Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Hey JJ,

What is the path to becoming an MLS Official? Just curious how it compares to other sports.

Is there a direct escalation in levels (Amateur to Pro) like with NFL Officials ( High School --> Small College --> Small D-1 --> Big D-1 --> NFL)? Or is it like baseball were you need to graduate a structured evaluation program (Wendelstedt Umpire School) to get your foot into pro ball (Minor Leagues) that can allow you to progress to MLB?

Also, is there a direct cutoff between NFHS/NCAA Officials and US Soccer? It seems like you are on one side or the other with little chance of progressing on the other side...
    Step 1 is becoming a regular Grade 8, entry level referee. From there you work games to gain experience, progressing to upgrade to a Grade 7. At Grade 7 you’d work higher level youth and adult amateur matches, hopefully working Development Academy games and State Cup and Regional games, if you’re lucky you’d work in the higher level amateur leagues like the PDL, NPSL, or UPSL as an AR. At that point you upgrade to Grade 6, State Referee (not an easy process, it requires two assessments, a fitness test, and a written test that is rather difficult). You’d work amateur matches, Development Academy matches and Showcases, National Amateur Leagues like UPSL, NPSL, and the PDL. Hopefully, if you’re lucky, good enough, have the right connections, and live in the right area (or can travel), you can work as an AR or 4th official in the minor pro leagues (at this point the USL Championship and USL-2). At that point, you upgrade to Grade 5 and declare as a National Candidate. But you have to make a choice, at this point you enter the Referee track or the AR track. You attend the National Referee Camp, take the National Referee fitness test, take the National Referee test, and at some point pass your National Referee Assessments. Get through all that, and good lord is it difficult, and you’re a National Referee or National AR, but you’re not an MLS referee, not all Nationals are MLS referees. From that point you work in USL Championship, the NWSL, and MLS Preseason games hoping that PRO thinks you’re good enough and makes you an MLS referee.

HS and NCAA are not part of US Soccer so any work with them will not translate over, though generally the Division I referees will be National level guys.
    Last edited by Jimjamesak; 12-17-2018, 10:33 PM.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

@FootbalIhub: BREAKING: Jose Mourinho has been sacked by Manchester United! https://***********/FootbalIhub/stat...721030/photo/1
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        OK, I will preface this post by saying that I am a US Soccer Referee, I know a few of the PSRA referees, and I was supportive of the organizing efforts of PSRA 5 years ago.

I am not surprised by this. MLS fans hate the referees, the MLS office hates the referees, MLS coaches hate the referees. So it is unsurprising that the MLS office is forcing PRO to screw the referees by ducking negotiations. There are likely, I don't know this for sure but it is educated guess, two things these negotiations are going to be about:

1. Referees are fed up with red cards being turned over on appeal with the consent of PRO officials despite the cards being a) confirmed by VAR, b) being confirmed as correct by assessors, and c) being confirmed correct by PRO. For a team to appeal a red card in MLS a three person panel consisting of person from the USSF, the CSA (Canada), and PRO must unanimously agree that the call was incorrect.

The biggest case was this red card Ted Unkel gave in 2017. As noted by the PSRA in their response after the red card was overturned:

So despite telling the referee that the decision was correct and "Difficult" to make, they turned around and voted against him on the appeal. It's hard to effectively referee if the League is going to throw you under the bus despite them telling you did a good job.

2. Use of foreign referees. And I'm not talking about Canadians.

The PSRA, and frankly a lot of US Referees, are worried about MLS basically bringing in foreign referees to work the league in a fashion like the Saudi league is doing right now. Why should we worry about that? Look at who refereed the MLS Cup this year (and 2016): Alan Kelly, an Irish referee who "retired" to come over and work as an administrator for PRO. When MLS and PRO locked out the PSRA referees in 2014 and brought in replacement referees guess who was first in line to referee? Alan Kelly. When Kelly hit the threshold to be a PSRA member, and therefore be under the terms of the CBA, the PSRA filed a suit with NLRB against PRO because Kelly was receiving additional benefits:

Source.

MLS and PRO have already done it once and it's fairly obvious they want to do it again, otherwise they'd be negotiating a new contract fairly.
        wow...thats terrible (more the paying beyond the contract to the irish ref). Like what the hell are they thinking? You can't agree to a contract and then just ignore it because you think the irish ref is better? MLS and USSF need to invest in PRO to help make american refs better. Better pay and benefits helps and supporting referees when proper calls are made is a big start.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I didn't know you had to pay for being a kid on the pitch

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46526716
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

BOOM! per BBC

Chelsea have signed Borussia Dortmund attacker Christian Pulisic for 64m euros (£58m), but will loan the United States international back to the Bundesliga club until the end of the season
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What's the name of that web based soccer game a lot of us used to play? Forgetting the name is bothering me today.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                What's the name of that web based soccer game a lot of us used to play? Forgetting the name is bothering me today.
                Hattrick. Every once in a while I get an email asking me to restart my club. I miss the game but when I found myself forgetting to set lineups I knew it was time to walk away and not sure I'd have the time to give the attention now either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Hattrick. Every once in a while I get an email asking me to restart my club. I miss the game but when I found myself forgetting to set lineups I knew it was time to walk away and not sure I'd have the time to give the attention now either.
                  I tried getting back into it 6 months ago or so. It's gotten a lot more complex. Gave up after a week.
                  Last edited by unofan; 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised that game is still running.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      I tried getting back into it 6 months ago or so. It's gotten a lot more complex. Gave up after a week.
                      I liked when they added the youth academy feature or whatever it was called - not sure how far it's gone since then but I have to imagine it's expanded quite a bit the past decade. I had a few apps on my computer to help predict results and set lineups at the time but I can't even find time to play the PS4 I bought for the kids (not 1 single minute on it in 3 years) so as much as I'd like to pick it up again I don't see it happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        I’ve gotten back into it, though I just do the bare minimum to get by. Things I’ve noticed:

1. It is stupidly more complex than before or necessary. Skill training and how skills contribute to ratings is ridiculous. GKs require training in defense and set pieces. Why? You have to completely flip your training for weeks to train what should be useless skills.

2. Player numbers are way down. Division VI in the USA was recently cut because numbers were so low, so many bots. Even V has plenty of bots.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          I keep trying to go back and search and find the old hattrick cafe threads but can never find them. I got back into it about a year and a half ago maybe. It's very different but still the same in a lot of ways. They have a decent app now. They've lost a lot of users from their heyday but still very difficult to do well in IV and above.

I'm kind of just grinding in autopilot mode to stuff the coffers and look to make a run in a few years maybe IDK. I've enjoyed back into it.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            I’ve gotten back into it, though I just do the bare minimum to get by. Things I’ve noticed:

1. It is stupidly more complex than before or necessary. Skill training and how skills contribute to ratings is ridiculous. GKs require training in defense and set pieces. Why? You have to completely flip your training for weeks to train what should be useless skills.

2. Player numbers are way down. Division VI in the USA was recently cut because numbers were so low, so many bots. Even V has plenty of bots.
                            I feel like our clubs squared off a few months ago. Pretty sure.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              I feel like our clubs squared off a few months ago. Pretty sure.
                              It's possible, for friendlies I just join the pool.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Wolves / Leicester has been a barn burner.
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                                X