Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-25-yard-line

So we have another step towards kickoffs being eliminated. At this point, they should just allow the receiving team to elect to take the ball at the 25 if they want and not even kick.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

So we have another step towards kickoffs being eliminated. At this point, they should just allow the receiving team to elect to take the ball at the 25 if they want and not even kick.
      Dumb rule change..
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Nebraska AD Bill Moos quote from yesterday:

"We might have some other schedule news here in a week or so in regards to 2022, on," Moos said. "It was something I really became a bulldog on in regards to Nebraska and some of the traditional power programs in the Big Ten not beating each other up so bad. Because in my opinion the strength of schedule really hasn’t had much impact on who’s being selected for the College Football Playoff. We are in the process of addressing that to hopefully mine another satisfaction.”

First and foremost, LOL at him insinuating Nebraska is a power program in the B1G.

Second, many took this to believe the Big Ten may be moving back to 8 confernence games.

I, for one, do not want to see that happen — I want to see Iowa play OSU, UM, MSU, and PSU more, not less.

However, and it’s still early in the playoff era, but 10 out of 10 conference champions who played 8 league games made the Playoff. 4 out of 10 conference champions who played 9 league games made the Playoff.

That’s pretty ****ing evidence in support for less conference games.

The SEC and their mid November cupcake game rather than an additional conference game sure seems to be a recipe that’s working..
        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

"We might have some other schedule news here in a week or so in regards to 2022, on," Moos said. "It was something I really became a bulldog on in regards to Nebraska and some of the traditional power programs in the Big Ten not beating each other up so bad. Because in my opinion the strength of schedule really hasn’t had much impact on who’s being selected for the College Football Playoff. We are in the process of addressing that to hopefully mine another satisfaction.”

First and foremost, LOL at him insinuating Nebraska is a power program in the B1G.

Second, many took this to believe the Big Ten may be moving back to 8 confernence games.

I, for one, do not want to see that happen — I want to see Iowa play OSU, UM, MSU, and PSU more, not less.

However, and it’s still early in the playoff era, but 10 out of 10 conference champions who played 8 league games made the Playoff. 4 out of 10 conference champions who played 9 league games made the Playoff.

The SEC and their mid November cupcake game rather than an additional conference game sure seems to be a recipe that’s working..
          Or maybe, it's just a coincidence that the leagues that are currently kinda lousy also play more conference games. Most of the SEC is a cupcake game for Alabama too.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Just put the ball at the 25 and be done with it. If it really is such a dangerous play, eliminate it.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The real problem/solution to this are the fans. I am not a fan of going to cupcake football games, and the prices of the tickets bear that out. So once the big stadiums stop selling out for the small games, then schools will realize that what draws high paying fans are high stakes football games. It would be interesting to see the payouts for teams that make the championship series, and how much gets shared among B1G schools. And then compare that to money lost due to light weight schools coming to town.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                So once the big stadiums stop selling out for the small games, then schools will realize that what draws high paying fans are high stakes football games.
                This will never happen at the places it needs to happen (SEC, B1G). In those places footbaw passed Jesus long ago for the #1 spot, and even if you could convince the hard core fans to skip the cupcake game, the second tier fans would stream in for their only chance to see their team in 30 years. Appalachian State will always have a full house in Ann Arbor to watch them win.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  The real problem/solution to this are the fans. I am not a fan of going to cupcake football games, and the prices of the tickets bear that out. So once the big stadiums stop selling out for the small games, then schools will realize that what draws high paying fans are high stakes football games. It would be interesting to see the payouts for teams that make the championship series, and how much gets shared among B1G schools. And then compare that to money lost due to light weight schools coming to town.
                  I skipped a wedding for Ohio State at Iowa last year. (thank God, the couple tailgates with us, and always said never will we have a fall wedding.. and what a day in Iowa City it was..) anyways, I fall into that hard core fan group Kep is talking about.

There’s only 7 times a year I get to spend in Iowa City with my dad, brother, other family and friends, etc. My season tickets allow us to park where we want, setting us up for our perfect tailgate, etc. it’s bigger than just the game — it’s the evening before hanging out and dinner having a couple drinks, waking up early, the tailgating, the people, etc. — I love when big name teams and opponents come to town, but I’m going to be tailgating with my family, enjoying the full game day experience, whether it’s Iowa vs. Ohio State or Iowa vs. Miami(OH).

Football season is such a short, sweet time of the year — this time of year, for example, I’m just itching for a game, to tailgate, see the people I love and enjoy, etc. still 100 days away. I’ll never take for granted an opportunity to spend that quality time together, so the opponent isn’t going to deter me from doing so, as they’re aren’t enough opportunities to give those up.

Now I am on the extreme side of things of course, but I know a LOT of other ticket holders who do the same.

Iowa does $25 youth tickets for those “no name” opponents, they’re part of mini season ticket packages, etc. seats will continue to be sold as long as the product on the field is competitive.

Lastly, what does it benefit Iowa competitively to drop a no name game and add a big name non conference opponent? (Especially in the 9 game B1G schedule era)

If other schools are playing 8 conference games, 1 FBS opponent, and 3 “no name” games, including one in November, competitively you’re doing yourself a disadvantage as a conference to have an additional FBS conference game to your schedule, a potential larger land mine than dropping a conference game and adding an additional no name team.

If the goal is to make the Playoff, and other conferences are making the path easier for their schools, it makes ZERO sense to play an additional conference game than others across the country, particularly when the numbers back this up.
                  Last edited by MavHockey14; 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM.
                  AF 99

Comment

I skipped a wedding for Ohio State at Iowa last year. (thank God, the couple tailgates with us, and always said never will we have a fall wedding.. and what a day in Iowa City it was..) anyways, I fall into that hard core fan group Kep is talking about.

There’s only 7 times a year I get to spend in Iowa City with my dad, brother, other family and friends, etc. My season tickets allow us to park where we want, setting us up for our perfect tailgate, etc. it’s bigger than just the game — it’s the evening before hanging out and dinner having a couple drinks, waking up early, the tailgating, the people, etc. — I love when big name teams and opponents come to town, but I’m going to be tailgating with my family, enjoying the full game day experience, whether it’s Iowa vs. Ohio State or Iowa vs. Miami(OH).

Football season is such a short, sweet time of the year — this time of year, for example, I’m just itching for a game, to tailgate, see the people I love and enjoy, etc. still 100 days away. I’ll never take for granted an opportunity to spend that quality time together, so the opponent isn’t going to deter me from doing so, as they’re aren’t enough opportunities to give those up.

Now I am on the extreme side of things of course, but I know a LOT of other ticket holders who do the same.
                    I don't know that you are that extreme. You just described perfectly why I keep going back to Lynah. It's for the hockey, sure, but mostly it's about the friends and the atmosphere. It's an extended family. I would not give that up to try to force the team to do something that was relevant to the sport. The team is, kinda, an afterthought.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Appalachian St. can only play so many B1G teams...
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Appalachian St. can only play so many B1G teams...
                        They should go Indy and just round robin the conference. 12-0 every year.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I don't know that you are that extreme. You just described perfectly why I keep going back to Lynah. It's for the hockey, sure, but mostly it's about the friends and the atmosphere. It's an extended family. I would not give that up to try to force the team to do something that was relevant to the sport. The team is, kinda, an afterthought.
                          Many of us on here likely have these kinds of feelings for our teams as well. Figured college hockey fanatics could relate.
                          AF 99

Comment

Many of us on here likely have these kinds of feelings for our teams as well. Figured college hockey fanatics could relate.
                            In all honesty I'd rather spend a weekend hanging out with college hockey fans of a team I don't root for than with professional sports fans of a team I do. One of the reasons I love Lake Placid so much is the old people from Clarkson and SLU and Dartmouth and god help me even Harvard who I sit down with, have a beer, and share memories of 80s games, and listen to some of them talk about games in the 50s.

This is the only community I've ever been part of that I could stand (and vice versa). It's my congregation.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The part I don't get is when a pro football fan wearing a jersey and baseball hat of his team, driving a car with 2 bumper stickers and a license plate holder, who just shelled out $6000 for season tickets asks me, "why would you fly back up to NY to see a hockey game?"

How does he NOT get that it's the same thing?

Happens all the time.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                The part I don't get is when a pro football fan wearing a jersey and baseball hat of his team, driving a car with 2 bumper stickers and a license plate holder, who just shelled out $6000 for season tickets asks me, "why would you fly back up to NY to see a hockey game?"

How does he NOT get that it's the same thing?

Happens all the time.
                                Crazy, isn’t it?

A little news today for B1G fans, Wisconsin at Northwestern in 2020 will be played at Wrigley Field.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X