Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    Unless they play some games that qualify for exemption status, every team is limited to 34 regular season games.
    I had to look that one up, good call.

NCAA teams are allowed to play 34 games during the regular season, not including conference postseason tournaments and the NCAA tournament. Conferences may impose further restrictions. Some in-season tournaments, special games and games played in Alaska are exempted from the 34-game limit.
    Gophers have 35 next season. Gophers vs. UND @ Vegas, one game...winner take all sounds special. We can play in Alaska for free!

Comment

Unless they play some games that qualify for exemption status, every team is limited to 34 regular season games.
      And the WCHA had an Alaska team; it doesn't count against the 34 team if you play an Alaska team in Alaska. Also, you're permitted one international and one USA Hockey sanctioned exhibition for free.

The game vs. UND in Vegas is sanctioned by the USA Hockey Hall of Fame, and is therefore exempt.

Comment

I've got the simple answer;

Let college hockey play 8-10 more regular season games per year. (Mic drop)
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

I actually don't think it needs to even be that drastic. I'd be in favor of extending the season by 2 weeks and increasing the regular season limit to 38-40g. I think it would be a serious uphill slog, though, before that would ever come to fruition. And I can understand the arguments against it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

I actually don't think it needs to even be that drastic. I'd be in favor of extending the season by 2 weeks and increasing the regular season limit to 38-40g. I think it would be a serious uphill slog, though, before that would ever come to fruition. And I can understand the arguments against it.
            I don't think the NCAA will increase the game limit. The NCAA reduced the number of regular season games allowed from 38 to the current 34 back in 1992-93. As a way to get around the new limit a number of "pre-season" tournaments were started that asked for and received annual or bi-annual exemptions from the 34 game limit. However, after a number of years the NCAA decided to no longer grant the exemptions. The lone exception was the Ice Breaker Tournament which had it's exemption written into the DI bylaws.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Rumor has it this is a done deal. There is no way a Big Ten school comes out like this only to have egg on their face.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Rumor has it this is a done deal. There is no way a Big Ten school comes out like this only to have egg on their face.
                Not surprising. It was a done deal when the NHL coughed up $20K for the feasibility study with full knowledge the potential for program success was already there.

Comment

So Notre Dame and Illinois to B1G, ASU to the NCHC with Minnesota State?
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    So Notre Dame and Illinois to B1G, ASU to the NCHC with Minnesota State?
                    MSUM's app to join NCHC was rejected in 2016. I don't see NCHC even considering expansion to include ASU until their arena is done in late 2020. Travel costs have always been an issue for the league with the Sun Devils, and despite the fact that it's a big-name, big-time sports school, it's still a neophyte when it comes to hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      MSUM's app to join NCHC was rejected in 2016. I don't see NCHC even considering expansion to include ASU until their arena is done in late 2020. Travel costs have always been an issue for the league with the Sun Devils, and despite the fact that it's a big-name, big-time sports school, it's still a neophyte when it comes to hockey.
                      And currently travel is not an issue going from Colorado to Ohio?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        MSUM's app to join NCHC was rejected in 2016.
                        I think the wording they used was “tabled.” It wasn’t outright refused, just kept on file.
                        Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                          I think the wording they used was “tabled.” It wasn’t outright refused, just kept on file.
                          Isn't the more accurate term "they put it on ice?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            Fenton never explicitly used the word "tabled" and I never said it was "refused". In 2016 both formal apps from MSUM and ASU to the NCHC were rejected or denied "at this time". Might be revisited in the future, maybe not. But Fenton left the door open. The NCHC has proven in recent years it is one of the strongest, if not the strongest NCAA D1 conference. There's no urgency for them to expand competitively or financially "at this time".

“After careful consideration and a thorough vetting process, the National Collegiate Hockey Conference’s Board of Directors announced the Conference will not move forward with membership expansion at this time. We will continue to be attentive to the college hockey landscape and any future changes that may come. However, our focus right now is guided by what we can do to strengthen our current membership into the future," NCHC commissioner Josh Fenton said in a statement. - College Hockey News
                            Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            According to CHN, WCHA rejected ASU primarily because of geographic distance and travel expense. ASU would not supplement WCHA travel budgets much like the two Alaska teams do. Duluth to Tempe is further than BG To Tempe. BG estimated that travel cost alone was in the neighborhood of $15K/series. One of several considerations in regards to inc. travel budgets for NCHA teams. I tend to think the major factor is the arena issue though.

According to sources, the biggest factor in the talks was the nature of subsidies Arizona State would make to the WCHA and its teams, particularly in regards to travel compensation. One of the biggest factors for walking away from the deal was Arizona State's belief that the WCHA was asking for too much, and it was being leveraged because it's a large school that could theoretically afford it. - College Hockey News
                            EDIT:

Grand Forks, Oxford and Duluth are all further than BG.
                            Last edited by SteveO; 06-24-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              This latest round of press was probably just a fundraising tactic.... Convince a few more big $ donors to cough up those last few dollars to make this a reality... Seems like Illinois got a ton of $100k donors vs a single, Terry Pegula type for this deal....
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                At least there's two Colorado schools, which makes the last week's budget containment a possibility. Unless a Southern California college or maybe a UNLV puts together a hockey team, I don't foresee ASU being easily welcomed into one of the western conferences. Atlantic is a REAL longshot, but that's already a cost containment league having to house USAFA (~750 miles away).

Comment

Working...
                                X