X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As far as being irritated about the culture surrounding a band, this is true of every popular band. Think about the fingernails on a chalkboard irritation of Beatles fans, or KISS fans, or the Dead, or Radiohead, or Jimmy Buffet for god's sake.

Those people irritate you? When do you even encounter them and how is it frequent enough to be bothersome?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I'm just not that crazy about Pink Floyd. I know too many people who worship them on the level that some people worship the Beatles or the Dead. Maybe I didn't smoke enough pot back in college to "get it". Sue me.

Don't sweat it.

There are Floyd fans who think The Wall is bloated - especially the last side... the Trial.

I just disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Those people irritate you? When do you even encounter them and how is it frequent enough to be bothersome?
        The mindset can be irritating. No, not to me personally -- it's all arguing over matters of taste which is absurd. Live and let live. Or that fancypants French saying, "as we cannot agree on taste, let us speak only of what we enjoy and pass over the rest in silence."
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Don't sweat it.

There are Floyd fans who think The Wall is bloated - especially the last side... the Trial.

I just disagree.
          Exactly so.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Wall is far from bloated for me (but respect anyone's disagreement) and I love listening to it start to finish. I'll also watch any, "making of" I can get my hands onto.

Referencing the above Who remarks I listed Quadraphenia as my 1st Who choice for a reason but I don't discredit Tommy as much as others seem to do.

Here's a possible fun endeavor - pick 10 albums that you think are very likely to end up on the "island list" with high frequency from the general public that if you were stuck on that same island with them would make you drown yourself.

Bieber and Swift immediately come to mind but I'll have to give it more thought later.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Referencing the above Who remarks I listed Quadraphenia as my 1st Who choice for a reason but I don't discredit Tommy as much as others seem to do.

Here's a possible fun endeavor - pick 10 albums that you think are very likely to end up on the "island list" with high frequency from the general public that if you were stuck on that same island with them would make you drown yourself.

Bieber and Swift immediately come to mind but I'll have to give it more thought later.
              The top ten weekly selling albums at any given time is not a bad place to start. Sturgeon's Law.

BTW, it appears from that list that your best sales strategy remains: dying.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM.
              Cornell University

Comment

The Wall is far from bloated for me (but respect anyone's disagreement) and I love listening to it start to finish. I'll also watch any, "making of" I can get my hands onto.
                "Bloat" isn't the word I'd use. It's hamfisted, and it seems to be the point at which Roger Waters' ego swallowed the rest of the band and their music became his narcissistic ejecta.
                Cornell University

Comment

My brothers were big into Pink Floyd back in the day, and one was into the life a bit too much. (wink, win, nudge, nudge) For Xmas one year, my brother Kurt gave my father a copy of the London Symphony Orchestra performing The Wall on cassette.

So I'm on a three-hour car ride with father, and he's playing the tape in the middle of traffic that was quickly going nowhere, Sunday afternoon heading home from the cabin. Of course I'd recognized it, even if I was only 10 or 11 at the time, and started singing along with the occasional verse. So I start up, "We don't need no education..." Immediately my father interrupts me, and starts yelling, "Oh yes, you do! Don't you ever start in with that sort of talk ever again!" I then explain that it's the lyrics to the song, and his retort was the classic "I don't give a sh--. I don't ever want hear that coming from you ever again!" "Fine."

The next time I saw Kurt, I was quick to thank him for that experience.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Bob Marley - Legend

I've wanted to murder so many tourist Deadheads in the lots over the years because of that album. They always seem to have an incredibly loud car stereo too with seemingly limitless battery life and play it for everyone within a hundred yards while they pound Bud Light and ask if anyone has any buds.

Mother ****ers.

Greatly contributed to my general disdain for Mr. Marley's hits.

That and the Jamaica commercials.

Comment

"Bloat" isn't the word I'd use. It's hamfisted, and it seems to be the point at which Roger Waters' ego swallowed the rest of the band and their music became his narcissistic ejecta.

Actually, that was The Final Cut which is essentially the first of his solo albums.

The Wall still sounds like Pink Floyd and many of their most iconic songs are from it - Another Brick... Numb... Run... Mother...

The problem with it at the time was the concurrent projects of album, movie and possible live shows. The band, from all accounts, enjoyed doing those live shows and enjoyed the end result of the album.

Of course Roger saw fit o fire Rick, but he still played the live shows because he wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        My brothers were big into Pink Floyd back in the day, and one was into the life a bit too much. (wink, win, nudge, nudge) For Xmas one year, my brother Kurt gave my father a copy of the London Symphony Orchestra performing The Wall on cassette.

So I'm on a three-hour car ride with father, and he's playing the tape in the middle of traffic that was quickly going nowhere, Sunday afternoon heading home from the cabin. Of course I'd recognized it, even if I was only 10 or 11 at the time, and started singing along with the occasional verse. So I start up, "We don't need no education..." Immediately my father interrupts me, and starts yelling, "Oh yes, you do! Don't you ever start in with that sort of talk ever again!" I then explain that it's the lyrics to the song, and his retort was the classic "I don't give a sh--. I don't ever want hear that coming from you ever again!" "Fine."

The next time I saw Kurt, I was quick to thank him for that experience.

I still have the 45 of that somewhere.

My parents were not fans.

Comment

albums that you think are very likely to end up on the "island list" with high frequency from the general public that if you were stuck on that same island with them would make you drown yourself.
                          Terrapin Station
                          Tapestry
                          Anything by the Eagles
                          The Wall
                          Clapton Acoustic
                          Tracy F-cking Chapman
                          The Les Mis Broadway cast album
                          The Les Mis Movie cast album
                          Cornell University

Comment

Terrapin Station
                            The Wall
                            Clapton Acoustic
                            Tracy F-cking Chapman
                            The Les Mis Broadway cast album
                            The Les Mis Movie cast album
                            The Rent Broadway & Movie cast albums
                            Jimmy Buffett - Songs You Know By Heart

I can listen to him a couple times a year, but Parrotheads drive me insane.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget - ANYTHING by Toby Keith.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-02-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Garth Brooks - Ropin the Wind
                              Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation or Pump
                              Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute
                              Starship - Knee Deep in the Hoopla (F##k you Grace Slick!, although I doubt anyone actually brings this one)
                              Matchbox 20 - More Than You Think You Are
                              Staind - Break the Cycle
                              Barenaked Ladies - Stunt
                              Michael Jackson - Dangerous
                              Prince - Diamonds and Pearls

Comment

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Comment

Working...
                                X