Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Legend in everybodys mind

Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Whitman: 'Big questions' remain before green-lighting UI hockey

Opinion: It looks like hockey will be a go but I'm guessing they are waiting to see who will pay for the $100 million arena which will house multiple IL sports.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Just what we need, another b10 school that Wisconsin and Minnesota fanbases couldn’t care less about. Ugh

All Hail

*yawn*
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Just what we need, another b10 school that Wisconsin and Minnesota fanbases couldn’t care less about. Ugh
    Too bad their campus is not a bit closer to Chicago. But it's not an insurmountable road trip from Madison.

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    It looks like hockey will be a go but I'm guessing they are waiting to see who will pay for the $100 million arena...
    Shocker.
    "Great news [INSERT SCHOOL NAME] fans! We are going forward with our plans and will be adding a men's D-I hockey program as soon as possible. Currently we are just waiting for someone to step forward with a $100M gift so we can proceed..."
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

My take on the article from Whitman is that they are still fishing for a large donor. Seems like that they have had people answering their calls, but when it comes down to it, U of I is asking for a $20m donation and are being told a "Well, I can't do that, but here's $5m." kind of deal. So they're making progress, but still lacking in a key area...

At this point there is too much smoke for there to not be fire... It's just a matter of how long it'll smolder before full on igniting....
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    My take on the article from Whitman is that they are still fishing for a large donor. Seems like that they have had people answering their calls, but when it comes down to it, U of I is asking for a $20m donation and are being told a "Well, I can't do that, but here's $5m." kind of deal. So they're making progress, but still lacking in a key area...

At this point there is too much smoke for there to not be fire... It's just a matter of how long it'll smolder before full on igniting....
    For some that's not good enough. UI is clearly serious about getting there and making every effort to make it happen. Having enthusiasm, and publicizing the progress in hopes of garnering interest must be met with skepticism and ridicule every step of the way.

Some people's children.

Fox Development holding out hope for its hockey-based proposal

This article from March 2018 explains why UI has been cautious.
    Last edited by 4four4; 06-20-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Hockey at Illinois would be a win-win for Illini, Big Ten Conference
    Pioneer Press

This articles says what the last two hurdles are before the eventual announcement.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    So, We've got $80 million in donations, but just need $20 million more. After that, easy-peazy
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Michigan Tech Fan

Chicago Tribune: "llinois is in ‘the red zone’ for adding a Division I hockey..."

You can't tell at all that the Tribune only focuses on the Bears. Sort of like in the Minnesota papers when the Vikings missed that chip shot field goal in the playoffs "from just outside the crease..."

The AD at Illinois' could really help fund raising if he would at least "talk hockey" when trying to get a program going. I don't think "If we were on a 100-yard field, we’re in the red zone. We’re driving in..." really speaks to hockey fans...

But hey, hats off for the progress they have made so far. Just a few months ago, this concept was not looking good "from way downtown" and then "bang!" now they're "in the red zone..." Clearly Illinois has "gone hard to the hole" and is "taking it right up the gut" to make this hockey team happen. Right now they are "just a bit outside" of their target for fundraising. If they keep "bringing the heat" on potential donors and "leave it all on the field" eventually they are going to "knock it out of the park" and then before you know it... "Boom, goes the dynamite" and we're going to have hockey at another D-I school where hockey is the 16th most popular sport on campus...

Illinois hockey IS going to happen. In fact, at this point, it's a slam dunk (according to the AD anyway...)

University of Illinois Hockey - Inaugural Season Open Tryouts
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 08-20-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Chicago Tribune: "llinois is in ‘the red zone’ for adding a Division I hockey..."

You can't tell at all that the Tribune only focuses on the Bears. Sort of like in the Minnesota papers when the Vikings missed that chip shot field goal in the playoffs "from just outside the crease..."

The AD at Illinois' could really help fund raising if he would at least "talk hockey" when trying to get a program going. I don't think "If we were on a 100-yard field, we’re in the red zone. We’re driving in..." really speaks to hockey fans...

But hey, hats off for the progress they have made so far. Just a few months ago, this concept was not looking good "from way downtown" and then "bang!" now they're "in the red zone..." Clearly Illinois has "gone hard to the hole" and is "taking it right up the gut" to make this hockey team happen. Right now they are "just a bit outside" of their target for fundraising. If they keep "bringing the heat" on potential donors and "leave it all on the field" eventually they are going to "knock it out of the park" and then before you know it... "Boom, goes the dynamite" and we're going to have hockey at another D-I school where hockey is the 16th most popular sport on campus...

Illinois hockey IS going to happen. In fact, at this point, it's a slam dunk (according to the AD anyway...)

Well done!

I found it rather ******y.

To be fair, they're also trying to elevate their football program to D1 at the same time and probably mixed up the notecards...

Mike Eidelbes tweeted, "Don't let Lovie Smith call the next play."
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

love the picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

There i no way but the rumor mill said IL could start playing next year. Maybe an announcement by next year but I don't believe the school can start playing D1 next year.

Section T since 1978
    Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    There i no way but the rumor mill said IL could start playing next year. Maybe an announcement by next year but I don't believe the school can start playing D1 next year.
    No problem. Just make sure one of the Alaska schools drops hockey after this year due to budget cuts and then transfer those players to Illinois.

Seriously, it would be possible, but Illinois would need to commit and act soon. Basically you take your club team and add a few decent players that have been overlooked or are unhappy with playing time. Schedule a season of mostly exhibitions against Canadian, D-3, club teams, and maybe even a few D-1 teams. The goal would be to move to a mostly D1 schedule the following year.

Michigan Tech Fan

Highly unlikely that Illinois is playing D-I hockey year. Even if they find the money, coaches, players and every other detail of putting a team together, who are they going to play? D-I teams typically have their schedules set years in advance. Unless an Alaska school folds and creates a huge hold in the WCHA schedule they would be lucky to get even a handful of D-I games. A D-I team isn't going to create itself in 13 months. If anything is happening next year, regardless of what they want to call it, it will be club hockey, maybe with a more challenging schedule.

Thread Information