This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

I'm also ignorant of the engineering science involved, but it's not only accidents that slow the acceptance of nuclear power. Particularly with increasing awareness of the possibility that our systems can be hacked. Doesn't mean nuclear is not a viable option to carbon burning, but security will be an issue.

Comment

The answer to the hacking issue is easy, if somewhat inconvenient. DO NOT connect the control systems to the internet. Keep them isolated, stand alone. Do not connect them to anything that IS connected.
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
        The answer to the hacking issue is easy, if somewhat inconvenient. DO NOT connect the control systems to the internet. Keep them isolated, stand alone. Do not connect them to anything that IS connected.
        I thought the problem is that a lot of the software depends on interconnectivity with web-based resources (updates, status accounting, etc).
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

With automation becoming more and more prevalent, do you think people would be willing to take the steps to make an entire system that needs to be manned 24/7/365?
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I'm under the impression from an old 60 minutes episode that we still use 1970's floppy disks for our ICBM's for a combination of laziness and because they're too primitive to hack
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

With Cyber threats becoming more and more prevalent, the tools to maintain a secure standalone network are getting better and better in response. I work with multiple isolated networks on a daily basis - it honestly is not that big of an IT burden.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                With automation becoming more and more prevalent, do you think people would be willing to take the steps to make an entire system that needs to be manned 24/7/365?
                all power plants are manned 24/7/365.

you can automate lots of things without connecting them to the internet. You'll still need a human between an externally received signal like "the grid needs more power" and telling the reactor control computer to increase power to X megawatts.

Comment

To be fair all I know about this comes from Battlestar Galactica.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I thought the problem is that a lot of the software depends on interconnectivity with web-based resources (updates, status accounting, etc).
                    Yeah, there is no such thing as an isolated network. Eventually updates get made. Unless those updates are never applied or are written on the isolated network themselves.

Plus we know a little bit about stuxnet’s vector. That was an air-gapped system.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Yeah, there is no such thing as an isolated network. Eventually updates get made. Unless those updates are never applied or are written on the isolated network themselves.

Plus we know a little bit about stuxnet’s vector. That was an air-gapped system.
                      That was managed by building time bombs right into the system prior to release, right? With or without Siemens' knowledge, the US and Israel loaded the malware right onto the firmware so it shipped with the product. When the Iranians turned the control system on they had themselves already brought the Trojan horse into the city. That's how I remember it -- I may be waaaay off.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Weakest links will always be users with physical access like USB ports.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          That was managed by building time bombs right into the system prior to release, right? With or without Siemens' knowledge, the US and Israel loaded the malware right onto the firmware so it shipped with the product. When the Iranians turned the control system on they had themselves already brought the Trojan horse into the city. That's how I remember it -- I may be waaaay off.
                          It’s a possibility. But the virus also was released into the wild where it would install itself, check if it was on the right SLC7, lay dormant and infect everything it touched, and then delete itself.

It had four separate zero day exploits IIRC. This thing was set free to infect and eventually the gap was breached.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Weakest links will always be users with physical access like USB ports.
                            Or any kind of external media. Physical security is the only security.
                            Code:

Comment

https://scoop.upworthy.com/morgan-fr...HvhcEItAtANt9c

Morgan Freeman converted his 124-acre ranch into a bee sanctuary to save the environment
                              Thank you, Morgan Freeman.

This is the kind of thing our government is supposed to be doing.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                This is the kind of thing our government is supposed to be doing.
                                Instead our governement is too busy bulldozing Saguaro
                                Cactus over on national park land specifically created for the protection of said cactus...
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X