Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Given that they’re D-III, they’d have to formally play up. I’d thought the NCAA was done with that (except maybe for D-II schools due to the lack of a championship at that level).
    They are done with that. No more play-ups from D-III. UW-EC athletics would have to go D-I or D-II.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Three years of budgetary related shutdowns caused by the speaker of the house and the governor measuring dicks every summer will do that. It was the same old cut taxes, cut services, cry poor for the last few years.

Yes, there has been a flight of people leaving the state, but additional revenue sources needed to be found.
    How bad can it be? New York and Massachusetts (and to some degree Michigan and Minnesota, too) have been dealing with ridiculous state government and financial situations causing mass exodus for decades, but they've got a whole bunch of D-I hockey teams (although admittedly, only one -Cornell- of New York's could be considered even remotely a state school. SUNYs are all D-III). All the poor hockey fans of Illinois want is just one.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

All Hail

Cornell is a state school (even remotely)? Has the Ivy League been made aware of that? And BTW, Northeastern constantly gets misidentified as Northwestern in the national sports media so I guess you could say that--in a sense--Northwestern has hockey.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Cornell is a state school (even remotely)? Has the Ivy League been made aware of that? And BTW, Northeastern constantly gets misidentified as Northwestern in the national sports media so I guess you could say that--in a sense--Northwestern has hockey.
    From the Wikipedia article about Cornell

Cornell is one of ten private land grant universities in the United States and the only one in New York. Of its seven undergraduate colleges, three are state-supported statutory or contract colleges through the State University of New York (SUNY) system, including its agricultural and human ecology colleges as well as its industrial labor relations school. Of Cornell's graduate schools, only the veterinary college is state-supported. As a land grant college, Cornell operates a cooperative extension outreach program in every county of New York and receives annual funding from the State of New York for certain educational missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Cornell is one of ten private land grant universities in the United States and the only one in New York. Of its seven undergraduate colleges, three are state-supported statutory or contract colleges through the State University of New York (SUNY) system, including its agricultural and human ecology colleges as well as its industrial labor relations school. Of Cornell's graduate schools, only the veterinary college is state-supported. As a land grant college, Cornell operates a cooperative extension outreach program in every county of New York and receives annual funding from the State of New York for certain educational missions.
    Correct.

My brother-in-law went to Cornell (All Ivy League wrestler multiple years). His wife went to the State school portion of Cornell. She paid a lot less than he did.

However, I doubt any of the state funds going to Cornell goes into the athletics program. That is all funded by the private part of Cornell.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Correct.

My brother-in-law went to Cornell (All Ivy League wrestler multiple years). His wife went to the State school portion of Cornell. She paid a lot less than he did.

However, I doubt any of the state funds going to Cornell goes into the athletics program. That is all funded by the private part of Cornell.
    Very little of the private money goes to athletics, either:

Using endowments as a long-term funding model has worked well at Cornell University. Eleven of the department's 36 teams are self-funded--men's and women's polo, sprint football, baseball, men's and women's squash, men's golf, men's and women's tennis, women's equestrian, and men's lightweight rowing--and it has been this way for more than 15 years. The school primarily targets student-athlete alumni for donations, focusing on endowment gifts.

The other 25 sports have their own endowments, too, just not large enough to be entirely self-funding in perpetuity. Between endowment yield, annual donations, and other revenue sources (tickets, concessions, advertising), I believe (but could not quickly confirm) that the entire Cornell athletic department is actually revenue neutral, needing no financial support from the university itself.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Cornell is one of ten private land grant universities in the United States and the only one in New York. Of its seven undergraduate colleges, three are state-supported statutory or contract colleges through the State University of New York (SUNY) system...
    Wow. I guess the "learn something new everyday" maxim applies.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Wow. I guess the "learn something new everyday" maxim applies.
    I learned it a few years ago when some sports journalist who fancies himself an intellectual got called out for brandishing his Cornell degree, when he was from what someone else called the "milking and bovine management" part of Cornell.

Here we go

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    They are done with that. No more play-ups from D-III. UW-EC athletics would have to go D-I or D-II.
    I believe they would need to go DII before they go DI. That said, that should be sufficient for hockey.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by komey1 View Post
    I believe they would need to go DII before they go DI. That said, that should be sufficient for hockey.
    Tell that to the Northeast Ten schools that are D-II but elect to play D-III schedules anyway.

There’s literally an entire autobid sized conference of D-II teams just farting around in D-III for reasons I don’t fully understand. Maybe if Bentley and AIC show them it’s possible to play up here and not do too badly at it, they’ll change their tune? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tell that to the Northeast Ten schools that are D-II but elect to play D-III schedules anyway.

There’s literally an entire autobid sized conference of D-II teams just farting around in D-III for reasons I don’t fully understand. Maybe if Bentley and AIC show them it’s possible to play up here and not do too badly at it, they’ll change their tune? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But they choose to do that.

komey1 is accurate, if the schools choose to do that.
    Russell Jaslow

I'm guessing that they just don't want to spend the money but have enough of a donor base to keep the program running laps around the boards.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Legend in everybodys mind

Ice hockey would 'flourish' at University of Illinois, study shows

Chicago Tribune

Because I keep hearing more chatter from people out west I will be surprised if they don't announce a D1 team soon.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by komey1 View Post
    When SNC did the study a few years ago, the answer was they could stay D3 for everything else but wouldn't be able to offer scholarships in D1. Schools such as CC are grandfathered into their situation but no one else could copy it now. I don't know if that's still the case, however.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 2019
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-18, 2019
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    When SNC did the study a few years ago, the answer was they could stay D3 for everything else but wouldn't be able to offer scholarships in D1. Schools such as CC are grandfathered into their situation but no one else could copy it now. I don't know if that's still the case, however.
    And since 2011, new playups are verboten.

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    It's still the case. Just ask RIT.

And as joecct said, you can't even move one team up anymore.
    Russell Jaslow

Drunkard

The only playup situation out there are the D-II programs out there still playing D-III schedules (the NE-10 schools and Post IIRC), most of whom have women’s teams that are doing the same playup for women’s hockey.

The only playup situation out there are the D-II programs out there still playing D-III schedules (the NE-10 schools and Post IIRC), most of whom have women’s teams that are doing the same playup for women’s hockey.
    The NCAA tournament for women is a combined D1 and D2 National Collegiate Championship.

The men are D1 only. D2's can get in, but it takes a declaration by the D2 that they want to play in the shark pool.

Here we go

RIT made it from D3 to Frozen Four in a relative short period of time and has since made 3 NCAA tournament appearances with another victory over Minnesota State without scholarships. Do they need more than that?

They could start out as a cost-containment conference and limit scholarships on their own.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    The NCAA tournament for women is a combined D1 and D2 National Collegiate Championship.

The men are D1 only. D2's can get in, but it takes a declaration by the D2 that they want to play in the shark pool.
    Given the lack of a D-II championship, I’m curious if that’s much of a hurdle. But I also don’t know the NCAA bylaws, so maybe there would be fees or something beyond a bit of paperwork to deter them.

Thread Information