Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 229

Thread: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,826

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by komey1 View Post
    RIT made it from D3 to Frozen Four in a relative short period of time and has since made 3 NCAA tournament appearances with another victory over Minnesota State without scholarships. Do they need more than that?

    They could start out as a cost-containment conference and limit scholarships on their own.
    Can you limit it to a negative number? Those schools spend less on hockey than an average D3.

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,028
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Given the lack of a D-II championship, I’m curious if that’s much of a hurdle. But I also don’t know the NCAA bylaws, so maybe there would be fees or something beyond a bit of paperwork to deter them.
    IIRC all it takes is an "I declare for the D1 tournament" statement. If the entire NE-10 declares and they play 20 games against D2/D1 competition, they get an AQ.

  3. #183
    R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,003

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    D2's can get in, but it takes a declaration by the D2 that they want to play in the shark pool.
    That and the fact that there aren't enough schools for there to be a D-II championship.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

  4. #184
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,537
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    IIRC all it takes is an "I declare for the D1 tournament" statement. If the entire NE-10 declares and they play 20 games against D2/D1 competition, they get an AQ.
    Heck, if they all did it, they wouldn’t even have to poach AIC and Bentley. But they could.

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    How bad can it be? New York and Massachusetts (and to some degree Michigan and Minnesota, too) have been dealing with ridiculous state government and financial situations causing mass exodus for decades, but they've got a whole bunch of D-I hockey teams (although admittedly, only one -Cornell- of New York's could be considered even remotely a state school. SUNYs are all D-III). All the poor hockey fans of Illinois want is just one.
    Just to clarify the SUNY statement, the University at Buffalo is a SUNY school and D-1 in all sports.

  6. #186

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,028
    Quote Originally Posted by BG816 View Post
    Just to clarify the SUNY statement, the University at Buffalo is a SUNY school and D-1 in all sports.
    As are Bingo and Albany

  7. #187
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    200,256

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    As are Bingo and Albany
    I think that Stony Brook is also D-I. That's all four of the SUNY university centers.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    As are Bingo and Albany
    You’re right. Although Stoney Brook and Albany are FCS in football, while Buffalo is FBS. Not sure Binghamton has football.

  9. #189
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,537
    Quote Originally Posted by BG816 View Post
    You’re right. Although Stoney Brook and Albany are FCS in football, while Buffalo is FBS. Not sure Binghamton has football.
    We spoke for years about the Big Ten Hockey Conference before we got it. Maybe what we should clamor for next is the America East Hockey Conference?

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    We spoke for years about the Big Ten Hockey Conference before we got it. Maybe what we should clamor for next is the America East Hockey Conference?
    As long as it's not Buffalo and MAC, go ahead.

  11. #191
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,537

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Hey now.

    The feared MACHC will poach WMU, Miami and BGSU once we finally Bufffalo, NIU and… uh… Ohio?

    Anyways it’ll happen when there’s a college hockey video game and Freddy Meyer stops hacking and PROVICED gets kicked out of HOCKEY RAST and something something nachos.

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Hey now.

    The feared MACHC will poach WMU, Miami and BGSU once we finally Bufffalo, NIU and… uh… Ohio?

    Anyways it’ll happen when there’s a college hockey video game and Freddy Meyer stops hacking and PROVICED gets kicked out of HOCKEY RAST and something something nachos.
    Every series would be Tuesday at 10AM followed by Thursday at 11PM aired live on the Ocho.

  13. #193
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    587

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    Every series would be Tuesday at 10AM followed by Thursday at 11PM aired live on the Ocho.
    If Oakland moves forward with a program they would be a fine fit for Tuesday morning MACtion.

  14. #194
    clarkson 1990
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Owego, NY
    Posts
    779

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by BG816 View Post
    You’re right. Although Stoney Brook and Albany are FCS in football, while Buffalo is FBS. Not sure Binghamton has football.
    They do not; they do have most of the other common sports (basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, etc.)
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

  15. #195
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,537
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    If Oakland moves forward with a program they would be a fine fit for Tuesday morning MACtion.
    Obviously, you’d combine Oakland and the MACtion schools with the (already never happening) UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay and a resurgent UIC to form the MACHorizon Hockey League.

    MHHL: Perennial Frozen Four Contenders, starting in 2028

  16. #196
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    587

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Obviously, you’d combine Oakland and the MACtion schools with the (already never happening) UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay and a resurgent UIC to form the MACHorizon Hockey League.

    MHHL: Perennial Frozen Four Contenders, starting in 2028
    I'd call a league with those teams the CCHA...

  17. #197
    R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,003

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by BG816 View Post
    Just to clarify the SUNY statement, the University at Buffalo is a SUNY school and D-1 in all sports.
    I was ignoring UB (and Stony Brook, Binghamton and Albany ftm) because they do not currently play NCAA hockey, but I did know they are a SUNY school.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

  18. #198
    Veteran huskyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Copper Falls
    Posts
    22,998

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Anyways it’ll happen when there’s a college hockey video game and Freddy Meyer stops hacking and PROVICED gets kicked out of HOCKEY RAST and something something nachos.
    yeah, yeah and there will never be a Big Ten hockey league.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

  19. #199
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    yeah, yeah and there will never be a Big Ten hockey league.
    Every time I think of the BTHC the name Larry from the Club Forum always pops up in my mind. That guy was adamant we would see a BTHC. It got to the point of absurdity.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/CHeisenberg
    https://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  20. #200
    Veteran huskyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Copper Falls
    Posts
    22,998

    Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    I was adamant about it too. The Big Ten was just waiting for that 6th team and then on to the bank with the $$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •