• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Anything Paul wrote.
    Start with Romans 1.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I could go into further detail, but I just left my trans support group and I REALLY don't want to ruin my buzz.

The holidays will still suck, but they will suck less.
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by CLS View Post
        What line, Joe?

Bad taste? IMO yes, other reasonable people might think otherwise.

Offensive? Not to me, but I could see how some other reasonable people might be offended.

Line at which vigilante vandalism is warranted? No.

Line at which governmental action is warranted? Not even close.

Line at which the people who put up the display are unqualified to be a Senator from Alabama? Depends on your politics.
        Reasonable people are never offended by other people's beliefs. That domain is strictly for fundamentalists (of any bwlief system) or for play-acting by people who cynically rely on fundamentalists for political power.
        Last edited by LynahFan; 12-03-2017, 05:21 AM.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Reasonable people are never offended by other people's beliefs.
          White supremacists offend me, I hafta to admit to that narrow-minded skein in my reason. :-)

I know what you are getting at but "offend" isn't it. Rather, reasonable people do not seek to suppress beliefs. But we do build firewalls so those beliefs cannot be translated into action.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Reasonable people are never offended by other people's beliefs. That domain is strictly for fundamentalists (of any bwlief system) or for play-acting by people who cynically rely on fundamentalists for political power.
            I disagree. I can think of some beliefs that I think offend reasonable people. But that's moot to this discussion, because this involves being offended by an ACTION, not a belief.

Originally posted by Kepler;
            White supremacists offend me, I hafta to admit to that narrow-minded skein in my reason. :-)

I know what you are getting at but "offend" isn't it. Rather, reasonable people do not seek to suppress beliefs. But we do build firewalls so those beliefs cannot be translated into action.
            Yes, that's closer to what I THINK Lynah was trying to say. And I agree.

Comment

• "Christian" pastor calls for all gays to be executed by Christmas

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2017/11...christmas-day/

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Out of ignorance. Where?
                Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                These 2, one after the other, were funny.

I am not so sure the original texts were as sexist and homophobic as the translators made them. Also if looking at them in the context of the times and the audience they were written for makes them take on a different flavor. Personally I think the Church (Catholic originally and continuing, others over time) used Scripture to say what they wanted it to. There are plenty of places where using generic 'man' as in mankind was used to exclude women in deliberate misrepresentation. Jesus said a fair amount that was positive and inclusive regarding women but no one emphasizes that.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  Personally I think the Church (Catholic originally and continuing, others over time) used Scripture to say what they wanted it to. There are plenty of places where using generic 'man' as in mankind was used to exclude women in deliberate misrepresentation. Jesus said a fair amount that was positive and inclusive regarding women but no one emphasizes that.
                  Organized religion has always been a tool to control the masses. 'Twas ever thus.

Comment

FSM:

Last edited by Kepler; 12-04-2017, 11:18 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I need this for my bumper sticker:

Last edited by Kepler; 12-04-2017, 11:18 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Is that a rain gutter regatta boat?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Yep.

I'll amend my prior statement to be what I was really thinking, which was that reasonable people are never offended by other people's (actual*) religious beliefs.

*actual means that we're excluding beliefs that we had prior to religion and that we just made up a man in the sky to justify our prior biases - like racism, sexism, etc. Those are not religious beliefs - those are beliefs that we projected onto our own deities to assuage our consciences. I'm saying reasonable people would not be offended if someone said they believed that Zeus is real any more than they would be regarding teapots, flying spaghetti monsters, Allah, or the Christian God.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Why would you say you put so much emphasis on the Old Testament for the God in which you don't believe?
                            Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Because 99 percent of Christendom does, so we kind of have to know about it to survive in society.

And wikipedia also says that Christians believe the entire Bible is the Word of God, so I would ask why you ignore 95% of the Word of God for a God that you do believe in.
                            No.

First, every single Christian I've ever heard voice an opinion on the matter believes Jesus is part of the trinity and voicing of God. Jesus is the Gospels...and that is all. Any Christian that behaves in a manner not aligned with the teachings of Jesus is no true Christian.

Second...as wiki says, 'Christianity regards the biblical canon, the Old Testament and the New Testament, as the inspired word of God.' It is not the Word of God - that is the only Gospels. Jesus, who is God, downplayed much of the OT and countered other parts. Yet again, why would I do differently?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              No.

First, every single Christian I've ever heard voice an opinion on the matter believes Jesus is part of the trinity and voicing of God. Jesus is the Gospels...and that is all. Any Christian that behaves in a manner not aligned with the teachings of Jesus is no true Christian.

Second...as wiki says, 'Christianity regards the biblical canon, the Old Testament and the New Testament, as the inspired word of God.' It is not the Word of God - that is the only Gospels. Jesus, who is God, downplayed much of the OT and countered other parts. Yet again, why would I do differently?
                              Got news for you, the gospels were written by man and only "inspired" by God, too (with some help from the Church along the way). So parsing the definition of inspired the way you do doesn't get around the fact that mainstream Christianity, ie the Christianity the rest of us deal with on a day to day basis, believes in the entirety of the Bible.
                              Last edited by unofan; 12-04-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

BTW, a prenup is grounds for annulment in the Catholic Church (since a prenup supposes a divorce, it signals that the parties did not intend a lifetime commitment).
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X