Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Goaltender couldn't stop a beachball and was replaced early in the 2nd period after 2 goals on 3 shots...
    Peters had a bad game, but saying that there were ". . . some issues with turnovers that were bad . . ." drastically undersells the breakdowns in defensive play.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      Peters had a bad game, but saying that there were ". . . some issues with turnovers that were bad . . ." drastically undersells the breakdowns in defensive play.
      And likewise saying Peters had a bad game is underselling it although jeez...Drastically...Nah.

And BTW, Merrimack was very excited and were quite exuberant coming off the bench and mobbing the goalie. Interesting for the first game but you know what? Good for them as a young D1 program grinding out a win over Minnesota.
      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-29-2017, 11:47 PM.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

True, but there were other breakdowns after the goalie change - yet no more goals allowed. I feel bad for Peters, a senior goaltender who happened to be highlighted on the game program cover. Just not her night...but she proved last year that she can play very well - most of the time. But I'm sure she would be the first to agree that she needs to be more consistent and come up big when the team needs her to. If that's not meant to be, it would appear that the team has a very capable alternative in Alex Gulstene, who looked very poised and confident in shutting out Merrimack in the second half of the game that she played. Based on her shut-out performance, expect her to get the start of the rematch on Sunday.

At the other end, for the most part the Gophers did a good job of controlling the puck and putting (57) shots on net. But there were too few from prime scoring areas where the goalie was out of position. There were maybe a half dozen prime rebounds that Demers surrendered, but unfortunately no Gopher was in position in front to bang in the rebound. In those situations they need to do a better job of converging on the net to take advantage of those rebound opportunities, to cash in from one of several angles...something that recent Gopher teams excelled at. Tonight we saw glimpses, but when we were in position out front, we got a bad bounce - or somehow misfired.

Based on what I saw tonight I'm optimistic that the Gophers will rebound and come away with a win in their rematch on Sunday.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And BTW, Merrimack was very excited and were quite exuberant coming off the bench and mobbing the goalie.
          They likely saw those Minnesota jerseys and assumed that this was a contending team or something. If so, the Gophers didn't get the memo.

Peters' performance was reminiscent of the first game of Kim Hanlon's senior season. Hanlon was given the hook after she allowed a third goal, and I thought that should have been the point at which Peters' night ended as well. Defensive breakdowns -- definitely. But these weren't wide-open backdoor tap ins where she had no chance. One of Amanda Leveille's strengths was that she'd be at her best when the team was at it's worst. I had hoped that after a season to work off the rust, Peters would take her game to a new level this year. After this, I don't like her chances to remain the primary goalie.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Certainly some issues with turnovers that at times were bad but honestly, your goaltender has to pick you up on some of those and that just didn't happen.
            First game of the year, trying to develop the new players and new responsibilities for upperclassmen and give up 4 goals on 12 shots. Suddenly that's all out the window. Shell shocked and blink and your behind, scrambling just trying to win the frigging game. I thought our forwards made a good effort earlier in the game trying to develop a passing game in the offensive zone. In the third period I thought that was out the window and players with the puck just skating towards the net and shooting.

Maybe we can reboot on Sunday and start trying to build this year's team in an environment where they don't fear everytime they make a mistake the puck ends up in the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
              They likely saw those Minnesota jerseys and assumed that this was a contending team or something.
              They know that beating Maroon & Gold is akin to a national championship
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Using the Timothy A scoring method from the Korea-WCHA tourney, the Gophers outscored Merrimack 5.15-4. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
                  This is accurate. 7-8 players have decided to leave the program as well as 2 coaches now. Tough start for a new program.
                  MC count is up to 10 now with 2 so far this young season. Oh, and three coaches.
                  Last edited by Theicebox; 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

This season will be a serious test for Frost as a coach. Coaching the Gophers' first line year in and out is a breeze. Lines two, three, four (which is lines one, two, three this year) is where the test is...and with our recruits it should be a doable test.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                      Using the Timothy A scoring method from the Korea-WCHA tourney, the Gophers outscored Merrimack 5.15-4. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.
                      I think I'd rather have total consciousness on my deathbed.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      This season will be a serious test for Frost as a coach. Coaching the Gophers' first line year in and out is a breeze. Lines two, three, four (which is lines one, two, three this year) is where the test is...and with our recruits it should be a doable test.
                      Yeah, it's a different game when you don't have a line that you can roll out there knowing it will score you two goals every game.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        and I thought that should have been the point at which Peters' night ended as well. Defensive breakdowns -- definitely. But these weren't wide-open backdoor tap ins where she had no chance. One of Amanda Leveille's strengths was that she'd be at her best when the team was at it's worst. I had hoped that after a season to work off the rust, Peters would take her game to a new level this year. After this, I don't like her chances to remain the primary goalie.
                        I was thinking the coaching staff had that in their minds but gave Peters a little more time. Heck, I think they could have even brought Gulstene out to take over for the start of the 2nd period for that matter This team does not have the luxury of abundant scoring to overcome less than stellar goaltending.

She was mentioned earlier and I also am wondering what the issue is with Taylor Williamson? Injury? Coaches doghouse? A former Ms Hockey should be contributing more to the program but that is just not happening.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

She was mentioned earlier and I also am wondering what the issue is with Taylor Williamson? Injury? Coaches doghouse? A former Ms Hockey should be contributing more to the program but that is just not happening.
                          In the limited playing time she had it was very noticeable that she was not giving nearly the same effort as she consistently gave last year. Something's amiss.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
                            MC count is up to 10 now with 2 so far this young season. Oh, and three coaches.
                            What exactly are you talking about?! Sometimes players are told after the season that they won't have a spot on the team the next season especially on a young and quickly developing program like Merrimack. If you're one of those players you're probably going to tell everyone it was your decision to leave the team for whatever reason just to save face, instead of having to admit you were a post-season cut. As far as the coaching staff, who has left??

Comment

Zumwinkle really ought to wear number 88, because that's some military grade ordnance.
                              Great WWII reference there. Nicely done.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                                What exactly are you talking about?! Sometimes players are told after the season that they won't have a spot on the team the next season especially on a young and quickly developing program like Merrimack. If you're one of those players you're probably going to tell everyone it was your decision to leave the team for whatever reason just to save face, instead of having to admit you were a post-season cut. As far as the coaching staff, who has left??
                                I'm not "one of those players" - just offering some facts! Stay tuned!

Comment

Working...
                                X