Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Ice is down and ready. Team photos yesterday.

Six Newbies:

Eugene Fadyeyev. Forward from Kiev, Ukraine.
    Grant Gabriele. Defenseman from Brighton MI
    Tommy Nappier. Goalie from St. Louis
    Even Moyse. Goalie from Olmsted Falls OH
    Michael Rounds. Defenseman from Mt. Pleasant MI
    Austin Pooley. Forward from Dublin OH

Add in two kids who were on redshirt seasons last year:

Wyatt Ege. Defenseman from Elk River MN
    Sean Romeo. Goalie from Cary NC

Exhibition game is Sept 30 against Ryerson.
    Last edited by Draighlicht; 08-19-2017, 11:28 AM.

Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

I'm assuming Romeo will be starting the season in net? Nappier had decent numbers in the USHL last year.
    Last edited by Buckeye22; 08-23-2017, 08:51 PM.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      I'm assuming Romeo will be start the season in net? Nappier had decent numbers in the USHL last year.
      This is the biggest question mark who will be in net. I think they both play early and ride the hot hand from there.

Comment

Goaltending will be a question mark, but with the talent the Bucks have coming back, along with a talented incoming freshman class, they should be able to build on last season's NCAA Tournament appearance.

Comment

I'm assuming Romeo will be starting the season in net? Nappier had decent numbers in the USHL last year.
          I sure hope Romeo starts at least 1 game @ WI. The students will have a field day with that.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Ohio State has missed out on Columbus' boom of hockey talent
            https://theathletic.com/95646/2017/0...hockey-talent/

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

This article glosses over some things, the most obvious being that Miami's program, with all its homegrown talent, has been on a solid downward skid the last few years whereas OSU is coming off a NCAA Tournament appearance. Obviously something OSU is doing is working. That said, the perception, if it exists, amongst Columbus-area players and parents that OSU isn't taking an interest in them in any way is a cause for concern. Even if they don't turn out to be the right fit, OSU should still at least be making the effort to make local players feel like they're being noticed and that maybe further along in their Tier 1 or Junior careers they might have a chance being a fit here. I think in the long run, as hockey grows in central Ohio, doing so will only help us.
              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

This article glosses over some things, the most obvious being that Miami's program, with all its homegrown talent, has been on a solid downward skid the last few years whereas OSU is coming off a NCAA Tournament appearance. Obviously something OSU is doing is working. That said, the perception, if it exists, amongst Columbus-area players and parents that OSU isn't taking an interest in them in any way is a cause for concern. Even if they don't turn out to be the right fit, OSU should still at least be making the effort to make local players feel like they're being noticed and that maybe further along in their Tier 1 or Junior careers they might have a chance being a fit here. I think in the long run, as hockey grows in central Ohio, doing so will only help us.
                I thought the article was spot on and with Rohlik and Gene Smith refusing to comment at all it makes things look even worse. I also think the new assistant coaches will help solve that problem. And as for the Junior Blue Jackets, their coaching team now includes both former OSU coach John Markell and former OSU goalie Dave Caruso.

No question in my mind that both Mark Osiecki and Steve Rohlik focused their recruiting efforts in areas with which they were familiar, and that didn't include Ohio. Perhaps with the new coaching staff (neither of whom has strong ties to Wisconsin or Minnesota) that may change. The fact that JB Bittner is already attending junior Blue Jacket games is encouraging.

As for Miami, the fact that their program has been down for the last few years hasn't stopped the flow of talent from Columbus to Oxford. When it comes to college hockey Columbus is still a Miami town. It's up to the OSU staff to change that. Miami isn't going away.

Bottom line - OSU has some work to do in their own back yard and I'm happy someone pointed it out in public.

Comment

Two things. The writer completely gets it wrong about King Football marginalizing non-revenue sports. Had he bothered to glance at the Athletic Directors' Cup standings for the last twenty years, he'd see that Ohio State is a perennial top 10 finisher (usually top 5) with multiple national championships spread out over several Olympic Sports programs. Just this past year, Ohio State finished second with a national championship in Men's Volleyball, runner-up finishes in wrestling and fencing and a semi-final appearance in tennis. We fund more D1 programs than any FBS school other than Stanford, and all are fully funded with the maximum allotment of scholarships. That's hardly a Texas type athletic department that funds 16 or 17 sports so that it might funnel more money into football. Whatever problems OSU hockey has had over the years, they are hockey specific problems and not indicative of a larger neglect for non-revenue sports.

Secondly, I have to wonder whether the Wisconsin-centric staff might have a little bit of an outdated and snobbish attitude towards recruiting Ohio kids. I'm not stating it as a certainty, just saying it might be one explanation.
                  Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 09-08-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

FWIW, with three freshmen, BG has four Ohio kids this season, including one from Westerville and one from Lewis Center, both of whom played for the AAA Blue Jackets. There's an alumni roster: http://ohiobluejackets.org/Page.asp?...LUEJACKETS.COM
                    Go Falcons!

Comment

Historical question - Was there someone named Boster who used to be connected to OSU hockey? I've been trying to research this vintage jersey and have come up empty. I believe someone told me once Boster was an announcer for the team, but I can't find the post or email where someone shared that with me. Google is being unusually tight lipped and isn't telling me anything either.

It's a really nice jersey other than the nameplate that I don't believe should be present. Everything else about the jersey appears that it was a game used jersey at one point. Maybe just a fan stuck their name on the back?

Bonus question for extra credit - Can anyone tell me what year(s) this style was worn? Based on the tagging in the neck, which I've seen in other teams' jerseys, I'm thinking early 1980s era. I was able to locate an all-time numerical roster so I know who has worn #8 over the years, now I just need to narrow down the year.

Thanks - Ryan

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 09-18-2017, 08:17 AM.
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

You have to scroll down to get to it, but in this link, there is a picture of Paul Pooley, who is having his number retired. So, to answer your question about the sweater, yes, this would be a throwback to the sweaters that the Buckeyes wore in the 1980's. As for the name on the back, I was not able to find anything on that either. I am guessing it may have been a fan that had it customized. I was fortunate enough to snag one of those a while back at one of the 'Gameday With The Scarlet & Gray' events in a silent auction. Mine is a blank ... no name, no number. It is one of my favorites in my collection because those were the jerseys the Bucks were wearing when I was a student there from 1982-1986.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/100/vault.html

Comment

Both media and coaches have spoken about the season at the B1G preseason event in Chicago. Both picked the Buckeyes fifth. Both polls agreed - MN, ND, WI, PSU, OSU, MI and MSU in that order.

Jobst and Matt Weiss were listed among the fifteen players to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Historical question - Was there someone named Boster who used to be connected to OSU hockey? I've been trying to research this vintage jersey and have come up empty. I believe someone told me once Boster was an announcer for the team, but I can't find the post or email where someone shared that with me. Google is being unusually tight lipped and isn't telling me anything either.
                            That throwback Jersey was first worn in Feb 2006 when Paul Pooley's number was retired. They have worn similar jerseys a couple of times since then. #8 in 2006 was forward Tom Fritsche from Cleveland. There was an auction for those jerseys after the Pooley ceremony so I suspect that you may have Tom's 2006 jersey.

And completely irrelevant to this - Paul Pooley's nephew Austin will be on OSU's roster this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                              Both media and coaches have spoken about the season at the B1G preseason event in Chicago. Both picked the Buckeyes fifth. Both polls agreed - MN, ND, WI, PSU, OSU, MI and MSU in that order.

Jobst and Matt Weiss were listed among the fifteen players to watch.
                              Thats about where i thought they would be picked.

Comment

Working...
                              X