Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    100% agree. Goalies at this level will stop the shots they can see. Not sure where those stats come from.
    complete guesswork here but lets make some assumptions (so I don't have to try to find real numbers). If a goalie makes 20-30 saves a game & gives up 2-3 goals a game that would be 10%. If so 8-12% is amazingly close to right. But you also have to assume they saw all the shots they saved, not a valid assumption, some are made by assuming what is about to happen & being right. But, to the original point, I would always prefer having my skaters block the shot

Comment

Pgb-ohio, I'm approaching the point where I am going to need you to talk me off the ledge. I honestly don't know what to say about this one. We're coming off the holiday break so fatigue is not an issue. We were down a couple of D's so we only had two lines of D's but that shouldn't have made a huge difference because Coach Nadine tends to shorten the bench anyway. Emma Maltais was in Germany tonight playing for Canada in the Nations Cup, but again, we should still have enough talented players to get the W tonight. I'll say it, the Bucks got owned on their ice earlier tonight. You wouldn't have known Penn State came in below .500 overall and just .500 in the CHA as they dominated this one by a final score of 5-1. Penn State scored three goals and were up 3-0 before Ohio State was able to get a goal in the third period to make it 3-1. Penn State got an empty-netter to make it 4-1, then added another goal for good measure after Sauve was put back in to make the final score 5-1. Honestly, if this does not wake this team up, nothing will. I am really missing the Ohio State team I saw in October right now. I would love to post all the things I heard tonight regarding this team, but I am not going to go there. I haven't wanted to admit it, but I have reached the point tonight where I think there is some truth to Puckdrop14's contention that this team is in a downward spiral. Since this team got off to a 7-0-1 start, they are just a .500 team ... 5-5-3. I am not sure how else to characterize what is going on with this team right now. Honestly, I have so many things going through my head right now about what is wrong with this team. Coach Nadine said after the game "We started off good, getting opportunities but not converting them, but we need to score and we’ve been struggling with that for far too long. We need to play like the sixth best team in the nation. Unfortunately we did not do that tonight.” It's the coaching staff's job to figure out what is wrong with the team right now and fix it. To quote a former Columbus Blue Jackets coach who I still admire (Ken Hitchcock), if he were our coach tonight, he would have said, "We wanted it to be easier than it was," or "Too many people under the bar tonight." Heck, if John Tortorella was our coach, this would have been one of those 13 second post-game pressers like the one after the Jackets got drilled at home by Edmonton 7-2 a couple weeks back. I do agree with Coach Nadine that we need to score and start playing like a top ten team. I also think we are totally not used to being the hunted. Other teams know about our record/ranking, and they are stepping it up when they play us. We need to step our game up, too, and we haven't done that for more than a month. I just hope this is rock bottom and we start coming out of it right now. I need to end my rant session and just say regardless of this recent slide, I still trust the coaching staff and the process. I still think we have great kids who can play and are talented, they just need to step it up, and as Coach Nadine says, start playing like the 6th-ranked team in the nation. No one feels worse about this game than the girls and the coaches. Tonight was Ohio State's first loss on home ice all season. The other four losses were all on the road. Well, lets get to the box score. Julianna Iafallo scored Ohio State's lone goal in the third period. The PSU goals came from Christi Vetter, Aly Hardy, Katie Rankin (2), and Meike Meilleur. The Bucks outshot Penn State 32-26. Kassidy Sauve stopped 21 of the 25 shots she faced and her counterpart for Penn State, Hannah Ehresmann, stopped 31 of the 32 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm. It will be interesting to see how Ohio State responds after tonight's performance. It is imperative that they figure things out quickly with the next four games being against top ten teams Robert Morris, then Minnesota.
      Last edited by osualum86; 01-06-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=osualum86;6581213]Pgb-ohio, I'm approaching the point where I am going to need you to talk me off the ledge./QUOTE]

To be as polite as I can. This is not a well coached team. Talent wins early, coaching wins late. Her idea of coaching is to shorten the bench which she does more than any team in the nation. That’s it. There is too much talent on this team to sit half the players while those playing continue to struggle. Girls that play half the game and every power play and have a single goal need to be replaced. Even the announcer made fun of the power play. Hate to say it but it looks like the girls have stopped playing for her.

Comment

• [QUOTE=dd17;6581239]
          Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Pgb-ohio, I'm approaching the point where I am going to need you to talk me off the ledge./QUOTE]

To be as polite as I can. This is not a well coached team. Talent wins early, coaching wins late. Her idea of coaching is to shorten the bench which she does more than any team in the nation. That’s it. There is too much talent on this team to sit half the players while those playing continue to struggle. Girls that play half the game and every power play and have a single goal need to be replaced. Even the announcer made fun of the power play. Hate to say it but it looks like the girls have stopped playing for her.
          The spiral will be difficult to reverse as this team is suffering from the Survivor Syndrome of being outplayed, outlasted and outwitted! It might get worse before it gets better. Be strong.

Comment

I wonder if some fans might be reading too much into a loss in the first game after the long mid-season break? There's still plenty of hockey yet to be played...
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

This sums up my thoughts tonight ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                I wonder if some fans might be reading too much into a loss in the first game after the long mid-season break? There's still plenty of hockey yet to be played...
                I sincerely hope you are right. Maybe some of us are reading too much into this, myself included. The next few games will give us the answer to that question.

Comment

[QUOTE=dd17;6581239]
                  Pgb-ohio, I'm approaching the point where I am going to need you to talk me off the ledge./QUOTE]

Emma Maltais is the straw in the drink for this team, not only does she rack up better than a point a game she makes everyone around her better. I really believe they miss her more than some people think. Thank God she will be around for the next few years.

Comment

[QUOTE=BigFan;6581271]
                    Originally posted by dd17 View Post

Emma Maltais is the straw in the drink for this team, not only does she rack up better than a point a game she makes everyone around her better. I really believe they miss her more than some people think. Thank God she will be around for the next few years.
                    She is obviously one of our best players, I agree with you there, and in her absence, the lines had to be juggled a little. However, I don't think that is a viable excuse for getting drilled 5-1 on home ice last night. I agree with you that it is great she will be around for three more years.

Comment

“You wouldn't have known Penn State came in below .500 overall and just .500 in the CHA as they dominated this one by a final score of 5-1“

This moment was coming for about four or five months for Penn State. There is nothing shocking about it to me. I don’t know if the phrase “better than their record” applies to Penn State, mostly because I hate that saying and the excuses it inspires, but no one has handled them easily all year. Although they’ve lost a lot there is never a blow out.

Today’s game would be a fun one to attend. 2 other CHA teams have already split with Ohio State this year. Only Penn State is in a position to get a sweep after game one of the series. I don’t think Heising scored yesterday. I will have to check and see if she played. Usually she is the one if the few to score for Penn State.
                      Last edited by Lindsay; 01-06-2018, 06:19 AM.

Comment

It is difficult to judge a team’s performance when watching a game online however it is clear that Kampersal had his team very well prepared. Forwards crowded the front of the net liberally with no push back from the Buckeyes defense. He obviously watched enough video to know that although talented offensively, the OSU defensive corps lacks toughness and aggressiveness in front of their net. As a result, theee of five goals were scored this way. It was also apparent that he would allow the offensively minded Buckeyes defense to skate the puck out of their end into the defensive zone and had his defense push them to the outside allowing no penetration into the dangerous zones. The Penn work ethic is also to be commended as they were relentless and gave OSU very little room on the ice taking away their time and space.

The Buckeyes did look better late in the game but the empty net goal was a back breaker. I always question pulling a goalie that early as it rarely works. I also believe that there is some validity in DD17’s comment that the players have stopped playing for the coach. It is almost Ottawa Senator like but can be turned around if there is open and honest communication between the staff and players.

This is a good team with a good staff and it is time to figure things out.

Comment

Pgb-ohio, I'm approaching the point where I am going to need you to talk me off the ledge.
                          Don't jump! We need you in the stands this afternoon! Unfortunately my Three Stars post probably won't be of much comfort to you. For reasons obvious to all, most of the praise went to Penn State. For better or worse, the Three Stars can found on the WCHA thread.

Emma Maltais was in Germany tonight playing for Canada in the Nations Cup, but again, we should still have enough talented players to get the W tonight.
                          While BigFan is correct about Emma's importance, I agree with you. Every team has to get past the temporary loss of one player. Injuries, Illness & International Games are part of our landscape.

I do agree with Coach Nadine that we need to score and start playing like a top ten team. I also think we are totally not used to being the hunted. Other teams know about our record/ranking, and they are stepping it up when they play us. We need to step our game up, too, and we haven't done that for more than a month. I just hope this is rock bottom and we start coming out of it right now.
                          Yes. When ranked in the Top 10, all of your opponents circle the game on the calendar, and bring their 'A' game. The Penn State players were jubilant after the game last night, and deservedly so. The Buckeyes need to internalize this lesson, and prepare to play accordingly.

Tonight was Ohio State's first loss on home ice all season. The other four losses were all on the road.
                          Good perspective. The season didn't end last night. But it most certainly was a wake-up call for the second half of the year. Much has been accomplished; but much remains to be accomplished. Don't miss the show; back off from that ledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            It is difficult to judge a team’s performance when watching a game online however it is clear that Kampersal had his team very well prepared.
                            Very true.

The Buckeyes did look better late in the game but the empty net goal was a back breaker. I always question pulling a goalie that early as it rarely works.
                            See Blais, Dean.

In the 2001 Men's National Title Game, Blais pulled his keeper with about 8 minutes left in regulation. UND got the needed goals to force overtime. Granted, pulling the goalie that early is a high risk/high reward strategy in the extreme. And sadly, Blais lost that game in OT. But it can work.

Friday night's situation? 3:03 to play. Two goals needed to tie. The Buckeyes hadn't really done much at even strength all night long. In contrast, they had broken through with the man advantage. Under the exact circumstances, I was fine with the decision. Obviously it didn't work out, but it was a long shot either way. IMHO Coach Muzz improved our odds, if only a little, by making the move.

EDIT: In the Saturday game, it was Penn State's turn to try to make up a two goal deficit as time was winding down. I didn't make a mental note of the exact time the PSU pulled their goalie. I do know that PSU got a PP with 2:33 left in regulation. I'm not sure if the goalie was pulled at the start of the power play or a moment thereafter. But either way, it was a little early by traditional standards.

Again, I endorse the coaching decision. Pulling the goalie gave the Lions a 6x4 advantage, and thus the best chance to score quickly. As it turned out, neither team scored again. Ultimately a PSU penalty with 1:03 left brought the goalie back onto the ice. For all intents and purposes, that penalty also ended the game, rendering the early goalie pull a moot point. But I still believe that it was a chance worth taking.
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-06-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                              Emma Maltais is the straw in the drink for this team, not only does she rack up better than a point a game she makes everyone around her better. I really believe they miss her more than some people think.
                              I agree. I saw the series in Minneapolis, and I doubt that the OSU would have taken any points without Maltais. Obviously in close games, that may be true about several players.
                              Last edited by ARM; 01-07-2018, 10:52 AM. Reason: Fixed quoting issue.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Ohio State is up 1-0 after two, and going by the game tracker they're leading 35-15 in shots, so it looks like they're a different team today.

Comment

Working...
                                X