X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screaming fans today!

Comment

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

A little disappointed it took Zoom Boom a 1:30 to score...
      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 09-24-2017, 10:00 PM.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        Grace!
        That was a nice shot!

So far it looks like an early season game, lots of missed passes.

The only other thing I see is that they seem to be taking a lot of "polite" shots. At times it reminds me of the old days after they were up by 10.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          A little disappointed it took Zoom Booom a 1:30 to score...
          Well it was her first shift and only the second shift of the game so . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            The only other thing I see is that they seem to be taking a lot of "polite" shots. At times it reminds me of the old days after they were up by 10.
            The good news: Grace looked great, for a first game against Korea, everything I hoped. Freshmen were great.
            The bad news: I wish it reminded me of the old days like ne7minder, but the upperclassmen reminded me of last year. Season hasn't even started and I resolve to be more like ne7minder, and not think of last year every time the upperclassmen don't score early in the year.

Comment

Game summary here: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...092417aaa.html

Box score: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...0170924aaa.pdf

(note the article shortchanged the Gophers a bit in the SOG department. Both the box score and the scoreboard correctly had it at 53)
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

For the first ten minutes, the Gophers looked an awful lot like a team that hadn't played together yet. Other than Zumwinkle's goal, they struggled to keep the puck and allowed the Koreans several chances and a lot of control. After that, they controlled the game.

I thought the Gophers had a lot of sterile possession, keeping the puck in the Korean zone, but not generating much in the way of good chances with it. Like KTDC, it reminded me of last year.

Minnesota played a more physical game than I'm used to seeing from them, but I don't know whether that's an actual change in style, or just a product of the Koreans' lack of strength. They're very small; it was like watching an entire team of St. Lawrence defensemen. The Gophers routinely pushed them off the puck to prevent a breakout.

The freshmen all impressed. Zumwinkle is as advertised, and that's despite only seeing the famed slapshot once; she has terrific hands and is a danger at any angle to the net. Emily Brown also looked very good.

Comment

Coach Frost previews season opener vs. Merrimack:

https://youtu.be/FgJTY0AyeC8

Comment

I see there's a mistake on USCHO's schedule of games this weekend. It's showing Minnesota's opening game vs. Merrimack on Saturday instead of Friday (7:07pm).

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I see there's a mistake on USCHO's schedule of games this weekend. It's showing Minnesota's opening game vs. Merrimack on Saturday instead of Friday (7:07pm).
                      haha.......there is a mistake in today's StarTribune GWH preview, stating that this weekend's 2nd game is Saturday at 2:07 instead of Sunday.

Tonight and Sunday may be empty but there should be a nice crowd on Saturday

Comment

The good and the bad...The good, Zoom Boom with a rocket one timer and Minn with 3 goals in the first period. The bad, sloppy turnovers and shakey goaltending lets 2 in.

Comment

What in the world is going on out there
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Goaltender couldn't stop a beachball and was replaced early in the 2nd period after 2 goals on 3 shots...

Comment

Expanding a little more on "the good, the bad, and they ugly"...

With 57 shots on goal, and some of those being very good scoring chances, I was pretty pleased with that aspect. Certainly some issues with turnovers that at times were bad but honestly, your goaltender has to pick you up on some of those and that just didn't happen. That was as ugly as some of the meltdown performances we saw last year from #37.

Comment

This looked a lot like last year's team. They can play well offensively, and they can play well defensively, but they can't do both at the same time. The first period and a half saw a lot of very good Gopher chances, and a lot of defensive miscues. They tightened up defensively after the goalie change, but didn't generate a lot of scoring opportunities in the third despite controlling the puck for the overwhelming part of the period. There were a couple of times that Merrimack had to go long stretches without a line change, including a power play on which three of the four penalty killers were out for the entire two minutes. But Minnesota didn't do much with it.

The defense struggled. Katie Robinson made some horrible passes right out to a Merrimack player in the slot. Emily Brown lost her man on a number of occasions, including at least one goal. It was not a good night for Syd Peters to also struggle; three of the Merrimack goals were a complete team effort.

The forwards looked . . . better. Caitlyn Reilly was great backchecking, and pushed several shots just inches wide. The second line continues to look good at the offensive end; Zumwinkle really ought to wear number 88, because that's some military grade ordnance. The defensive play is more iffy. Despite the goal, Zumwinkle finished at -2, and Agnew and Schammel were both -3. The +/- is a bit misleading, because in a couple of cases, it was the blueliners that botched it badly, but the backchecking didn't help.

Taylor Williamson didn't get a shift after the third Merrimack goal. She's either injured, are was inexcusably lax on that play. One of the d-men, Skarzynski I think, had pinched and it was her responsibility to cover, and to call the effort half-hearted was being kind. Katie Robinson didn't play the resulting rush all that well, but Williamson hung her out to dry, and then Peters left a bad rebound. There's a lot of work to do here.

And remember, if you had one more goal, you'd be Kippen Keller.

Comment

Working...
                                X