This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

The Power Station was my fave Duran Duran spinoff. Duran Duran was around at the right time in my youth to leave a pretty lasting impression. I like all their hits. The Reflex probably is my fave.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Not gonna check till I'm done with the album in case he's one more than one track, but 99% sure that's Gilmour on The Promise and it's funny coz the long outro could easily transition right into One Slip.

And Scoob...

I ate it all up. Power Station... etc...

The Reflex was a fave and used to wait to see if it was on MTV at the top of the hour.

Loved the Rio videos too. Shot like movies in those exotic locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Hearing New Religion right now which I didn't "get" from a musical standpoint back when I was listening to this as a 12 year old fan of this band. Was a bit odd compared to what I liked.

Really the only Duran Duran song that I will seek out or choose to listen to in the past 30 years or so. Great song and well concepted.
        When I saw them back in '85('86?) that was the only song of the entire show that got my attention, that they really cranked on. The rest of the show was snoozeville.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          When I saw them back in '85('86?) that was the only song of the entire show that got my attention, that they really cranked on. The rest of the show was snoozeville.

There was footage of that live in the doc last night with Andy singing one of the parts and it sounded pretty cool.

I never saw them live as by the time I was old enough to go to shows, I wasn't into them anymore.

Was right on The Promise and Gilmour although it was pretty obvious.

Apparently also on Missing which I didn't pick up on. Listened again and still wouldn't guess it was him if I didn't know.

Following association – not only Gilmour, but 80s Gilmour…

Pink Floyd – A Momentary Lapse of Reason

I don't listen to this much at all as 99% of my Floyd listening is live recordings.

Don't dismiss or hate on it though like many Floyd heavies do.

Some really good songs on here that have become latter day Floydian classics.

Also – I much prefer it to any solo Roger works including The Final Cut.

Comment

Kiss Alive II

Obviously

\m/

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Kiss Alive II

Obviously

\m/
              One of my faves.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                One of my faves.
                First album I bought myself.

Now...

INXS - Live in 85

Saw em twice on the Kick Tour and both were excellent, high energy shows.

Comment

Oasis - Columbia.
                  Say what you want about them they had some legit songs. Noel didn't go deep lyrically until later on. Definitely, Maybe was nothing more than straight up sex, drugs and rock and roll.
                  Supersonic I still remember where I was the very first time I heard this song debut on Friday Night Videos.
                  Cigarettes & Alcohol.
                  Married With Children. Before imho Liam's voice was shot. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Supersonic
                    LOL. I thought you mean this (which I love, for the record).
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Power Station was my fave Duran Duran spinoff. Duran Duran was around at the right time in my youth to leave a pretty lasting impression. I like all their hits. The Reflex probably is my fave.
                      Still have The Power Station cassette tape. Loved their cover of Bang A Gong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vHbXI2p4k
                      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                        Still have The Power Station cassette tape. Loved their cover of Bang A Gong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vHbXI2p4k
                        There can only be one Robert song. Five different dances, none of them on beat with the time signature or each other.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2018, 01:57 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          LOL. I thought you mean this (which I love, for the record).
                          I was so hoping it was what I thought it was when I saw this post. And it was. Love busting that song out on jukeboxes at the local watering holes and everyone going "What in the actual eff?!"
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Mookie is looking forward to Shanghai karaoke bars where he will belt out some morrissey for the asiatic peoples next week!

Good stuff there
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The Verve - Lucky Man. I truly love this song. Bittersweet Symphony is what casual fans know but this song tops it for me.
                              Interpol - PDA. When the outro kicks in at 3:09? Love it every time. Not the most dynamic live band but I hope they're still touring when I get back home. Might have to settle for Paul Banks/Julian Plenti by then.
                              BRMC - Live. Chose this one because they start with, "Let The Day Begin" of The Call in which BRMC's Robert Been's father Michael was the vocalist.
                              BRMC - Baby 81 full album. For me the most underrated band ever.
                              The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Anemone. if Grace Slick and the Black Angels had a baby TBJM would be it.
                              Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection. From one of the greatest records ever made even if Ian Brown was a complete tosser and they went out in a ball of flames.

Comment

The Stone Roses - This Is The One, Fool's Gold and I Wanna Be Adored.

Comment

Working...
                                X