Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

I've argued several times in these threads for an 8-team playoff with each conference champion of the P5, the top Group of 5, and the top two at-large teams. If that was the playoff, we'd likely have:

1. Clemson (ACC) vs. 8. UCF (Group of 5)
    2. Oklahoma (Big 12) vs. 7. Wisconsin (At-large)*
    3. Georgia (SEC) vs. 6. USC (Pac 12)
    4/5 matchup: Ohio State (B1G) vs. Alabama (At-large)

*I went with Wisconsin over Auburn due to the Tigers' 3 losses.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

No thanks.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

12-0 with hornibrook was a minor miracle. I feel like bama would give clemson a better game but OSU is gonna get in. And i think clemson is gonna destroy the buckeyes again and ultimately go back to back.

Comment

After seeing these two passing games tonight i'd be ok with a 3 team field this year. Clemson gets a bye and plays winner of oklahoma-georgia.

Comment

Clemson, OK, UGA, UCF. Sure UCF is probably garbage, but everyone else has already proven they are.

Yes, I know there is a 0% chance of this happening.

Comment

Pat forde adamant that bama will be in over ohio state

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                Clemson, OK, UGA, UCF. Sure UCF is probably garbage, but everyone else has already proven they are.

I'd be good with that

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

UCF makes the most sense for multiple reasons

1. They are 12-0 and none of the other contenders for the 4th spot are overly compelling.

2. The committee clearly hates the idea of including a G5 team in the playoff, and the likelihood of Clemson blowing UCF out would give them a nice data point to relieve pressure and accusations of unfairness when they treat [G5 team de jour] with the same lack of respect they showed UCF this year.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                    Though I think it would be funny of OSU won but got left out for a 1-loss team that wasn't even in it's CCG, like Bama. No Buckeye fan would realize or appreciate the irony.
                    Well, let me borrow from FS23. I presume you're talking about this:

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    ...As for keeping a conference champion out, but letting a team that didn't even play for one in...well, all we have to do is look at last year when a 2-loss Penn State squad (that beat Ohio State) got bypassed for a 1-loss non-division winning Ohio State squad.
                    And if Ohio State is left out of the 4 team field this year, we'll have no valid complaint -- for exactly this reason.

Contrary to the little cheap shot: When last year's bid came through, people here openly worried that it was a bad precedent, one that would come back to haunt. We just didn't think the haunting would come the very next year.

OSU has a large, diverse fan base. Winning too much tends to produce that. So if you actually came to a game here, you'd find enough shallow fans to fulfill your naughty little prejudice. But you'd also have to work very hard to ignore the legion of fans who have been attending games for decades, and are well-versed in college football's history and issues.

Back to the 2017 selection process. Personally I'll embrace any bowl bid that comes our way -- playoff or otherwise. Any "right thinking fan" would do the same. But candidly speaking, we don't deserve to be in the field of 4 this year, given the precedent that's been set.

Comment

have to admit mookie cant lose as either bama or tOSU get the screw
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

So a conflict of interest question. Espn is the sec network, so it is in their best interest that bama gets in.

Hearing some of the pundits make you go- hmm.

Either way, it’s a terrible choice.

One other thing, ranking at the time of the game is pointless.
                        FSU was a top 5 team to start things. They suck in the end. So let’s at least look at the end sorta like hockey.

Comment

I guess one conclusion a person can draw from all this is that deep red states play better football. Trump taken credit on twitter yet?

Gotta go Buckeyes on that basis.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            So a conflict of interest question. Espn is the sec network, so it is in their best interest that bama gets in.

Hearing some of the pundits make you go- hmm.

Either way, it’s a terrible choice.

One other thing, ranking at the time of the game is pointless.
                            FSU was a top 5 team to start things. They suck in the end. So let’s at least look at the end sorta like hockey.
                            We don't know what the Committee thinks, but I think that's one reason why they don't do any rankings until several weeks into the season. As for the pundits, I think they recognize the ranking at the time of the game is meaningless. I've seen several comments like, "The win over Florida State means nothing now", "Fresno State being in being in the top 25 helps Alabama" and "Auburn losing to Georgia in the SEC Championship hurts Alabama".

Comment

Just to add to a previous post:

2014 Initial Playoff Rankings:
                              1. Mississippi State (finished 7th)
                              2. Florida State (finished 3rd - made playoff)
                              3. Auburn (finished 19th)
                              4. Mississippi (finished 9th)

1 out of 4. Alabama (6th); Oregon (5th); and Ohio State (16th) eventually made the playoff

2015 Initial Playoff Rankings:
                              1. Clemson (finished 1st - made playoff)
                              2. LSU (finished 20th)
                              3. Ohio State (finished 7th)
                              4. Alabama (finished 2nd - made playoff)

2 out of 4. Michigan State (7th) and Oklahoma (15th) eventually made playoff.

2016 Initial Playoff Rankings:
                              1. Alabama (finished 1st - made playoff)
                              2. Clemson (finished 2nd - made playoff)
                              3. Michigan (finished 6th)
                              4. Texas A&M (finished UR)

2 out of 4 again. Ohio State (6th) and Washington (5th) eventually made the playoff.

2017 Initial Playoff Rankings:
                              1. Georgia (finished 3rd - made playoff)
                              2. Alabama (finished 4th - made playoff)
                              3. Notre Dame (finished ??)
                              4. Clemson (finished 1st - made playoff)

3 out of 4. Best yet. Oklahoma (5th) made the playoff.

So, the initial rankings got 8/16 correct. 14/16 were ranked in the top 7 in the initial ranking.
                              Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 12-03-2017, 11:40 AM.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

For all the talk about resume and schedule, it's really simple. If you're a Power 5, have as few losses as possible.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X