X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    So is Jesus dead or alive?

The Creeds (Apostle and Nicene) tell us that He "ascended into heaven". Meaning that his corporal body went with Him when He left us ~2,000 years ago.

His mortal body died but was reanimated some 40 hours later (3pm Friday to 7am Sunday). But the God side then went to Hell (Limbo) and released all the good souls of the dead since the Fall into Heaven. Do we then conclude that some portion of Jeshua bar Yahweh didn't die when He died on the cross?

Plus, God(s) don't die. They exist in a different plane (Heaven, Valhalla, etc.) than we do. Occasionally one of them or their surrogates pierces the planes and exists in ours for a bit.

For us believing Catholics Christ's mother, Mary (Miriam), is a favorite.

A lot (all) of this is Faith. Unfortunately time travel hasn't been discovered so we don't know for sure what actually happened between Passover and Pentecost way back when.
    I'm a terrible person to try to offer an opinion on this - but of course, I'll try anyways.

For those on the literal side of the equation, it depends. It depends on how you define 'alive'. If alive is defined as alive in a humanistic way, then all evidence is that he's not alive. If you define it as his spirit, then he's apparently alive.

But for me, he's definitely alive - and not due to the creed stuff. This is because of simple algebra. God is love and God is the Word and the Word was made flesh in Jesus. By definition, Jesus is very much alive via the Word as He and God are channeled through people doing good deeds via inspiration. Frankly that's the alive that matters.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

So is Jesus dead or alive?

The Creeds (Apostle and Nicene) tell us that He "ascended into heaven". Meaning that his corporal body went with Him when He left us ~2,000 years ago.

His mortal body died but was reanimated some 40 hours later (3pm Friday to 7am Sunday). But the God side then went to Hell (Limbo) and released all the good souls of the dead since the Fall into Heaven. Do we then conclude that some portion of Jeshua bar Yahweh didn't die when He died on the cross?

Plus, God(s) don't die. They exist in a different plane (Heaven, Valhalla, etc.) than we do. Occasionally one of them or their surrogates pierces the planes and exists in ours for a bit.

For us believing Catholics Christ's mother, Mary (Miriam), is a favorite.

A lot (all) of this is Faith. Unfortunately time travel hasn't been discovered so we don't know for sure what actually happened between Passover and Pentecost way back when.
      WHere does this come from? I don't ever remember reading it. Is it Doctrine? I tried to google but didn't get anywhere.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I'm a terrible person to try to offer an opinion on this - but of course, I'll try anyways.

For those on the literal side of the equation, it depends. It depends on how you define 'alive'. If alive is defined as alive in a humanistic way, then all evidence is that he's not alive. If you define it as his spirit, then he's apparently alive.

But for me, he's definitely alive - and not due to the creed stuff. This is because of simple algebra. God is love and God is the Word and the Word was made flesh in Jesus. By definition, Jesus is very much alive via the Word as He and God are channeled through people doing good deeds via inspiration. Frankly that's the alive that matters.
      Yes!

Comment

Unfortunately time travel hasn't been discovered so we don't know for sure what actually happened between Passover and Pentecost way back when.
        Time travel would be a very bad thing for all religions.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Time travel would be a very bad thing for all religions.
          And your quest for that elusive windmill continues.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            And your quest for that elusive windmill continues.
            They might be giants.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Discovering that liberal Christian women are adopting me and holding my hand through this process.

With my trans support group, a lot of young people around my age. We are awesome.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Lutheran insults

http://ergofabulous.org/luther/
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In our country, fruit grows on trees and from trees, and meditation upon sin grows from contrition. But in your land, trees may grow on fruits, contrition from sins, people walk on their ears, and everything is upside down.
                  This sounds kind of like the "French/British/Italian/German" joke about heaven and hell.

Comment

We leave you to your own devices, for nothing properly suits you except hypocrisy, flattery, and lies.
                    Is he talking about our president?
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      Is he talking about our president?
                      Ha. I thought of that too. You could quote most of Matthew or Revelations and get the same response

Comment

• So Ash Wednesday is on Valentine's Day and Easter is on April Fool's Day this year.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Christians sue public school for not conforming to their beliefs. These particular snowflakes are upset the school is LGBT-inclusive, and are accusing the school of "pushing alternative lifestyles."

http://s.mlive.com/W1v2sKW

Well... I feel Christians have been pushing their lifestyle for roughly 2000 years. Take your medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            Christians sue public school for not conforming to their beliefs. These particular snowflakes are upset the school is LGBT-inclusive, and are accusing the school of "pushing alternative lifestyles."

Well... I feel Christians have been pushing their lifestyle for roughly 2000 years. Take your medicine.
                            "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Don't call them snowflakes, they're just like everyone else: one grubby little group that once had the muscle to foist their grubby little opinions on everyone so completely and so without thought that it was just the background noise of our culture. So it went with male chauvinists and before them white supremacists and before them anti-Semites and before them the Puritans. And so it still is with the rich.

The point is they're not special anything: just as their idea that they are specially virtuous is a delusion, the idea that they are specially evil is as well. What they are is monkeys who for a time had dominance over other monkeys and are now losing it. The monkeys are only a side effect.

The enemy is dominance. End dominance, by any grubby little group, and we can talk about a good society.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 01-23-2018, 02:58 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              Christians sue public school for not conforming to their beliefs. These particular snowflakes are upset the school is LGBT-inclusive, and are accusing the school of "pushing alternative lifestyles."

Sorry folks- public school. taxpayer dollars. The State and the school board set the agenda, not the offended ones.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Just read Origins by Dan Brown. Made me think of this thread. Anyone read it yet. About a famous, rich Atheist, with a side of inventing advanced artificial intelligence, against the establishment in Spain - well sort of- with all sorts of bits of him articulating different arguments posed regarding Atheism and the other side. Thought provoking.

Comment

Working...
                                X