Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Posted by Iceburg on GPL:

Mother McAuley's Abbey Murphy Shooting For 2022 Winter Olympics
    https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...jing-minnesota
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I watched the semifinal game against Clarkson again yesterday to begin getting ready for the season. All in all, a pretty good game. As in the championship game when they beat us, Clarkson took advantage of their opportunities.

Clarkson had the advantage the first few minutes, but then the Gophers had tilted the ice their way up until the penalty by Williamson. Taylor should beware of penalties in big games becoming a legacy. That hooking penalty was really an unnecessary penalty.

Each of the three lines scored, yes! Pannek, true visionary on the ice, had some nice plays. And the Schipper to Reilly to Schipper give and go for the first goal was a thing of beauty.

I like that the Gophers are a difficult team to beat. No exception in this game coming from behind three times. My memory from watching the first time, was after we tied the score in the third period, Clarkson really took over the game. It didn’t look so much that way this time around. We didn’t dominate Clarkson at that point, but neither did Clarkson dominate us. We lost control of the puck in our own zone, which led to the winning goal. It looked like we may have been tired, and that may have led to the turnover. We had some defensive breakdowns last season and, c'est la vie, that may not have been the most inappropriate way for that team to finally go down. Way to fight back last season, Gophs, and finish the year pretty strong!

I thought Potomak looked pretty good in the last desperate moments after the Knights scored.
      Last edited by KTDC; 09-11-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        I watched the semifinal game against Clarkson again yesterday to begin getting ready for the season. All in all, a pretty good game. As in the championship game when they beat us, Clarkson took advantage of their opportunities.

Clarkson had the advantage the first few minutes, but then the Gophers had tilted the ice their way up until the penalty by Williamson. Taylor should beware of penalties in big games becoming a legacy. That hooking penalty was really an unnecessary penalty.

Each of the three lines scored, yes! Pannek, true visionary on the ice, had some nice plays. And the Schipper to Reilly to Schipper give and go for the first goal was a thing of beauty.

I like that the Gophers are a difficult team to beat. No exception in this game coming from behind three times. My memory from watching the first time, was after we tied the score in the third period, Clarkson really took over the game. It didn’t look so much that way this time around. We didn’t dominate Clarkson at that point, but neither did Clarkson dominate us. We lost control of the puck in our own zone, which led to the winning goal. It looked like we may have been tired, and that may have led to the turnover. We had some defensive breakdowns last season and, c'est la vie, that may not have been the most inappropriate way for that team to finally go down. Way to fight back last season, Gophs, and finish the year pretty strong!
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t7-K0JdNI
        Last edited by upfromtheminors; 09-12-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
          The ’18-’19 roster, in contrast, will be bloated (17 F, 8 D, 3G)
          I see 7 D for '18-19'

Returners

Skarzynski
          Marshall
          Robinson
          Brown
          Knowles

Incoming

Ostertag
          Hengler

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
            I see 7 D for '18-19'
            You are right. I was still counting Barlow.

Comment

Gophers are going to be motivated this year.
              They will want to show they can do it without Pannek and Potomak, come back from some sub-par performances last year, and also the Frozen Four is back at Ridder. With that and the WCHA finals both at Ridder, there is lots of opportunity for them.

We're counting on freshmen to contribute big. Hopefully, Zumwinkle will be a star and Taylor Wente can deliver significant points. Emily Brown and Olivia Knowles should be key players on d. I'm predicting Alex Gulstene and Sidney Peters will start the year trading games.

Marshall and Robinson were both solid by the end of last year and they could certainly take a step up with a year of experience. Key factor is Woken and Agnew turning into serious scoring threats.

I hope Cara Piazza rebounds from what what I thought was a step back in her junior year from how she performed as a sophomore. And look for Sydney Baldwin to get off on the right foot. Sydney scored 2 goals on 114 shots last year (.019). She can do better than just tossing a soft wrister at the goaltender so frequently. That and a little better decision making on her passes and she's realizing the great talent she has. And I think Caitlyn Reilly is primed for a great senior season.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                You are right. I was still counting Barlow.
                I just noticed she's not on the roster or in the team pic.

Comment

On the WCHA media call Coach Frost said we have 3 healthy goalies. Who is the not healthy goalie?

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    On the WCHA media call Coach Frost said we have 3 healthy goalies. Who is the not healthy goalie?
                    I heard SD.

Comment

Being a senior and her past history of how she was used, where Piazza plays this year will be one of the things I am interested in seeing when the season starts, although based on the last two years it doesn’t mean that’s where she will end up. If by “taking a step back” you mean lowered scoring output from the previous year, you are correct, but overall I don’t think she took a step back except to return to center, or is it return to wing? She ended the year at wing after playing most of the year at center, exactly the opposite of the previous year.
                      Geeze, a lot of talk about the future here, I understand Nancy Boy throwing in the towel on this year, but is everybody else doing the same?

Comment

Increase in optimism for this GWH season lately for me. I like the demand on everyone to perform and I get a feeling of decreased expectations combined with the opportunity for a 'show me' season and this batch of players to make a statement.

I liked the seasons we've had with no healthy scratches and I kind of like the idea of having that again this year.

(I tend to like Piazza more at center I think)

Comment

Avoid us in the National Tournament and the title is yours!!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            !
                            If somebody can just take care of Clarkson for us we should be fine!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the 2017/2018 version of the Gophers begin this afternoon.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Grace!

Comment

Working...
                                X