U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    If UNLV were to start a team, that would immediately open up conference possibilities for them and ASU. The western leagues have been formatting for the last weekend to be a bit of a "budget weekend" where you have the additional two games with your proximity partner. Phoenix and Vegas are a close (for western teams) bus ride away, I'd say about 4-5 hours. Might not be close enough for a home/home, but it's easier than a flight to any of the other locations. Then they'd be more attractive for something like the NCHC.
    I guess the VGK are quite supportive of UNLV's team. They use their practice facility as a rink, the VGK CEO is on the board and the team gets free admission to the NHL games. They play all over the country and he said there's rarely a bus trip. Seemed very happy with the state of the program and it's possibilities for success going forward.

Comment

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      I guess the VGK are quite supportive of UNLV's team. They use their practice facility as a rink, the VGK CEO is on the board and the team gets free admission to the NHL games. They play all over the country and he said there's rarely a bus trip. Seemed very happy with the state of the program and it's possibilities for success going forward.
      I suppose the next step, like ASU and PSU, is a cash infusion. If we see that, I'd say we're well on our way to UNLV having a varsity team.

Comment

AD visiting PSU hockey for “R & D”

https://***********/illiniad/status/1083898156843192321?s=21

Comment

Personally, I'm getting a bit weary of this Kabuki dance. Illinois is not exactly scratching to make ends meet. And it is not without resources, including more than a few well-heeled alums. How many years of "researching" does it take for the flagship university of a relatively prosperous state that is a major incubator of hockey talent to either dump or get off the pot with regard to hockey? Could part of the problem be that, in addition to seed money and Title IX, entrenched football and basketball interests are not excited about another varsity program that would compete for budget dollars and gate revenue?

If Illinois really wants to know how to get a program off the ground, maybe it ought to visit Arizona State.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I saw a university of Illinois hockey jersey last night at the Minnesota Notre Dame game

It must be happening 🤣
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Personally, I'm getting a bit weary of this Kabuki dance. Illinois is not exactly scratching to make ends meet. And it is not without resources, including more than a few well-heeled alums. How many years of "researching" does it take for the flagship university of a relatively prosperous state that is a major incubator of hockey talent to either dump or get off the pot with regard to hockey? Could part of the problem be that, in addition to seed money and Title IX, entrenched football and basketball interests are not excited about another varsity program that would compete for budget dollars and gate revenue?

If Illinois really wants to know how to get a program off the ground, maybe it ought to visit Arizona State.
              Didn't that artist's rendering of their new arena have them as 2022 National Champions? They better get moving!
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Coming soon? Illinois hoping to make a decision on NCAA D-I program ‘in April or May’
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

"Hoping" doesn't necessarily mean "gonna happen." As much as I'd personally like to see it happen, I'm still in the skeptical camp, given the way this has been drawn out over a period of years.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• So they are doing this through corporate donations and by selling the naming rights to the arena?
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      So they are doing this through corporate donations and by selling the naming rights to the arena?
                      However the money could be raised to make this happen. They even are considering a men’s program to comply with Title IX if they fall short. I doubt they go this far and then say no.
                      Last edited by SunDevil Hockey; 02-16-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevil Hockey View Post
                        However the money could be raised to make this happen. They even are considering a men’s program to comply with Title IX if they fall short. I doubt they go this far and then say no.
                        I agree. You don't spend this much time on something for it to go through your fingers.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevil Hockey View Post
                          Here's hoping that they just add a women's program. Of course its a money drain (as are all sports but football, men's basketball and some men's hockey programs) but Illinois has great girls hockey programs like Mission and CYA. Plus in this day in age, the optics would look really poor in my opinion. If you are building a new arena, its pretty simple to engineer in the facilities for a women's program.

Comment

70% chance Illinois announces a program during/after the Frozen Four
                            24.9% chance they announce no program now or ever
                            0.1% it’s all a ruse, U of Chicago is back in the Big Ten, and better than ever (but only for hockey)
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              70% chance Illinois announces a program during/after the Frozen Four
                              24.9% chance they announce no program now or ever
                              0.1% it’s all a ruse, U of Chicago is back in the Big Ten, and better than ever (but only for hockey)
                              Hope it’s true, but the State of Illinois is such a financial disaster right now (and for the foreseeable future) that it seems like a politically tone deaf move, unless they’ve found a major donor

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                ...0.1% it’s all a ruse, U of Chicago is back in the Big Ten, and better than ever (but only for hockey)
                                Now that's thinking outside the box! Made me smile. Broadly. Post of the Day!

Funny thing is, it could actually work out pretty well for them. An annual visit from each of the B1G schools; then load up the NC schedule with Ivies.

Of course it's just a whimsical fantasy. Big time sports just isn't in their culture. A Former University President once remarked: Sports? When I get the urge to exercise, I lay down until it goes away."

So we'll just have to root for the Illini to take the plunge. At least that would get us up to 8 members.

Comment

Working...
                                X