Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Cornell is a state school (even remotely)? Has the Ivy League been made aware of that? And BTW, Northeastern constantly gets misidentified as Northwestern in the national sports media so I guess you could say that--in a sense--Northwestern has hockey.
    From the Wikipedia article about Cornell

Cornell is one of ten private land grant universities in the United States and the only one in New York. Of its seven undergraduate colleges, three are state-supported statutory or contract colleges through the State University of New York (SUNY) system, including its agricultural and human ecology colleges as well as its industrial labor relations school. Of Cornell's graduate schools, only the veterinary college is state-supported. As a land grant college, Cornell operates a cooperative extension outreach program in every county of New York and receives annual funding from the State of New York for certain educational missions.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Cornell is one of ten private land grant universities in the United States and the only one in New York. Of its seven undergraduate colleges, three are state-supported statutory or contract colleges through the State University of New York (SUNY) system, including its agricultural and human ecology colleges as well as its industrial labor relations school. Of Cornell's graduate schools, only the veterinary college is state-supported. As a land grant college, Cornell operates a cooperative extension outreach program in every county of New York and receives annual funding from the State of New York for certain educational missions.
      Correct.

My brother-in-law went to Cornell (All Ivy League wrestler multiple years). His wife went to the State school portion of Cornell. She paid a lot less than he did.

However, I doubt any of the state funds going to Cornell goes into the athletics program. That is all funded by the private part of Cornell.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Correct.

My brother-in-law went to Cornell (All Ivy League wrestler multiple years). His wife went to the State school portion of Cornell. She paid a lot less than he did.

However, I doubt any of the state funds going to Cornell goes into the athletics program. That is all funded by the private part of Cornell.
        Very little of the private money goes to athletics, either:

Using endowments as a long-term funding model has worked well at Cornell University. Eleven of the department's 36 teams are self-funded--men's and women's polo, sprint football, baseball, men's and women's squash, men's golf, men's and women's tennis, women's equestrian, and men's lightweight rowing--and it has been this way for more than 15 years. The school primarily targets student-athlete alumni for donations, focusing on endowment gifts.

The other 25 sports have their own endowments, too, just not large enough to be entirely self-funding in perpetuity. Between endowment yield, annual donations, and other revenue sources (tickets, concessions, advertising), I believe (but could not quickly confirm) that the entire Cornell athletic department is actually revenue neutral, needing no financial support from the university itself.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Cornell is one of ten private land grant universities in the United States and the only one in New York. Of its seven undergraduate colleges, three are state-supported statutory or contract colleges through the State University of New York (SUNY) system...
          Wow. I guess the "learn something new everyday" maxim applies.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Wow. I guess the "learn something new everyday" maxim applies.
            I learned it a few years ago when some sports journalist who fancies himself an intellectual got called out for brandishing his Cornell degree, when he was from what someone else called the "milking and bovine management" part of Cornell.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              They are done with that. No more play-ups from D-III. UW-EC athletics would have to go D-I or D-II.
              I believe they would need to go DII before they go DI. That said, that should be sufficient for hockey.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                I believe they would need to go DII before they go DI. That said, that should be sufficient for hockey.
                Tell that to the Northeast Ten schools that are D-II but elect to play D-III schedules anyway.

There’s literally an entire autobid sized conference of D-II teams just farting around in D-III for reasons I don’t fully understand. Maybe if Bentley and AIC show them it’s possible to play up here and not do too badly at it, they’ll change their tune? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Tell that to the Northeast Ten schools that are D-II but elect to play D-III schedules anyway.

There’s literally an entire autobid sized conference of D-II teams just farting around in D-III for reasons I don’t fully understand. Maybe if Bentley and AIC show them it’s possible to play up here and not do too badly at it, they’ll change their tune? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  But they choose to do that.

komey1 is accurate, if the schools choose to do that.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I'm guessing that they just don't want to spend the money but have enough of a donor base to keep the program running laps around the boards.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Ice hockey would 'flourish' at University of Illinois, study shows

Chicago Tribune

Because I keep hearing more chatter from people out west I will be surprised if they don't announce a D1 team soon.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        When SNC did the study a few years ago, the answer was they could stay D3 for everything else but wouldn't be able to offer scholarships in D1. Schools such as CC are grandfathered into their situation but no one else could copy it now. I don't know if that's still the case, however.
                        St. Norbert College Green Knights
                        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                        ---
                        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                          When SNC did the study a few years ago, the answer was they could stay D3 for everything else but wouldn't be able to offer scholarships in D1. Schools such as CC are grandfathered into their situation but no one else could copy it now. I don't know if that's still the case, however.
                          And since 2011, new playups are verboten.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                            It's still the case. Just ask RIT.

And as joecct said, you can't even move one team up anymore.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

The only playup situation out there are the D-II programs out there still playing D-III schedules (the NE-10 schools and Post IIRC), most of whom have women’s teams that are doing the same playup for women’s hockey.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                The only playup situation out there are the D-II programs out there still playing D-III schedules (the NE-10 schools and Post IIRC), most of whom have women’s teams that are doing the same playup for women’s hockey.
                                The NCAA tournament for women is a combined D1 and D2 National Collegiate Championship.

The men are D1 only. D2's can get in, but it takes a declaration by the D2 that they want to play in the shark pool.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X