UMD 2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMD 2017 Season Thread

BSU 1 - UMD 1 after one. SOG: BSU 14 - UMD 2!!!!!!

Rogge early in the period got her own rebound and weakly got the marker with the second shot. And that was it!!!! More than 16 minutes without a shot on goal!!! (if the stats are accurate).

BSU on a break in from Convery's right pulled Convery across the crease and then very simply raised a backhand up over Convery's pad into the OPEN part of the net. Made it look easy, which it is. Rogge, on the other hand, who has a good shot, got lucky with her weak attempt with her rebound. She should have raised it above Dowhy's pad to make sure...and she had the time to do so.

Comment

BSU 1- UMD 3 after two.

Lowenheilm on a nice blast from the point that seemed to enter a vortex in front of the net because there was a delay before it ended up in the net with force...weird.

Then Klein on a breakaway...again, made it look easy.

But then a minute or so later UMD on a delayed penalty looked slow as could be, confused, and as though they had never played together before. Kind of blew the advantage.

Then with 20 seconds left in the period Rogge hit the post from a shot close in.

UMD is starting to create opportunities but this is a weird game and hard to watch at times. Not the energy level of their last series or even of yesterday's game. Sometimes it grinds almost to a halt with no one seemingly interested in injecting some energy into the game, either side.

Comment

BSU 1 - UMD 4 final.

Early in the period Mrzova deflected a shot by Elmes.

The 'Dogs score 4 on 19 shots while not creating anywhere near the number of opportunities that they did yesterday but substantially increasing their conversion rate to stay alive.

Both teams looked so lethargic at times that I wonder if illness is making its way through their ranks.

Comment

BSU 1 - UMD 0 after one. SOG BSU 15 - UMD 7

Should have been a routine save.

I have yet to detect a spark in the 'Dogs that would be consistent with some of their post game remarks from yesterday. For most of the period they looked like they were out for a summer stroll in the park checking out the birds and the flowers instead of being aware that their season could end today. This team in the last 2 months is like Jekkyl and Hyde.

Comment

The second period produced no change in the score. SOG BSU 15 - UMD 17.

Nice effort by Rogge to split the defense all alone and with 5 green jerseys around her got a shot off on the doorstep but was denied by Dowhy. Other than that and the odd 2 or 3 second burst of speed by one player or another on either team that's about it.

The game is competitive but at a medium to medium low level. It's almost like they are matching each other's intensity or lack thereof....feeding off each other...problem is there's no meat on the other one's bones.

Comment

BSU 3 - UMD 0 final...in more ways than one.

Both teams seemed to find another gear (among many that were there for the taking) in the third period.

Lowenheilm hit the crossbar on a blast from the point.

The Beavs scored their 2nd on more UMD defensive ineffectiveness in front of their own goal on a reviewed play.

And BSU with an easy empty netter on a UMD giveaway in the BSU end.

Before BSU's second goal I was thinking that no one deserved to win this game.

Not a great way to end your season...with no goals in your last game but they just have to look at their lackluster first two periods.

Defense needs to be stronger next year and the offense more consistently productive which by the recruits coming in it appears it will be.

Goaltending is covered, barring injury.

Comment

IMO, the hurdle that UMD will need to clear next year will just be replacing so many shifts on the blue line. I'm not saying that the senior D can't be replaced, but it will take time to replace four of them, so I could see some bumps along the way, particularly in the first half of the season.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  IMO, the hurdle that UMD will need to clear next year will just be replacing so many shifts on the blue line. I'm not saying that the senior D can't be replaced, but it will take time to replace four of them, so I could see some bumps along the way, particularly in the first half of the season.
                  Am I correct that seniors like Mrazova and Daoust and Hedin are the last of the 'Shannon Miller' recruits? That we sort of saw the end of an era today?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    Am I correct that seniors like Mrazova and Daoust and Hedin are the last of the 'Shannon Miller' recruits? That we sort of saw the end of an era today?
                    I'd imagine that people like Rooney and even Brodt are Miller's recruits. I don't have any inside knowledge, but the timing would say that is definitely true of the former and most likely the latter.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Nice to see Maddie Rooney honored between periods in front of 18,914 fans at the Minnesota Boy's State Hockey Tournament on Saturday night.

Two-Man Advantage: Tourney graced by a "golden" special guest
                      https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_art...errer_id=32760
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Nice to see Maddie Rooney honored between periods in front of 18,914 fans at the Minnesota Boy's State Hockey Tournament on Saturday night.

Two-Man Advantage: Tourney graced by a "golden" special guest
                        https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_art...errer_id=32760
                        Yes, and I seem to recall being told that she (and the rest of the team?) was/were honoured on the ice at a Wild game.

Comment

Forgot to mention here a couple weeks back while watching the Clarkson Cup that Saara Niemi (Tuominen) was the Assistant Coach of the Kunlun Red Star this year and found herself coaching her charges in the Championship Game.

She and Sarah Murray giving back to the game from high profile positions.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I'd imagine that people like Rooney and even Brodt are Miller's recruits. I don't have any inside knowledge, but the timing would say that is definitely true of the former and most likely the latter.
                            Maybe someone can explain what difference it makes who recruited them, what is more important is who coached them. It should be obvious from the coaching change at UMD that at minimum, players are doing much better academically, and I would argue on the ice as well. Players at UMD in the recent past were poster children for underachievers. Now look at OSU, players have achieved on the ice like never before. I am not familiar enough with the academic side, maybe someone more familiar can comment.

Sure, convincing a kid and their family to attend your school and join your team indicates a persuasive person, but how does persuasion relate to how they do in school or on the ice? (I do recall a particular coach trying to persuade refs to see the play the way she did, but they didn’t appear to be buying it.) And let’s not forget, sometimes these schools aren’t the student-athletes first choice, sometimes they accept the best offer they can get, or the only offer they get. And often, it isn’t the head coach doing the recruiting, it is an assistant.

Comment

• I guess the men's team coach is better than Shannon claimed he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                                I guess the men's team coach is better than Shannon claimed he was.
                                Both times UMD won, Duluth-East lost in the AA finals.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X