Making a Murderer updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Making a Murderer updates

No governor would do that...half the state would burn you in effigy.

And I am of two minds about whether the series helps or hurts. The truth is if it wasnt for the series he doesnt have any real shot anyways because no way someone like Zellner takes up the case. He would be rotting for good with second rate representation filing motions that go nowhere. On the other hand this has so much notoriety that until there is new judges and so on no one will want to admit they were this badly wrong. (if indeed they are) It is a double edged sword.

That said having it in the public consciousness is important, and sooner or later it tends to help in these types of cases. The West Memphis Three never get their Alford Pleas if not for the HBO Documentaries about their BS convictions. Same with Michael Peterson. For as much as it works against them in the short term in the long term it tends to help more.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      No governor would do that...half the state would burn you in effigy.

And I am of two minds about whether the series helps or hurts. The truth is if it wasnt for the series he doesnt have any real shot anyways because no way someone like Zellner takes up the case. He would be rotting for good with second rate representation filing motions that go nowhere. On the other hand this has so much notoriety that until there is new judges and so on no one will want to admit they were this badly wrong. (if indeed they are) It is a double edged sword.

That said having it in the public consciousness is important, and sooner or later it tends to help in these types of cases. The West Memphis Three never get their Alford Pleas if not for the HBO Documentaries about their BS convictions. Same with Michael Peterson. For as much as it works against them in the short term in the long term it tends to help more.
      In a lame duck situation? That’s exactly when the majority of pardons happen.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Not on something like this. This isnt some 65 year old serving 20 years on drug charges this is a murder where the accused have plenty of life in front of them. Not to mention one of the accused has already threatened to sue the state for millions for a different wrongful conviction (and is openly saying he was framed again by the cops and the DA) and the other is a kid who confessed. (not arguing whether that should count, but as of now it doesnt) You dont pardon in that scenario even if you are a lame duck.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

No question the public consciousness helps. I thought it was telling that Zellner had been approached multiple times about the case prior to the series, but only became interested after the series was aired and became a hit.

But the West Memphis 3 case illustrates some of the problems that Avery/Dassey are going to have.

First, as I recall the families of the victims in the WM3 case came around to the idea that the prosecution was wrong. Thus far I don't think that's happened in Wisconsin.

Second, I believe the WM3 had to specifically release their claims against the state of Arkansas and the police/prosecutors, etc..., as part of the deal struck. If Zellner has spent nearly $1 million out of her own pocket thus far, as the Newsweek article suggests, no way she lets that deal be cut.

Which then creates an interesting conflict of interest for her.

If I were the State of Wisconsin, I'd put the screws to her on that conflict right now. Offer Avery and Dassey a deal. Alford pleas with time served, immediate release from prison, and a complete release of all claims against the authorities. But Dassey can only take it if Avery does.

Let's see whether Zellner is really in it to free innocent people, or is she in it for the coin.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            In some ways it seems like the best option is a pardon, but that seems unlikely from Walker even though he's currently a lame duck.
            Unfortunately Walker eliminated the pardons board. I’ll look for his quote about it.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

https://www.wpr.org/walker-administr...advisory-board

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Let's see whether Zellner is really in it to free innocent people, or is she in it for the coin.
                Why not both? Freeing people takes some serious coin

Comment

Zellner announcement tomorrow at 12:30pm.

If this is a presser i’d suspect someone has come forward to cooperate.

Comment

Not a presser I guess it’s an update and live chat on twitter...

Michele Malkin has weighed in: https://t.co/ijwhJcVwte?amp=1

Comment

Michelle Malkin sucks and if she is on my side I might change my views
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Oh I don’t agree with her politics but if the broken clock is right twice a day I I think she’s right on Holtzclaw and Avery/Dassey😀

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Oh I don’t agree with her politics but if the broken clock is right twice a day I I think she’s right on Holtzclaw and Avery/Dassey😀

Comment

You have to admit it's kind of funny to have someone who supports internment to prevent terrorist attacks whining about the wrongful imprisonment of a couple of Sconnies.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well that was interesting.

In a missing persons flyer for a woman from Wisconsin rapids there is a sketch of the man last seen with her. Looks like Bobby Dassey.

IF, and that’s a big if, Bobby has killed multiple women and that is revealed as true via forensics or whatever I can’t imagine how Wisconsin DOJ survives in its current incarnation.

Again, big if.

New news: Scott Tadych was at Dasseys at 12:30 pm on oct 31, 2005.

Dassey (alluded to) called Halbach to provide directions to his residence as she didn’t know him only knew Avery.

And 60% of halbach’s Body missing. Possibly disposed of by Tadych where he worked, smelting plant.

My god...what will guilters say if this case cracks open?

Oops, sorry Steve? Or, yeah well, he’s scum anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Well that was interesting.

In a missing persons flyer for a woman from Wisconsin rapids there is a sketch of the man last seen with her. Looks like Bobby Dassey.

IF, and that’s a big if, Bobby has killed multiple women and that is revealed as true via forensics or whatever I can’t imagine how Wisconsin DOJ survives in its current incarnation.

Again, big if.

New news: Scott Tadych was at Dasseys at 12:30 pm on oct 31, 2005.

Dassey (alluded to) called Halbach to provide directions to his residence as she didn’t know him only knew Avery.

And 60% of halbach’s Body missing. Possibly disposed of by Tadych where he worked, smelting plant.

My god...what will guilters say if this case cracks open?

Oops, sorry Steve? Or, yeah well, he’s scum anyway?
                                Why dispose of only 80% of the body? Why not the whole thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X