X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I was the rare bird that liked new wave>post punk and 70s progressive music equally at the same time.
    Not rare at all. Post-punk was a logical place to go after prog -- it was aimed at smart, offbeat kids and the lyrics were interesting and complicated.

They were both oases in the vast, vacant desert of popular music.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A little further into the 80s...

Hated Talking Heads coz Burning Down the House was on MTV all the time and was a jarring and abrasive song to be hit over the head with if you didn't have an appreciation for the Heads. Shock the Monkey was much of the same and made me dislike PG.

Then my sister brought home a cassette of Stop Making Sense and I heard Psycho Killer coming from her room and I'm like... "What's this?"

So...

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Stole her tape when I could and binged hard.

Thankfully, they released the entire soundtrack eventually which is what I'm hearing now.

Comment

Psycho Killer is an awesome, awesome song.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Not rare at all. Post-punk was a logical place to go after prog -- it was aimed at smart, offbeat kids and the lyrics were interesting and complicated.

They were both oases in the vast, vacant desert of popular music.

I definitely see the connection, but I didn't know many like me nor have I ever met many.

Most in each group that I knew over the years were pretty closed minded when it came to the other kind of music.

Of course my background in prog allowed me to transition to Floyd and Zeppelin which eventually allowed me to immediately get into the Grateful Dead at my first show and that led to bluegrass, jazz, a better appreciation of Dylan and the newer jamband scene.

Which led to...

Never stop evolving!

Oh yeah and post punk led to (UB40 first, but then) Sublime which led to reggae and all kinds of reggae hybrids.

Post punk also led to actual punk and eventually hip hop and hip hop hybrids.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Post punk also led to actual punk and eventually hip hop and hip hop hybrids.
            This happened with me, too. Actually your journey sounds very similar to mine with the exception of the Dead who I personally loathe but that's probably autobiographical because my brother was a Deadhead for 30 years and really still is.

The key is to take your music from anywhere you can get it. I love musicals, which most High Culture purists disdain, and I love swing which most punk fans regard as bourgeois, and opera which everybody thinks is pretentious (trust me, it's earthy as f-ck) except Wagner which sucks. Most classical music bores me to tears which marks me as a low-brow barbarian. Oh well.

Like what you like; don't worry about what anybody thinks about it.

As for finding people with shared tastes, that's not music it's everything, and it's the human / ape problem. We are awash in a sea of genetic navel lint and we are d-mn lucky to meet another actual human in any given year. This can't have escaped your notice.
            Last edited by Kepler; 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This happened with me, too. Actually your journey sounds very similar to mine with the exception of the Dead who I loathe, but that may be biographical because my brother was a Deadhead for 30 years and really still is.

The Dead never crossed my radar until I was -redacted- after bar one night in college and my buddies were getting tix the next morning and asked if I wanted to road trip. Said there was nothing like a Dead show.

I mean... I knew of them and HATED their song Touch of Grey which was also overplayed on MTV.

I said sure, why not? Sounds fun. The rest is history.

Saying yes to that was one of the most life course altering moments of my life.

Doubt I'd have ever gotten into them if I hadn't gone to that first show(s).
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Dang!

Making Flippy Floppy is such a great jam.

Comment

Didn't like Talking Heads at first. Too quirky for this mainstream rock backwoods Maine boy. Same with the B-52's. Kid on mmy floor had their first two records and played them a lot, and I was just, unhhhh. Maybe cause I sorta despised him and his roommate too, so..........

Year later, loved the B-52's. Heard Remain in Light and blew my little head off. Amazing the difference that a year, and college, can make in one's musical tastes.

Second best show I've ever seen was the Talking Heads on their Speaking in Tongues tour. Was over 90 degrees inside the arena, and you could wring out my T-shirt after the show was over. Danced my freakin' azz off.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    Heard Remain in Light and blew my little head off
                    Fear of Music. Heard it all the way through as a tenth grader at a friend's Sweet 16 party in 1979. I'd actually gone to the party to try to, well, you know (she was cute) but it turned out she had a college boyfriend who was a college DJ -- no competing with that -- so I stewed and drank a bit until he put that on. I instantly got way more interested in him than her.

There is nothing like having all your circuits tripped at once by an artistic experience when you are so young you have no regulator and you feel everything as if it will just keep mounting forever and ever. It must be how Keats felt writing poetry. I can still remember that feeling and it's almost 40 years ago.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Yeah, Life during wartime probably began the opening up of them to me, but Remain in Light was the first album of theirs I bought. And I was off................

Comment

I love the Dead, but yeah, Touch Of Grey was meh.

American Beauty is one of the best albums ever in music.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Yeah, Life during wartime probably began the opening up of them to me, but Remain in Light was the first album of theirs I bought. And I was off................
                          Yes.

The world moves on a woman's hips
                          The world moves and it bounces and hops

World of liii---iight, she's gonna
                          Open'our eyes up
                          Not to mention the best pro-terrorist song ever written.

Oh, we were young.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I eventually burned myself out on Stop Making Sense and didn't pursue their studio catalogue until many years later.

Remain in Light floored me when I finally heard it. That's their apex for me.

Comment

Fear of Music. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb6izAqdTnc"][COLOR="#FF0000"]

There is nothing like having all your circuits tripped at once by an artistic experience when you are so young you have no regulator and you feel everything as if it will just keep mounting forever and ever. It must be how Keats felt writing poetry. I can still remember that feeling and it's almost 40 years ago.
                              The trigger for me was seeing King Crimson on this ABC Saturday Night Live copy called Fridays. Not the funniest of shows(though it did have Michael Richards in the cast), but the musical guests were top notch, at least that first year. The Clash, The Jam, Crimson, The Pretenders, Rockpile.

This edition of King Crimson was the bridge between prog and post-punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFb1Vv-RbY
                              Last edited by rufus; 12-21-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Got time for one more before quitting time.

The Cure - Head on the Door

Not my fav of theirs but was my entry point. I do like it though.

17 Seconds is my fav.

Comment

Working...
                                X