day of the season, we will have a ton of talent back next season to try again! This is just the beginning, the tip of the iceberg. I cannot help but be excited about the future of this program. You are going to probably laugh at this because it has probably been going on for years in Minneapolis, but here in Cbus, we are finally to the point now where the tv stations are actually sending a camera person to the games and we are seeing highlights of OSU Women's Hockey games on the news. It has been a great season down here. Coach Nadine has definitely changed the culture down here, and I hope she is here for a long time! Guess we owe you guys for sending us Coach Nadine!

Comment

It was a soggy Saturday in Columbus. Thick clouds. Tougher than usual to see the Stars. But I believe I found 4 good ones. Check it out on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            It was a soggy Saturday in Columbus. Thick clouds. Tougher than usual to see the Stars. But I believe I found 4 good ones. Check it out on the WCHA thread.
                            So, I read that Sauve did not dress "due to injury". I am curious if anyone knows the nature of the injury and/or if she will be ready for next weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                              So, I read that Sauve did not dress "due to injury". I am curious if anyone knows the nature of the injury and/or if she will be ready for next weekend?
                              She was on crutches with a brace on her right knee from what i could tell.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                                She was on crutches with a brace on her right knee from what i could tell.
                                I heard her body was just a tad tender. Took the weekend off to rest up for the big matchup this coming weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X