X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    What's the lease deal?
    Maybe the deal proposed below there states just take it cause it benefits the greater good
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Nice change of the subject.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      How is it a change of subject? NIMBY is the same whether it's a windmill or a coal plant.

You are suggesting that people won't like having a windmill in their back yard, and people already have coal plants in their back yard. So why should we worry about land owners when we already crap on poor people? I'm certainly not going to care about 1 or 2 families of land owners worried about noise and shadow when we have entire neighborhoods of families down wind of coal plants. Worse if the windmills are not even on their land...

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        How is it a change of subject? NIMBY is the same whether it's a windmill or a coal plant.

You are suggesting that people won't like having a windmill in their back yard, and people already have coal plants in their back yard. So why should we worry about land owners when we already crap on poor people? I'm certainly not going to care about 1 or 2 families of land owners worried about noise and shadow when we have entire neighborhoods of families down wind of coal plants. Worse if the windmills are not even on their land...
        Im not suggesting anything other than shadows from turbine blades are a real issue.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Im not suggesting anything other than shadows from turbine blades are a real issue.

And I’m pointing out that no matter how big the issue is, it pales compared to how people are dealing with coal power plants.

So it’s not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            I'm on your side in this debate but I can't stop myself from playing Rhetoric Police.

It is whataboutism, which is a form of changing the subject, or at least changing the POV of the debate. Turbines > Coal Plants is absolutely relevant to the comparison of turbines and coal plants, but it's not relevant to a cloistered, non-analytic description of what a turbine does to its environment.

As to the latter, I've never lived near one so I don't know -- I just think they look really cool from a distance.

I've never lived near a coal plant either but I'm willing to make some assumptions.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I'm on your side in this debate but I can't stop myself from playing Rhetoric Police.

It is whataboutism, which is a form of changing the subject, or at least changing the POV of the debate. Turbines > Coal Plants is absolutely relevant to the comparison of turbines and coal plants, but it's not relevant to a cloistered, non-analytic description of what a turbine does to its environment.

As to the latter, I've never lived near one so I don't know -- I just think they look really cool from a distance.

I've never lived near a coal plant either but I'm willing to make some assumptions.
              Greater society decided that there were going to be winners and losers when it comes to placing power plants- regardless of how it generates power.

The exact same thing is happening with wind turbines. The only difference now is that farmers are complaining and people are listening. As opposed to generally poor complaining, and everyone ignoring. And given the complaints, farmers and the local environment can handle it far better than most combustion based power. If you want environmental studies of combustion plants, I'm sure we can dig them up, but I can't see sound and shadow comparing well to combustion byproducts.

In other words, farmers can deal with it. Especially since they lease their land for power generation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                My direct personal auditory/sensory experience aligns to this from Wisconsin. There's a pulsing of the blades in the wind.

https://www.wind-watch.org/video-fonddulacnoise.php

C'mon out to energy plantation and see for yourself.
                What is hilarious about that clip is I have been outside of that exact wind turbine and it is not noisy at all. C'mon visit my parents house as it is surrounded by wind farms in Fond du Lac. Or don't. Try again.
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

energy plantation
                  So does this make the cities "tax dollar plantations"?
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                    What is hilarious about that clip is I have been outside of that exact wind turbine and it is not noisy at all. C'mon visit my parents house as it is surrounded by wind farms in Fond du Lac. Or don't. Try again.
                    Oof
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Greater society decided that there were going to be winners and losers when it comes to placing power plants- regardless of how it generates power.

The exact same thing is happening with wind turbines. The only difference now is that farmers are complaining and people are listening. As opposed to generally poor complaining, and everyone ignoring. And given the complaints, farmers and the local environment can handle it far better than most combustion based power. If you want environmental studies of combustion plants, I'm sure we can dig them up, but I can't see sound and shadow comparing well to combustion byproducts.

In other words, farmers can deal with it. Especially since they lease their land for power generation.
                      Greater society allowed to decide if ******** babies can be born?
                      Greater society allow to determine when cancer patients have used enough health care dollars? Diabetes?
                      How about stupid people....iq < 105?
                      Ugly girls?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        So does this make the inner cities "tax dollar plantations"?
                        Good question!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Greater society allow to determine when cancer patients have used enough health care dollars? Diabetes?
                          Ugly girls?
                          What's your point?

It's all about who got listened to when people complained. Poor people are generally not listened to, even if their complaints are about health. Rich people are, even if the complain is about shadows.

I'm not interested in farmers whining about moving shadows when we put people downstream of coal plants. Big deal.

Comment

What's your point?

It's all about who got listened to when people complained. Poor people are generally not listened to, even if their complaints are about health. Rich people are, even if the complain is about shadows.

I'm not interested in farmers whining about moving shadows when we put people downstream of coal plants. Big deal.
                            You Are Not Going To Rewrite History.

Let’s deal with today’s issues today. Fatty Teddy’s family is never allowing turbines in Vineyard Sound

Comment

I've been in a farmhouse that was relatively close to a wind farm, and personally I found the "strobe effect" of the shadows to be quite obnoxious, but I recognize it might affect people differently. But I'm a pretty big supporter of wind generation farms.

My view is this. If you move next to the nuisance, stop complaining. Don't buy the cheap house next to the coal plant or the wind farm. But if you were already there and the nuisance came to you, you have a right to complain. If someone tried to build an electric substation on the empty ground next to my home, I'd be pretty upset about it, I'm sure.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Ugly girls?
                                No.

Yes. Yes.

YES! .... I vote nay.

We'll keep them, they're the smart ones.

What word has 8 chars?

****ing has 7
                                God**** has 7
                                Last edited by Kepler; 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X