X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Kep I don't know why you continue to give Joe the benefit of the doubt. Not only is his track record quite obvious, but how many conservatives have a clever sense of humor?
    Does Dennis Miller count?

yes that's a joke

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Telegraph and today's WaPo reference it. If it was Russia Today, I'd look for a second source.
      You didn't need to look for a second source, you just needed to look at the source. That would have clued you in to what was already obvious to most of us--that the Telegraph's commentary on the study was nothing more than denier propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
        You didn't need to look for a second source, you just needed to look at the source. That would have clued you in to what was already obvious to most of us--that the Telegraph's commentary on the study was nothing more than denier propaganda.
        Exactly. Always look at the primary literature.
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          Exactly. Always look at the primary literature.
          But the picture had a polar bear near some ice...are you saying such an glorious picture of nature could be used to try and legitimize an article that is total crap?

The fact that joe hasnt actually mea culpaed speaks volumes as to his motives.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Here you go Joe. Somewhat reasoned coverage of the paper you did not read. Note that the original paper (and location) are very easily found in the beginning of the article so one can look at the primary literature.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...used-coverage/

There are not many people who can write about science accurately. Some warning signs you should look out for are:

-Not identifying the primary article easily (you should not have to search for it). Often they will say "a study from concludes"

-Not identifying the impact factor of the journal or identifying if it is a predatory pay-for-publication journal (there are several bad actor lists out there that make this easier)

-Not quoting statements in the primary literature (as these are peer reviewed) and conversely, quoting scientists talking about the paper (these are not peer reviewed)

-Stating that one paper has completely changed the literature (that does not happen, science is a gradual process and there are very very few examples where on paper offsets an entire field of study. Even at its fastest it takes several papers, usually from several research groups confirming new results.)

-Quoting people outside of their primary area of research (often in the form of Nobel's disease: the error in thinking that you are an expert in everything if you are an expert in one thing)
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

From the International Federation of Library Associations: how to spot fake news.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-22-2017, 08:37 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ask a Librarian? Do they have those anymore?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  They're around, but on life support.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    They're around, but on life support.
                    What fade says is, sadly, probably not far off. But let me throw a little sunshine on libraries and librarians.

I live in a small rural community probably not unlike small towns everywhere that are not named Los Gatos or Old Greenwich. Our city library is a vibrant place, with probably 5 or 6 staff on duty at all times and generally kept pretty busy. And a coupe of them are usually qualified librarians. People are always seated in the lounge area reading newspapers, and there is, as often as not, someone at the front desk checking out materials at one of the two checkout locations. I'm sure much of that is interlibrary loan material, which includes music and videos, and I doubt many are checking out Proust or Ezra Pound. But people are coming to this place, and they are reading. Something more than tweets, at least.

And no, I have no answer to those who will point out that Wisconsin gave its EC votes to Trump. Maybe the fake news poster Kep published here just didn't get out in time.

Comment

We'll always have Marian.

Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Hennepin County library system is fantastic and I went to one a few different branches often when still in MN. Nice thing is you can order CDs or books from home, they'll ship to your location of choice and email you when it's ready for pickup. On top of that their CD catalog is nothing short of amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          The Hennepin County library system is fantastic and I went to one a few different branches often when still in MN. Nice thing is you can order CDs or books from home, they'll ship to your location of choice and email you when it's ready for pickup. On top of that their CD catalog is nothing short of amazing.
                          Yeah, I pick up materials ordered online through the interlibrary loan system two times a week, minimum. It really is a treasure.

Comment

Most librarians I know are internet experts -- they know the good and bad points of all the browsers, they know about obscure databases that don't necessarily show up on searches, they can help with search strategies, etc.

Comment

• Deniers: Climate Change is a hoax!

Me: Evidence?

Deniers: Well, I have this unsourced, unreferenced YouTube video, or a link from World Net Daily!

Me: Sigh..
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Deniers: Climate Change is a hoax!

Me: Evidence?

Deniers: Well, I have this unsourced, unreferenced YouTube video, or a link from World Net Daily!

Me: Sigh..
                                Unfollow/block. You can't fix stupid.

I've held out for almost a year, but I've started blocking Trumpbots.

Comment

Working...
                                X