Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Uh, what?

They literally hoofed the ball up the field every time, hoping for something good. They couldn't complete a pass to save their life. It was pretty bad.
    I'm aware of that.
    It still wasn't as terrible as I'm seeing a lot on social media saying it was...especially... as you said before the **** game in the heat and on the road.
    Being "creative" doesn't always work...sometimes you need to be ugly to get results.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      I'm aware of that.
      It still wasn't as terrible as I'm seeing a lot on social media saying it was...especially... as you said before the **** game in the heat and on the road.
      Being "creative" doesn't always work...sometimes you need to be ugly to get results.
      I thought both sides played pretty poorly. Terrible failures to clear the ball led to both goals, and there were very few opportunities outside the goals. It was a hard game to watch.

That being said, a draw in Honduras is a decent result. If the US can knock off Panama at home and win on the road at Trinidad & Tobago, they qualify for the World Cup. It really is as simple as that.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        I thought both sides played pretty poorly. Terrible failures to clear the ball led to both goals, and there were very few opportunities outside the goals. It was a hard game to watch.

That being said, a draw in Honduras is a decent result. If the US can knock off Panama at home and win on the road at Trinidad & Tobago, they qualify for the World Cup. It really is as simple as that.
        They could use a helpful result with T&T beating Panama tonight to keep the US in 3rd. Mexico beating Costa Rica tonight would also help (CR plays Honduras next and a "we need a win to qualify" CR is better than a "* it we're already qualified" CR).
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

They could use a helpful result with T&T beating Panama tonight to keep the US in 3rd. Mexico beating Costa Rica tonight would also help (CR plays Honduras next and a "we need a win to qualify" CR is better than a "* it we're already qualified" CR).
          Both would be good results for the US, although I won't be holding out too much hope that they actually occur. Ultimately, if the United States can't beat Panama at home and Trinidad & Tobago on the road with their World Cup lives on the line, they don't deserve to go. I think they'll find a way to get those 6 points and squeak into Russia.

Assuming the US can take care of business, the fight for 4th should be pretty interesting as well. It wouldn't be shocking if Panama and Honduras put up 0 points in the last two matches of the Hex.
          North Dakota

Comment

Both would be good results for the US, although I won't be holding out too much hope that they actually occur. Ultimately, if the United States can't beat Panama at home and Trinidad & Tobago on the road with their World Cup lives on the line, they don't deserve to go. I think they'll find a way to get those 6 points and squeak into Russia.

Assuming the US can take care of business, the fight for 4th should be pretty interesting as well. It wouldn't be shocking if Panama and Honduras put up 0 points in the last two matches of the Hex.
            Mexico is winning at least. *shrug*

Panama and Honduras going 0 points in their last two is possible but that just really means Panama plays Australia.
            Last edited by Jimjamesak; 09-05-2017, 09:53 PM.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Mexico is winning at least. *shrug*

Panama and Honduras going 0 points in their last two is possible but that just really means Panama plays Australia.
              So, Mexico and Costa Rica draw. Not a great result for the US, but not the worst I guess. As expected, Panama cleans up against Trinidad & Tobago 3-0.

Current Hex Table:
              Mexico - 18 Points (Qualified)
              Costa Rica - 15 Points (Can finish no worse than 4th)
              Panama - 10 Points (+2 GD)
              USA - 9 Points (+1 GD)
              Honduras - 9 Points (-7 GD)
              Trinidad & Tobago - 3 Points (Can finish no better than 4th)

US - Panama is the key game of the final two legs. A US win coupled with a Costa Rica win at home against Honduras (and Mexico beats T&T), would put the hex at:

Mexico - 21 Points (Qualified)
              Costa Rica - 18 Points (Qualified)
              USA - 12 Points (@ T&T) (at least +2 GD)
              ----------------------------------
              Panama - 10 Points (vs Costa Rica) (at best +1 GD)
              ----------------------------------
              Honduras - 9 Points (vs Mexico) (at best -8 GD)
              Trinidad & Tobago - 3 Points (Eliminated)

In this scenario, a win against T&T assures qualification. A draw could also put us through, unless Panama beat Costa Rica by 2+ goals and tilt the GD in their favor. If the US and Panama finish even on GD, the US will likely win the tiebreaker due to having (currently) scored 5 more goals. The US may not even need a result, if Panama is unable to beat Costa Rica.

The more concerning scenario is if the US draws with Panama. That would leave the hex at:

Mexico - 21 Points (Qualified)
              Costa Rica - 18 Points (Qualified)
              Panama - 11 Points (vs Costa Rica) (+2 GD)
              --------------------------------
              USA - 10 Points (@ T&T) (+1 GD)
              --------------------------------
              Honduras - 9 Points (vs Mexico) (at best -8 GD)
              Trinidad & Tobago - 3 Points (Eliminated)

Here, the US would have to defeat T&T and then need a Panama draw/loss at home to Costa Rica to qualify 3rd. If Panama won, the US would be locked in 4th and playing either Syria (that would be interesting on multiple levels) or, more likely, Australia. The US could also potentially be eliminated from qualification altogether if they drew or lost at T&T.

In sum, the US better show up and beat Panama October 6th. If they do, they should qualify. If they don't...it gets hairy pretty quick.
              North Dakota

Comment

Ugh... This is why I hate following this team... We don't need anymore "miracle moments"... We have enough of those already... For once I'd like to see us be able to go on cruise control...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Is the record in the Hex indicative that if we make it we'll get blown out in Group anyway?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Ugh... This is why I hate following this team... We don't need anymore "miracle moments"... We have enough of those already... For once I'd like to see us be able to go on cruise control...
                    You have the makings of a fine Cornell fan.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Is the record in the Hex indicative that if we make it we'll get blown out in Group anyway?
                      Not necessarily. Our worst Hex performance in the past 2 decades coincided with our best World Cup performance in the last 87 years.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Not necessarily. Our worst Hex performance in the past 2 decades coincided with our best World Cup performance in the last 87 years.
                        Correct, it doesn't really correlate at all because the qualification process takes such a long time and USA is kinda caught a generational gap.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We can all pause to laugh at Argentina who needed an own goal to draw Venezuela and are clinging to the playoff spot in CONMEBOL
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Yeah, 2002 Qualifying was a cluster****, but the trouble in that was a terrible semifinal round where they had win on the last day to advance. Although, they did lose at home to Honduras in the Hex.

But to answer Keps question, Qualifying performance is in no way an indication of Finals performance, especially in CONCACAF. The insanity of CONCACAF Qualifying, the environments, the travel, and CONCACAF referees, are huge factors that are completely different at the World Cup. For example take Pulisic, one of the biggest things out of these two games is his need to learn that, in CONCACAF, he isn't going to be protected by referees like in Europe and learn to play through the hacking. At the World Cup he's likely to be more protected and get more foul calls.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Big Dick Bobby Wood!
                              #WoodForWood
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

what teams combined to form Atlanta United FC?
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X