Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Why not both? JJAK is right on with the dearth of talent, but also…

There are some excellent players in Germany right now that barely saw call ups in the Hex. Sure, Johansson and Brooks were injured, but why are we leaving Fabian Johnson out? Tim Chandler?
    Oh Bruce definitely deserves plenty of blame for questionable call ups. FabJo should've been on the roster but Tim Chandler has been terrible for the US.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      It sounds like college soccer is where college hockey was in 1965. Is there a systemic reason to doubt that 20-30 years down the line college soccer won't rival European development in the way college hockey came to rival the Major Juniors?

What drove the improvement of college hockey and how can we do the same with college soccer?
      Because soccer is not hockey. Playing in the NHL at 16 is unheard of, and illegal now, but common in soccer.

Frankly, college soccer needs to be completely divorced from the NCAA and run by the USSF. Basically say, "you're not on scholarship, you're on four year professional contract." Force the programs into the system, FIFA rules, longer seasons, more training, force into the US Open Cup, coaching licensing etc. Wanna leave early? Club has to pay a transfer fee. Make it actual soccer, not a scam like the rest of college sports.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        This. THIS! right here is part of the problem. A kid in their teens/early 20s can be playing in MLS and be absolutely in great shape for the future. It's this disrespect FOR OUR OWN *ING LEAGUE that's part of the problem. So long as folks are willing to wake up at the crack of dawn to watch EPL but can't be bothered to watch an MLS game in the afternoon the game is this country will go nowhere, because every dime the TV networks give to the EPL and Bundesliga is a dime NOT going to soccer in the US.
        The problem is that there is no development plan to funnel kids into MLS. Any young kid that is talented is going to go over to Europe as a teen and play on development squads over there till they crack the top tier.

How do we keep a talented 14/15 year old stateside and develop them into an international player? That's where the gap is. There is no 2nd or 3rd tier option here in North America. That is what is killing MLS. MLS can absolutely develop players, but those players need to be at a certain level to start. If they are below that, they get thrown in and eaten alive like Freddy Adu.

MLS is a great farm, but seedlings get trampled and killed there. They need a nursery with protection to survive that critical 1st couple of years until they can take the perils of the big farm.

Because soccer is not hockey. Playing in the NHL at 16 is unheard of, and illegal now, but common in soccer.

Frankly, college soccer needs to be completely divorced from the NCAA and run by the USSF. Basically say, "you're not on scholarship, you're on four year professional contract." Force the programs into the system, FIFA rules, longer seasons, more training, force into the US Open Cup, coaching licensing etc. Wanna leave early? Club has to pay a transfer fee. Make it actual soccer, not a scam like the rest of college sports.
        I think we're on the same page here. It's the 2nd/3rd tier of development that is the problem.
        Last edited by RaceBoarder; 10-11-2017, 11:52 AM.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Is that how college gymnastics works? Honest question. They seem to produce globally competitive athletes in a sport where you're over the hill at 24. How do the other powers produce their gymnasts? Maybe that is the more apt model?

Football will be extinct in 20 years. All those cornerbacks and running backs are going to have to go somewhere.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            The problem is that there is no development plan to funnel kids into MLS. Any young kid that is talented is going to go over to Europe as a teen and play on development squads over there till they crack the top tier.

How do we keep a talented 14/15 year old stateside and develop them into an international player? That's where the gap is. There is no 2nd or 3rd tier option here in North America. That is what is killing MLS. MLS can absolutely develop players, but those players need to be at a certain level to start. If they are below that, they get thrown in and eaten alive like Freddy Adu.

MLS is a great farm, but seedlings get trampled and killed there. They need a nursery with protection to survive that critical 1st couple of years until they can take the perils of the big farm.
            Unless that kid has access to an EU passport they aren't leaving the US, FIFA prohibits youth players from moving abroad until they're 18.

And there is a place for kids to play professionally at a young age, the x-2 teams that MLS has in the USL, Seattle, Portland, KC, Red Bulls etc. all have them. Know why kids don't sign into those teams? Because they'll lose their precious college scholarship if they do and parents steer them away.

The system is there, it's our culture that is killing this game.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Is that how college gymnastics works? Honest question. They seem to produce globally competitive athletes in a sport where you're over the hill at 24. How do the other powers produce their gymnasts? Maybe that is the more apt model?

Football will be extinct in 20 years. All those cornerbacks and running backs are going to have to go somewhere.
              College gymnastics is a fall back for thousands that couldn't cut it at the international level.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I agree with Jim 100% that the entire youth system needs to be blown up. I am giving up my USSF reffing badge after this season because the youth system is rotten to the core and I am sick of being a part of it.

Every weekend I stand there watching Coach Dad tell his team to just give the ball to the most physically advanced kid (not via a pass, but by him taking it off their feet), who runs straight down the field with defenders bouncing off him, then shoots. Repeat in the other direction. That kid is going to stop growing in 3 years, have no foot skills, and be unable to physically keep up any more, but hey, you guys won a U-11 regional title. Congrats to the club, not for the title, but for the $1250 per kid they got 17 suckers to pay.

Comment

Unless that kid has access to an EU passport they aren't leaving the US, FIFA prohibits youth players from moving abroad until they're 18.

And there is a place for kids to play professionally at a young age, the x-2 teams that MLS has in the USL, Seattle, Portland, KC, Red Bulls etc. all have them. Know why kids don't sign into those teams? Because they'll lose their precious college scholarship if they do and parents steer them away.

The system is there, it's our culture that is killing this game.
                  I understand the frustration with the system, despite being new to soccer. However, I don't think the frustration needs to be taken out on college teams. I think we would end up running into the system that Major Junior has... lots of kids chasing a crazy dream that miss out on a college education and never make it out of the USL.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    I agree with Jim 100% that the entire youth system needs to be blown up. I am giving up my USSF reffing badge after this season because the youth system is rotten to the core and I am sick of being a part of it.

Every weekend I stand there watching Coach Dad tell his team to just give the ball to the most physically advanced kid (not via a pass, but by him taking it off their feet), who runs straight down the field with defenders bouncing off him, then shoots. Repeat in the other direction. That kid is going to stop growing in 3 years, have no foot skills, and be unable to physically keep up any more, but hey, you guys won a U-11 regional title. Congrats to the club, not for the title, but for the $1250 per kid they got 17 suckers to pay.
                    Yup, I've seen the exact same thing and it's even worse at the competitive level at Regionals. Thankfully the DA is starting to render a lot of those obsolete, now it's just a matter of transferring that system to rest of youth soccer.

As for the referee thing, don't give up the badge. I'll give you the same advice I give a lot of referees: Remember that you're an independent contractor and you can choose what games you want to ref. Tired of the youth BS? Find an adult amateur league to work. Get your upgrades to give yourself better opportunities. See about working HS and college as well, but word of caution as those two are their own minefields.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                      I understand the frustration with the system, despite being new to soccer. However, I don't think the frustration needs to be taken out on college teams. I think we would end up running into the system that Major Junior has... lots of kids chasing a crazy dream that miss out on a college education and never make it out of the USL.
                      That's why you integrate college soccer into the system. If a kid goes into USL at 16 but doesn't pan out yet there should be no problem with him going to college. The NCAA does have a problem and that's why they need to be divorced out of the system.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

By Elo, our worst loss ever.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yup, I've seen the exact same thing and it's even worse at the competitive level at Regionals. Thankfully the DA is starting to render a lot of those obsolete, now it's just a matter of transferring that system to rest of youth soccer.

As for the referee thing, don't give up the badge. I'll give you the same advice I give a lot of referees: Remember that you're an independent contractor and you can choose what games you want to ref. Tired of the youth BS? Find an adult amateur league to work. Get your upgrades to give yourself better opportunities. See about working HS and college as well, but word of caution as those two are their own minefields.
                          90-95% of my games are NFHS, I'm keeping that. What adult leagues there are around here don't really care what your certification is (or if it exists), they need warm bodies (it's mostly co-ed beer leagues). I've been fending off the guys chirping me about getting into college, that seems like heartburn.

Comment

It sounds like college soccer is where college hockey was in 1965. Is there a systemic reason to doubt that 20-30 years down the line college soccer won't rival European development in the way college hockey came to rival the Major Juniors?

What drove the improvement of college hockey and how can we do the same with college soccer?
                            College soccer plays more like u12 than the pros, and that needs to flip. The substitution rules are too generous, the use of a fixed clock, short season, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              College soccer plays more like u12 than the pros, and that needs to flip. The substitution rules are too generous, the use of a fixed clock, short season, etc.
                              Oh, we should change all the rules to align with FIFA yesterday.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Oh, we should change all the rules to align with FIFA yesterday.
                                It's what happens when allow people who a) hold historic grudges against the US Soccer/FIFA system and b) think they know the game better than others, make the rules.

And 95% of our youth soccer is designed to feed into that system.

To everyone:

Go online, look at the clubs in your area and see how many college scholarships they advertise on their websites. Look up college showcase tournaments in your area. Look at youth regional championships for the college coaches tents.

Then look at how much these clubs charge per year to play.

Then look at who runs the boards at the State level.

Then look at the voting breakdown for the board at US Soccer.

And you'll find out exactly why we can't develop players to beat T&T, Panama, and Honduras.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X