BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

We are now 3 games into the regular season and 5 games overall. I've watched the 3 season games and had family members at the two exhibition contests as well. So some early season conclusions can be drawn from the action so far heading into a huge early season match up at home against Mankato.

1) Forwards- I have been pleasantly surprised by the freshman forwards both individually and as a group. Wright, Kruse, Johnson and Ford. The 4 are all in the top 7 of team scoring leaders. I know its only 3 games in, but that's a pretty impressive start. Letourneau and Spezia have been dangerous, but only have 1 point between them. We have talked at length on here about the need for guys to bury pucks when they get a chance, these two are a prime example, but its early. Overall I have liked our forward play. We seem to be faster overall and we have controlled the better part of the 3 games....once again just need to put the puck in the net.

2) Defense- The defense has been about as I expected, not much offense outside of Rauhauser, but solid and have done well on the penalty kill as well. Freshman Wells and Musser have both played and have not looked terribly out of place, so we should have little trouble with one of them in the dressed 6 D-men every night. Smith still seems to take the bad penalty at the bad time, but he also seems to be improved in the corners over last year.

3) Goaltending- He is were there have been a few surprises. I figured Bednard would take the job and run with it as the only returner, but he hasn't. He continues to be plagued by the "soft goal" as he gives up at least one every game. They have proven to be back breakers against both WMU and MSU leading to loses in both games. Freshman Eric Dop meanwhile has played really well in both his exhibition time and the start at home this past Friday. I would expect he will start this Friday against Mankato as well. I doubt Berg is ready to pull the plug on Bednard this early, but you can tell by his interviews the bad goals are starting to get under his skin. I imagine Bednard starts Saturday, but is on a short leash, especially if Dop plays well again on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
      We are now 3 games into the regular season and 5 games overall. I've watched the 3 season games and had family members at the two exhibition contests as well. So some early season conclusions can be drawn from the action so far heading into a huge early season match up at home against Mankato.

1) Forwards- I have been pleasantly surprised by the freshman forwards both individually and as a group. Wright, Kruse, Johnson and Ford. The 4 are all in the top 7 of team scoring leaders. I know its only 3 games in, but that's a pretty impressive start. Letourneau and Spezia have been dangerous, but only have 1 point between them. We have talked at length on here about the need for guys to bury pucks when they get a chance, these two are a prime example, but its early. Overall I have liked our forward play. We seem to be faster overall and we have controlled the better part of the 3 games....once again just need to put the puck in the net.

2) Defense- The defense has been about as I expected, not much offense outside of Rauhauser, but solid and have done well on the penalty kill as well. Freshman Wells and Musser have both played and have not looked terribly out of place, so we should have little trouble with one of them in the dressed 6 D-men every night. Smith still seems to take the bad penalty at the bad time, but he also seems to be improved in the corners over last year.

3) Goaltending- He is were there have been a few surprises. I figured Bednard would take the job and run with it as the only returner, but he hasn't. He continues to be plagued by the "soft goal" as he gives up at least one every game. They have proven to be back breakers against both WMU and MSU leading to loses in both games. Freshman Eric Dop meanwhile has played really well in both his exhibition time and the start at home this past Friday. I would expect he will start this Friday against Mankato as well. I doubt Berg is ready to pull the plug on Bednard this early, but you can tell by his interviews the bad goals are starting to get under his skin. I imagine Bednard starts Saturday, but is on a short leash, especially if Dop plays well again on Friday.
      Agree with everything above. I like Kruse on the first line.

Comment

Tough matchup this weekend. A split would be good.
        Go Falcons!

Comment

3 sign NLI's with Falcon Hockey

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2017...of-intent.aspx

Comment

Here's hoping that Conquest's game lives up to his name.

Comment

General question for BG fan base. Is there a reason Bergeron doesn't shake hands with opponents? Or is that just against the mavericks? It seems a little classless but maybe there's a reason so i thought id ask.
              All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                General question for BG fan base. Is there a reason Bergeron doesn't shake hands with opponents? Or is that just against the mavericks? It seems a little classless but maybe there's a reason so i thought id ask.
                I've never really paid all that much attention. I thought most coaches shake hands with the opposing team's coaches, then watch the remainder of the handshake line. Some players will go out of their way to shake hands with the opposing coach, but I've not noticed many coaches actually participating in the handshake line.

Comment

I have never seen him shake hands with the other teams players.

Comment

Bergeron and staff always shake hands with the opponent's coaching staff after the game. After that handshake he usually waits as the two teams shake hands before heading out with the team to thank the crowd. I have watched him many times shake hands with players after they are through the player's line. Earlier in the year at BG I watched Bergeron have a nice long friendly talk with Minnesota State's coach. I also watched him spend time talking to and wishing Alaska's Justin Woods well after our series. Woods has battled cancer and has returned to play. I don't always see the coaches in the handshake line.

Comment

So we are ranked behind 2-5 Harvard that is 52nd in the PairWise.......LOL! Classic!

No wonder they went to the PairWise for NCAA tourney seeding.....so many biases in the human polls.

Comment

So we are ranked behind 2-5 Harvard that is 52nd in the PairWise.......LOL! Classic!

No wonder they went to the PairWise for NCAA tourney seeding.....so many biases in the human polls.
                        They can keep it that way as far as I'm concerned. The less hype on the team the better.

Comment

BG is CHN's "Team of the Week" after the GLI win.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/

GLI was a nice win for BG, but we did benefit from 1) Playing on the 28th against WMU- We got poor goaltending in that game, but it allowed us to get the "cobwebs" out after 20 days off. 2) UM missing 4 of their 5 best players- They had goaltending issues as well, but the loss of firepower on their offense was a plus for BG

As far as the Championship game- I watched it from end to end and after a slow start, I thought we played well. Maybe a slow start is bad terminology, I think Tech really came out hard and we didn't match it the first 15 or so minutes. You could tell they were sick of finishing runner-ups in what is basically their tourney. However, from the 2nd on i thought we matched them and then kind of broke them with the 2 goal lead.

I have watched all 3 Tech-BG games this year and I think their biggest issue is their goaltending....or lack of. If they don't get better play in net it will be hard for them to move much above .500 even though they still have some real nice forwards in Lucchini and L'Esperance.

As far as BG going forward. Tough draw having to play Monday-Tuesday and then go to Ferris this weekend, at least Big Rapids is closer than the UP or Minnesota.

BG is they same as they ever are. If we get solid goaltending we are a shot to win any game. With the 6-7 solid D-men they have been rotating now that Pohlkamp is back and Berg's defense first system they should be in every game, just can we score enough. Hopefully this weekends 10 goals is sign of good things to come in the second half offensively.

Comment

The Ferris series is Saturday/Sunday which isn't quite as bad. I don't have too much of a problem with the quick turnaround. Keep striking while the iron is hot.

I'm hoping that this past weekend is a turning point for the team in proving to themselves that they can beat anyone if they stick to and play their game. (As far as I can recall, this is the first tournament of any kind that we have won since the Holzinger era, which is a long, long time.) We have the ability to win out the rest of the regular season but it won't be easy. There are only 2 more home series on our schedule, the rest are on the road.
                            Last edited by BGFan; 01-03-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

The Ferris goalie is playing out of his mind tonight. 44 saves on 45 shots through 2 periods.

Comment

Yep....Darren Smith playing absolutely out-of-his-mind in this one.

Score is about 5 or 6-1 without his standing on his head....Bednard from BG lets in the softy on the PK too.....that's hockey.

Gotta hope we can get a few past him somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X