This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

Uhhh...there was definitely fracking a decade ago. My parents milked a big payday out of it, on about 100 acres they held in the northern lower Peninsula of Michigan.

No fracking was done, but boy was that check big.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Yes and they still don't have an answer.
      Whats your point? You have to keep trying.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Whats your point? You have to keep trying.
        My point is simple, its not an easy issue to deal with. It isn't just a question of Solar or Wind etc, its a question of how you integrate it all. I don't doubt they get an answer for it. The question is when?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          My point is simple, its not an easy issue to deal with. It isn't just a question of Solar or Wind etc, its a question of how you integrate it all. I don't doubt they get an answer for it. The question is when?
          I dont know but just because they havent doesnt mean we have to just slough it off and do nothing.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Storage technology is a growing solution. Also, while the sun doesn't shine at night, demand for power is less at night, too. And with wind, it produces so much at night that spot power prices can go negative.
            Better storage is coming. That is the key to get me fully on-board with renewables. 'Distributed storage' is a really interesting concept I've seen.*

And a real goal is adding overnight consumption (think: electric car charging).

Current spot electricity prices in the central US:
            Texas (ERCOT)
            MISO

*Everyone charges the cars overnight at home. They go to work and plug in during the day. If "the grid" needs energy during the day it actually draws down from the mobile distributed batteries.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Here ya go, folks. Jets and steel can make it snow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.fa772b99614e
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                "Better storage is coming." -Every energy industry snake-oil salesman of the last 100 years
                If something better were coming any time soon, it would already be out there but it would simply be too expensive for consumer use. iPhones didn't come out of nowhere - PC processors and touch screen displays had been around for 30+ years, but finally got cheap enough and small enough and efficient enough to package in a handheld device. Where is the current Apple II+ of energy storage that will eventually become cheap enough to make a material difference in the consumer market?

For military aircraft systems, I've paid as much as $250K for a battery that stores about 15KWh of energy in a 100-lb lithium-ion battery. A typical household is around 10 KW, so that battery is only enough to run a house for 90 minutes - that's $2777 per minute of capacity! With the defense industry willing to pay that kind of money, if there were something better than lithium ion, you better believe that we'd be using it, and that this "something" would eventually trickle down into consumer applications. But there's not - there's nothing in the pipeline better than lithium ion, which is already in extremely widespread use in the consumer market. Lithium ion isn't nearly cheap or energy-dense enough to make a difference at energy utility scale.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  a battery that stores about 15KWh of energy in a 100-lb lithium-ion battery..
                  Holy ****.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    If something better were coming any time soon, it would already be out there but it would simply be too expensive for consumer use. iPhones didn't come out of nowhere - PC processors and touch screen displays had been around for 30+ years, but finally got cheap enough and small enough and efficient enough to package in a handheld device. Where is the current Apple II+ of energy storage that will eventually become cheap enough to make a material difference in the consumer market?

For military aircraft systems, I've paid as much as $250K for a battery that stores about 15KWh of energy in a 100-lb lithium-ion battery. A typical household is around 10 KW, so that battery is only enough to run a house for 90 minutes - that's $2777 per minute of capacity! With the defense industry willing to pay that kind of money, if there were something better than lithium ion, you better believe that we'd be using it, and that this "something" would eventually trickle down into consumer applications. But there's not - there's nothing in the pipeline better than lithium ion, which is already in extremely widespread use in the consumer market. Lithium ion isn't nearly cheap or energy-dense enough to make a difference at energy utility scale.
                    https://www.midamericanenergy.com/ne...aspx?story=869

Yes, it's a test project, but this is a public utility that's a leader in wind energy, so they have major skin in the game to try to make it feasible.

Comment

So in other words, it will be at least another 20-30 years before consumer batteries for the middle class are a serious thing (in both cars and homes).

Assuming we were to "do the needful" today, and accounting for continued warming models, what's the estimated sea-rise going to look like by then?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        So in other words, it will be at least another 20-30 years before consumer batteries for the middle class are a serious thing (in both cars and homes).

Assuming we were to "do the needful" today, and accounting for continued warming models, what's the estimated sea-rise going to look like by then?
                        Dikes have worked in Europe for centuries
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Maga.

“Breaking News: The EPA proposed new rules for assessing pollution that would make it easier for power plants to release mercury and other toxic substances.”

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Maga.

“Breaking News: The EPA proposed new rules for assessing pollution that would make it easier for power plants to release mercury and other toxic substances.”
                            Good solid scientific plan.................for killing the planet.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Good solid scientific plan.................for killing the planet.
                              Not like anyone needs to breathe clean air...
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Xcel Energy is looking to go 100% carbon-free by 2050. The first major US utility to do so.

https://www.xcelenergy.com/carbon_free_2050

They say they're going to do this by:
                                Implementing the country's largest multi-state wind plan with 12 new, low-cost wind farms across seven states.
                                Moving forward with our transformative Colorado Energy Plan that will retire 660 megawatts of coal by 2026 and add 1,800 megawattts of wind and solar resources, as well as 380 megawatts of existing natural gas resources and 275 megawatts of large-scale battery storage.
                                Continuing to carry out our approved Upper Midwest resource plan that is transitioning the region's energy grid away from coal and is adding more wind, solar and cleaner natural gas generation. We will propose our 2019 resource plan that will take this transformation even further.
                                Reducing coal generation. Under current, approved plans, we are retiring 22 coal units from 2005 to 2027 — about 50 percent of the coal-fueled capacity we own.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X