X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    it was one of those albums from the right time in my adolescence.
    Timing is everything. If you say Linda Ronstadt's Simple Dreams sucks I will fight you (admission: it does suck; Heart Like a Wheel is her great album) because I was 14 and that voice launched a thousand wet dreams.

I have been trying hard just to restrict my opinions on matters of taste to things I like. I'm sure there are people out there who hate The Gang of Four and I have no interest in their opinion at all, so why would a BJ fan care what I think?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      so why would a BJ fan care what I think?
      I am a great fan of....Oh wait, you meant Billy Joel. Never mind
      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
      Groucho Marx
      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
      Ron White
      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
      Milo Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I love Glass Houses. Probably too poppy for most but it was one of those albums from the right time in my adolescence.
        Glass Houses is when he started going downhill.Stopped doing what he was good at, and tailoredhis sound to be sorta new-wave aggressive pop, and been trend surfing ever since
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Glass Houses is when he started going downhill.Stopped doing what he was good at, and tailoredhis sound to be sorta new-wave aggressive pop, and been trend surfing ever since
          Agreed in hindsight but I was only 12 when it came out and I hadn't bought any of his previous records yet. However, Piano Man not long after became my personal standard bearer for BJ.

Comment

I disagree. I like when artist change or take chances. Take Pat Benatar for example. It immediately comes to mind because I've heard her interviewed about my favorite album of hers (Seven The Hard Way) and she's stated her hatred of it. I love it. One of my faves. I think it's vastly underrated.

KISS has had a career of taking chances and going other directions. Although Paul Stanley, and Gene Simmons and most of their fair weather fans hate the departures. I love them.

And what if the Beatles had stayed the same? Never ventured. Would we have gotten Sgt. Peppers or Revolver? Probably not.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Did you just compare Glass Houses to Sgt. Peppers?

(j/k Scoobs I just had to take the opportunity )

Comment

I disagree. I like when artist change or take chances. Take Pat Benatar for example. It immediately comes to mind because I've heard her interviewed about my favorite album of hers (Seven The Hard Way) and she's stated her hatred of it. I love it. One of my faves. I think it's vastly underrated.

KISS has had a career of taking chances and going other directions. Although Paul Stanley, and Gene Simmons and most of their fair weather fans hate the departures. I love them.

And what if the Beatles had stayed the same? Never ventured. Would we have gotten Sgt. Peppers or Revolver? Probably not.
                And there's your problem. You like Pat Benatar and Kiss.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Seeing a lot of cliched hate for Billy Joel the past few days. I get it. Slightly derivative, wasn't a rock and roller, too snobbish I don't effing care. Piano Man will forever be a guilty pleasure for me and if you disparage it again I will cut you!
                  I like a good chunk of his stuff. I don't love it, but I do like it.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    And there it is. I have eclectic taste though. I can find something good in anything.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

And there it is. I have eclectic taste though. I can find something good in anything.
                      Yoko Ono called to test that theory
                      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                      Groucho Marx
                      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                      Ron White
                      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

HEY! KISS was awesome until after '77. And I'll give them credit. There were honest about only out there for the money.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

F##k Paul and Gene!
                          -Love Peter

Comment

btw a bar I was at today played Margaretaville, it's stuck in my head and I want to hammerpunch someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              btw a bar I was at today played Margaretaville, it's stuck in my head and I want to hammerpunch someone.
                              Thirsty Pagan in Superior WI has a list of songs/artists that will get you kicked out. IIRC, the list:

"Play some Skynyrnd, man!"
                              Margarativille
                              Beth
                              Piano Man
                              American Pie

There are a couple others, too.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Thirsty Pagan in Superior WI has a list of songs/artists that will get you kicked out. IIRC, the list:

"Play some Skynyrnd, man!"
                                Margarativille
                                Beth
                                Piano Man
                                American Pie

There are a couple others, too.
                                This should be a Constitutional Amendment.

Also:

Layla
                                Stairway
                                We Are the Champions
                                Anything by the Dropkick Murphys
                                Baba O'Reilly
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X