Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 10: The Tommy Bridges edition

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    That was loss #100 for the Orioles tonight, too.

I watched very little of the games this weekend, but I did wear my O's shirt to work on Friday to celebrate the 2 worst teams playing each other.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Alex Grammas died this weekend at 93. He was on Sparky’s staff from 1979-1991, plus the time they spent in Cincinnati.

Only Dick Tracewski and Roger Craig remain from the ‘84 coaching staff.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

goal_light

LUGO!!

6-2 Tribe, top 5

God, that was fun...

Comment

Turnbull looks headed to 3-17 on the season, leaving in the 6th in a 3-2 hole.

God, that was fun...

Comment

goal_light

RODRIGUEZ!!

5-3 White Sox, top 9.

Might be the last homer light of the year.

God, that was fun...

Comment

5-3 loss to close it out.

47-114 on the year.

Disgusting. Ridiculous.

A lot of work to do this offseason.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I know what your grades are going to be. Is it possible to hand out grades of F minus?
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

There's going to be a ****ton of F's, I guarantee you that. I'm not some beat writer from the Detroit News, who panders to the team in return for half-baked stories.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    There's going to be a ****ton of F's, I guarantee you that. I'm not some beat writer from the Detroit News, who panders to the team in return for half-baked stories.
                    No, I wonder if you're handing out grades of F-?
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

In a year where 24 teams topped 200 homers, the Tigers didn't break 150. Only the Marlins hit less bombs than the Tigers, by 3. And they bat a pitcher every day. Dead last in the majors with an absurd 582 runs. We set a major league record for most strikeouts by an offense.

INFIELD
                      Greyson Greiner: F. Gave us nothing.
                      Jake Rogers: F. Didn't hit, and his vaunted defense didn't exactly knock my socks off, either.
                      John Hicks: F. An absolute dud of a year.
                      Miguel Cabrera: D-. .744 OPS, barely average MLB hitter at this point. Power is all but gone.
                      Jordy Mercer: C. Somehow he hit .270 with a bigger OPS than Miggy. Tells you something right there.
                      Dawel Lugo: D. He's got to hit better than that to play 3B every day.
                      Jeimer Canderlario: F. You can't play every day at any position, let alone a corner infield spot, hitting like that.
                      Brandon Dixon: C-. Just a guy.
                      Ronnie Rodriguez: D. 4-A guy that every MLB team has a couple of in their system.
                      Harold Castro: C. I'd like to take another look at him next year. Acts like he wants to play every day.
                      Willi Castro: C-. Sample size not big enough for him quite yet.
                      Overall infield: F. Outside of Dixon, corner infielders gave us nothing, and we got less than that behind the plate.

OUTFIELD
                      Victor Reyes: B-. Graded as a #4 OF, not as an everyday fielder. Grade drops significantly if he's an every day guy.
                      Nico Goodrum: C. As an OF, he gets an F. As an infielder, he's a low B.
                      JaCoby Jones: D. Terrible start, season cut short due to injury. Next year will tell the tale on him. It's ****-or-get-off-the-pot time.
                      Chrisin Stewart: F. Complete disappointment. He's got to be a 25 HR guy to stay in the bigs.
                      Travis Demeritte: D-. Barely passes due to the fact that this is his first taste of big league ball. Bat needs to pick up in a hurry
                      Overall outfield: F. Not nearly enough production from the outfield.

Basically, we got a little bit out of the middle infield, but the corner infielders, the outfield, and behind the plate were all abysmal. That's how you score less than 600 runs in a season.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 09-29-2019, 09:31 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

PITCHING

14th in the AL in ERA, 14th in WHIP, 9th in strikeouts, gave up the 4th most homers in the AL.

Matt Boyd: D. Dude was a human launching pad this year.
                        Spencer Turnbull: F. Didn't win a game at home all year, led the league with 17 losses
                        Jordan Zimmerman. F. Easiest grade ever given. Wouldn't be surprised if he's released sometime during next season.
                        Daniel Norris: D. If he can't give us more than 3 innings per start, he's got to go to the bullpen.
                        Nick Ramirez: D-. Just organizational depth. Not a long term answer anywhere.
                        BUCK FUTTER: D. I just don't like the guy.
                        Fat Joe Jimenez: D. Big dropoff after last year's first half that got him to the All Star Game.
                        Drew VerHagen: F. This is what he is as a pitcher. There's no upside here.
                        Ryan Carpenter: F. No further commentary is necessary here.
                        Gregory Soto: F. Not a major league pitcher at this point.
                        Tyler Alexander: D-. Passes by the skin of his teeth. If you want to fail him, no argument here.
                        Zac Reininger: F. This guy can't pitch in the majors. A WHIP over 2.00 is absurd.
                        Edwin Jackson: F. One good start, but dude is done.
                        Victor Alcantara: F. Got overused and hasn't been the same.
                        Jose Cisnero: D. Just a guy.
                        David McKay: F. Didn't give us much.
                        Daniel Stumpf: D. Soon to be obsolete with the rule changes coming.
                        Matt Hall: F. Soft tossing lefty that gets hit hard.

Overall: F. Starters didn't give us nearly enough, Norris can't go more than 3 innings or his titties will explode or something, and the bullpen is over used and under talented.
                        Last edited by Hammer; 09-29-2019, 09:32 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

COACHING STAFF AND FRONT OFFICE

Ron Gardenhire: D-. The vast majority of this was not his fault. But he's not going to get a good grade when you lose 114 games.
                          Legendary Lloyd McClendon: F. This offense was pig****. He deserves to lose his job.
                          Rick Anderson: D-. This staff was at the bottom of the league, but he had some boat anchors on that staff.

Al Avila and Chris Ilitch: F. No way on God's green earth you get anywhere near passing when you construct a roster that fails to win 50 games.

Here's the other flashing red light: NONE of the touted kids in the minors hit this year, outside of Lugo and Castro, and they didn't exactly blow my pants off when they got to Detroit. Daz Cameron struggled to hit much more than .210 most of the year. Rogers didn't blow the cover off the ball in Toledo, either. Stewart was a dog as well, and he was supposed to be the big power bat coming up. Rogers, for all we heard about his defense, hit a whopping .125 with a .481 OPS once he got to Detroit. Very comparable to Josh Harrison, and he was an absolute zero this year.

Truthfully, less than a handful of true major leaguers were in this lineup on a regular basis. That's not the players' faults. That's front office.

Immediate needs? At least two bats, including a corner outfielder, a corner infielder, and a catcher. Grayson Greiner isn't the answer, and right now, Jake Rogers ain't it, either. We need another starting pitcher to give us 5-6 innings a night. No more of this "well he can start, but we'll go to someone else in the 4th". That doesn't cut it.

I'm not even worried about contending. This isn't even respectable or professional. This was an absolute embarrassment to the fans and the franchise. This can't happen again.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Saw on Reddit that an entire replacement level team (in terms of WAR) would go 43-119.

The Tigers finished 4 wins above that.

Mike Trout put up 8.3 WAR this season by himself.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

They're planning incentives to put butts in the seats next season.

How about field a winning baseball team first?

Comment

If you want more pain after losing 114 games, FS1 is showing a special on Armando Galarraga's "perfect game" at 10 tonight.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X