Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Really, Illinois and most of the other Power-5 schools could fund hockey in a heartbeat if they wanted to tap into football profits instead of plowing them into outrageous coaches salaries for bloated coaching staffs, and platinum-plated "football only" dorms and training facilities. Just my .02.
    They could fund it, but D1 hockey in SEC, Big 12, and most of ACC country - outside of Nashville - would be a tremendous $ loser. A few of the Pac 12 teams could fund it and might get the necessary support, but in what conference are they going to play? Unless five start programs at the same time, they're going to have to find another home and also have enormous travel costs. But schools like Oregon State, Wazzu, and Utah aren't exactly rolling in endless dough like USC and UCLA. Losing millions per year on hockey in addition to $100M+ startup costs wouldn't work there.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Now, some of the PAC 12 schools, on the other hand…
      I spend time on the Tuscaloosa campus nearly every year. I can’t ever recall meeting someone named Billy Bob. Actually there is a pretty knowledgeable fan base in the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area. And there are those around the campus in Tuscaloosa that have dome come of the research. After all, there wete nights that the Bama D-1 club team outdrew WCHA teams. UAB does a nice job as well.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Depends on the Power 5 school you're talking about. Illinois is a logical place for hockey. Pretty sure Billy Bob down in Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee isn't pining for a hockey program.
        Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        They could fund it, but D1 hockey in SEC, Big 12, and most of ACC country - outside of Nashville - would be a tremendous $ loser.
        My post wasn't meant to imply that each and every P-5 school would want to--or even have an interest in--establishing a D1 hockey program. What it said was that Illinois and any other P-5 school interested in establishing hockey could easily fund it from football profits were it not for the fact that football profits almost universally go back into obscene salaries for bloated coaching staffs and the aforesaid platinum-plated facilities.

Put another way, if the B1G wanted a viable hockey conference bad enough, football money could easily pay for it at places like Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska, just for starters. Beyond the B1G, Syracuse in the east and Arizona in the southwest could do the same if they wanted to. And then there is UNLV. No football money but no shortage of monied interests still basking in the glow of a storied NHL season.
        Last edited by Split-N; 06-09-2018, 08:25 PM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          A few of the Pac 12 teams could fund it and might get the necessary support, but in what conference are they going to play? Unless five start programs at the same time, they're going to have to find another home and also have enormous travel costs. But schools like Oregon State, Wazzu, and Utah aren't exactly rolling in endless dough like USC and UCLA. Losing millions per year on hockey in addition to $100M+ startup costs wouldn't work there.
          Schools out west are not shy about being affiliated with multiple conferences. For example, the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation has schools from five conferences across five men’s sports and five women’s sports- Big West, Mountain West, PAC 12, WAC, West Coast Conference.

From their web site:
          The Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) was established in 1992-1993 to serve the competitive needs of member institutions from the Big West, Pacific-10 and Western Athletic Conferences, as well as other selected universities in the western United States; and to provide championships competition for Division I intercollegiate Olympic sports in a conference setting. The founding principles on which the MPSF was originally formed were to provide enhanced competition and championship opportunities for sports without conference affiliation; to contain the costs of competition; and to ensure the survival of endangered sports. The federation has also served as an incubator for emerging women's sports and as a safe harbor for sports impacted by conference realignments.

http://www.mpsports.org/about-us/mpsf-about-us.html

Just look at water polo. It’s a popular sport out west, somewhat like hockey in the east. The assorted conference affiliations will make your head spin.

So, just as a hypothetical, UCLA, USC, San Diego State, San Jose State, Stanford, Washington, and maybe Oregon or Portland State could start hockey programs and play in the MPSF. Maybe Air Force and ASU join them.

Just need a half dozen or so Pegulas.
          Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            Illini AD said it would take 50M+ to pull it off with an annual operating budget of about $1.5-2M. Although an ambitious financial goal for UI, the fund raising potential seems to be escalating.
            I truly hope that Illinois is able to add men's and Women's hockey, but the AD's estimate of an operating budget of $1.5-$2 million year is laughable. For the 2015-16 school year Ohio State had the smallest hockey expenses at $2,872,338, with Penn State the next lowest at $3,540,765. So at a minimum he will need to double the annual budget if wants Illinois to be competitive, let alone win a national championship.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

The average Big Ten operating budget for the 2016-17 season was $1.15 million with all institutions offering the NCAA maximum of 18 scholarships.

Operating budget can be different than the program budget. The study estimated the UI men’s program would have a base operating budget of $1.3 million, in addition to $877,000 allocated for 18 scholarships; a coaching salary allocation of $982,000 and administrative support expenses at $350,000.

See pgs. 16 and 23 of the UI Hockey Feasibility Study for estimated B1G baseline operating expenses > HERE

Comment

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...-illinois.html

Comment

One assumes, if this came to fruition, that the B1G would move to a 28-game quadruple round robin.

It would kind of stink for the noncon arrangements that IW and UMn use to keep (some of) the old WCHA flames alive, but it’s objectively the best format for the league.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

One assumes, if this came to fruition, that the B1G would move to a 28-game quadruple round robin.

It would kind of stink for the noncon arrangements that IW and UMn use to keep (some of) the old WCHA flames alive, but it’s objectively the best format for the league.
                    7-8 NC games is doable.

Comment

"Imagine the November excitement surrounding a 5,000-seat arena hosting volleyball on a Friday night, Big Ten hockey on Saturday and Illini wrestling on Sunday."
                      The writer clearly knows little about college hockey scheduling. I'm pretty sure if the Illini were home on Saturday night, there would not be a volleyball game in there on Friday night.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I don't think that is necessarily true. I'd probably put even money on them maintaining a 24-game schedule with a rotation and scheduling partner similar to what we saw at the end of the "old" WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          I don't think that is necessarily true. I'd probably put even money on them maintaining a 24-game schedule with a rotation and scheduling partner similar to what we saw at the end of the "old" WCHA.
                          WI-MN
                          IL-ND
                          MI-MSU
                          OSU-PSU

Rotate which pairing you only have one series against?
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            The last season in the WCHA (2012-13), Gophers had 28 conference games, 8 non-conference and 2 exhibitions (36 games excluding EXs).

But there was a rotation. Gophers played all 11 WCHA teams at least once and MNSU, UAA and UW twice. Same in 2011-12, except Gophers played UW, UND and SCSU twice.

Coming 2018-19 season, Gophers have 24 B1G conference (play every team twice), 11 non-conference and 2 exhibitions (35 games excluding EXs). I suspect the NC schedule will be cut to 7 or 9 to allow for either 4 UI games for a total of 28 conference games @ 4 games/B1G school. Or two games only for one B1G team/season for 26 conference and 9 non-conf (35 games).

Comment

WI-MN
                              IL-ND
                              MI-MSU
                              OSU-PSU

Rotate which pairing you only have one series against?
                              There are different ways you could do the rotation, but yes, that's the general idea. Play 5 teams both home and away, 1 team only at home, 1 team only away. Rotate through but maintain 1 rivalry series that you play both home and away every year.
                              Exactly what the "old" WCHA had, except obviously the numbers were different then because the league consisted of 12 rather than 8 teams.

A 28-game conference schedule used to be a standard, and for leagues like AHA and WCHA it still makes some sense, but I think the trend now is a recognition that there are some real advantages to more OOC games - particularly for the bigger schools.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                                The last season in the WCHA (2012-13), Gophers had 28 conference games, 8 non-conference and 2 exhibitions (36 games excluding EXs).

But there was a rotation. Gophers played all 11 WCHA teams at least once and MNSU, UAA and UW twice. Same in 2011-12, except Gophers played UW, UND and SCSU twice.

Coming 2018-19 season, Gophers have 24 B1G conference (play every team twice), 11 non-conference and 2 exhibitions (35 games excluding EXs). I suspect the NC schedule will be cut to 7 or 9 to allow for either 4 UI games for a total of 28 conference games @ 4 games/B1G school. Or two games only for one B1G team/season for 26 conference and 9 non-conf (35 games).
                                Unless they play some games that qualify for exemption status, every team is limited to 34 regular season games.

Comment

Working...
                                X