X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    One of those guys who even though I don't care for him basically every single musician of the last thirty years who I respect swears by him and thinks he's a genius. Men want to be him, women want to be with him. I don't see it at all but obviously they are right.

He was a great Renfield, though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2L0Cejh_UU
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      Old man rant of the day:

Why do all 20-something men look like refugees from a Civil War prison camp these days?
      I see no 20-something men at all.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Old man rant of the day:

Why do all 20-something men look like refugees from a Civil War prison camp these days?
        Because he is probably a descendant.In that case the previously mentioned Tom Waits was the lifer in that prison.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Old man rant of the day:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/33...a0a7a14574.jpg
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

While it seems that most Mats fans talk more about Tim and Let It Be (and I love both), Pleased To Meet Me might be my favorite of theirs and was the their last imho pure Mats recording. Obviously it's quite a ways in many aspects from Hootenanny, Stink or Sorry Ma.., but nothing close to All Shook Down/Don't Tell A Soul. The irreverent I Don't Know, the tracks IOU and Skyway would have fit wonderfully on Tim, their punk roots exhibited on Red Red Wine and Shooting Dirty Pool, the pure pop magnificence of Westerburg on Alex Chilton, Can't Hardly Wait, Nightclub Jitters and Valentine and the brutal honesty of The Ledge which MTV wouldn't even play because of the subject matter. The introduction of horns might have been what turned some off but I loved all of it.

Some interviews I found after digging around:

and:

“Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements”

I forgot that Tommy was quite literally a baby when they started.

A locally produced piece from 1988 talking about the, "Minneapolis Sound" this part only concentrating on The Mats and Husker Du.

I need to do a Mats marathon tonight. I play them often but not often enough and my YouTube rabbit hole adventures for their music has me pumped to listen to them all night.
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-30-2017, 04:20 AM.

Comment

And you completely skipped the best song on that record. How someone can write something so perfect just baffles me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42APBjsNIk.

Seems I know of some little band that nicked that title for one of their albums.

And if you haven't seen it, you really need to see Color Me Obsessed. A must-have for any Replacements fan.

https://youtu.be/yfSbPLABCyk

Comment

• Pink Floyd: Animals

Of what I have from them, I like this one best.

Spin Doctors: Pocket Full of Kryptonite

1993, 6th grade, Two Princes on the radio... ahh yes.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that Tommy Stinson is a Cocteau Twins fan.

https://youtu.be/curfuU6CNVc

And Setting Sons is the only Jam album I don't own. Been hoping to run across a vinyl version of that for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Pink Floyd: Animals

Of what I have from them, I like this one best.

Spin Doctors: Pocket Full of Kryptonite

1993, 6th grade, Two Princes on the radio... ahh yes.
                    Animals is brilliant, IMO. Also, underrated.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Animals is brilliant, IMO. Also, underrated.

Maybe by the general public but most Floyd fans put it right near the top of the list if not at the top like I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Maybe by the general public but most Floyd fans put it right near the top of the list if not at the top like I do.
                        I would agree with that sentiment. I know Slappy's pants get tight over the album, also.

Jammin' to my MP3 tonight, and man, Pavarotti's "Figaro" still gets me all pumped up every time. Yeah, a true exception to the rule, but JFC it's honestly moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTk79LAd0eM

Comment

Finally did the deed. Got one of these for Christmas. I had been ripping some of my music to .m4a files. Disappointed as that's like .mp3 and lossy compression. This device converts to a lossless wave format and then compresses to a lossless .flac format. I have all my music on it now. Finally dumped to large grocery sacks full of CD's and have all my music easily playable anytime I want. Ripped about 270 CD's in the process, which is what I had left after my first attempt to .m4a. Also am able to copy the .m4a files to the device and play them. Has a nice USB backup system so I have (2) backups so I never lose anything. And of course have tested the backups to make sure they worked.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Finally did the deed. Got one of these for Christmas. I had been ripping some of my music to .m4a files. Disappointed as that's like .mp3 and lossy compression. This device converts to a lossless wave format and then compresses to a lossless .flac format. I have all my music on it now. Finally dumped to large grocery sacks full of CD's and have all my music easily playable anytime I want. Ripped about 270 CD's in the process, which is what I had left after my first attempt to .m4a. Also am able to copy the .m4a files to the device and play them. Has a nice USB backup system so I have (2) backups so I never lose anything. And of course have tested the backups to make sure they worked.
                            Whoa -- I've never heard of this. Looks awesome.

Comment

Duran Duran – Rio

Yes… seriously Kep.

Watched the Classic Albums episode of this one last night which was quite interesting.

Love watching the parts of these docs where they deconstruct the song at the mixing desk. Makes you realize just how intricate a lot of these songs are.

Songs which could easily be dismissed as fluff.

And maybe they are… but they are quality fluff.

Hearing New Religion right now which I didn't "get" from a musical standpoint back when I was listening to this as a 12 year old fan of this band. Was a bit odd compared to what I liked.

Really the only Duran Duran song that I will seek out or choose to listen to in the past 30 years or so. Great song and well concepted.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-04-2018, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Well… since I'm here…

Arcadia – So Red the Rose

Always liked this one quite a bit.

Slightly more out there and interesting than Duran was.

I know Gilmour plays on at least one of these tracks although I don't know which and didn't know it back in the day.

Gonna see if I can pick him out.

Might already have it.

Sounds like him on The Promise.

Definitely Sting on background vocals.

Comment

Working...
                                X