Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    A civil war is a war between citizens of the same country, and yes the southern states seceded, but I don't believe the US government officially ever recognized they left, hence at least from the north's standpoint is was a civil war. I suppose from the south's perspective it was a revolutionary war, or a war of independence. That was a good question, I had not thought of it in these term before.

I've often pondered the thought of WI, MN and MI seceding from the US and forming it's own country.
    Michconsota Golden Badverines

Comment

• Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
      Michconsota Golden Badverines
      The Superiors??
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A civil war is a war between citizens of the same country,
        That's only half right.

A civil war is a war between citizens of the same country who are fighting for control of the government of that country.

That's not what happened in the US. The South just wanted out of the union to go their own way (because of Lincoln's taxation policies that were going to crush the south)...like one party to a marriage wanting a divorce.

The North wanted no part of it and started the thumping.

(More nonsense that we've been fed all our lives is that it was a war about slavery...but again, it was no such thing, nor was Lincoln any shining hero fighting for the abolition of slavery).

The point, as with many other things in life, is that most of us have been conditioned to believe certain things to be true...in this case, that certain historical events occurred/unfolded in a certain fashion leaving lasting impressions on us, for better or worse, often positively reinforcing or otherwise affecting our personal value systems with respect to what we believe to be right vs wrong. Meanwhile we are the victims of believing a false narrative that we have been fed and we have unknowingly used that false narrative to affect our view of the world.

The net effect is millions of people walking around believing that many "important" events and the lessons learned from them are part of the cosmic firmament when it just ain't so.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          (More nonsense that we've been fed all our lives is that it was a war about slavery...
          In 7th gr history I was taught that the core issue was states' rights, not slavery, but in this thread, the war between the states is more likely to refer to Wisconsin and Minnesota, so I'll opt to stay on topic.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

That's only half right.

A civil war is a war between citizens of the same country who are fighting for control of the government of that country.

That's not what happened in the US. The South just wanted out of the union to go their own way (because of Lincoln's taxation policies that were going to crush the south)...like one party to a marriage wanting a divorce.

The North wanted no part of it and started the thumping.

(More nonsense that we've been fed all our lives is that it was a war about slavery...but again, it was no such thing, nor was Lincoln any shining hero fighting for the abolition of slavery).

The point, as with many other things in life, is that most of us have been conditioned to believe certain things to be true...in this case, that certain historical events occurred/unfolded in a certain fashion leaving lasting impressions on us, for better or worse, often positively reinforcing or otherwise affecting our personal value systems with respect to what we believe to be right vs wrong. Meanwhile we are the victims of believing a false narrative that we have been fed and we have unknowingly used that false narrative to affect our view of the world.

The net effect is millions of people walking around believing that many "important" events and the lessons learned from them are part of the cosmic firmament when it just ain't so.

I surely don't want to hear your opinion on the origins of WWII. I'll just stick to hockey from here on out. The gophers suck and rodentsota can go to hell, though I do have a heart warming story about how a dude from MN fixed a major passport issue this summer for me, but I'll save that for another time.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

sort of like Canada teaching its citizens that they defeated the imperialist US in the War of 1812.

FWIW, the victor writes history
              the victorious North was not likely to say they fought the war and millions were killed to prevent the southern states from leaving the union
              it is much easier to justify by taking the moral high ground and saying it was to end slavery

I was going to say that we are currently in a civil war "A civil war is a war between citizens of the same country who are fighting for control of the government of that country."
              but then I looked up the definition of civil:
              2.courteous and polite, "we tried to be civil to him"

so I guess it is just good 'ol war

Comment

Back to hockey, Ohio State series preview here:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...100317aaa.html
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I surely don't want to hear your opinion on the origins of WWII. I'll just stick to hockey from here on out.
                  The implied point (and maybe I should have made it clearer) to my post was how can we effectively communicate with each other if we don't first know what we are talking about and what things that we state or say, mean?

And my post certainly is not and was not directed at you, it's a question for all of us. Your mention of the "Civil War" just brought the topic to mind because I have read a fair amount about it recently including the misconception that I mentioned that most labour under. I was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    sort of like Canada teaching its citizens that they defeated the imperialist US in the War of 1812.
                    Hahaha. Good one.

FWIW, the victor writes history
                    I was going to use that line in my post but just chose not to. It is certainly true, and is part of the problem that I mentioned.

the victorious North was not likely to say they fought the war and millions were killed to prevent the southern states from leaving the union
                    it is much easier to justify by taking the moral high ground and saying it was to end slavery
                    I couldn't agree with you more. Spin has always existed.

And yeah, what war is ever civil? I was going to mention that too but chose not to.

We're starting to see some things eye to eye. I'm getting the sense that I should be getting scared.

Comment

Holy crap this thread sucks
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

OK, let's try again, back to Minnesota Gopher hockey!

SKI-U-MAH WEEKLY: EPISODE 4
                        (interview with Coach Frost starts at about the 12 minute mark)

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I really liked how Gulstene looked. She wasn't tested tons but she looked solid and sure. I'm excited about her.

Coach Frost in both the ski-u-mah episode and Friday's pregame interview commented that he expects Ohio State to be a force to be reckoned with in the WCHA this season. I'll be pretty happy to come out of the series with two wins.

But I'm also feeling positive about the team after the final two periods against Merrimack.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            OK, let's try again, back to Minnesota Gopher hockey!
                            Haven't seen anyone comment on Zumwinkle and her early season play, unless I missed it.

Comment

Haven't seen anyone comment on Zumwinkle and her early season play, unless I missed it.
                              Her +/- is minus three! Which is true but hahaha.

I think she looks like the best player on the team already. She has the best moves, the best slapshot, and I think the best wrist shot as well. She's also a good skater. I don't have an impression of her backchecking or defensive play yet. She's scored two goals in two games and I would say so far so good, at least

Comment

Zumwinkle will likely have to make a bigger adjustment to the college game than some players because her HS team needed the puck to be on her stick so much of the time. She reminds me of a right-handed Erica McKenzie in several ways, and that is one of them. But if at some point in her career she winds up skating on the wing of a center like Kelly Pannek who is looking to get her the puck in a position to shoot, then look out.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X