Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

I see some pretty economically important states more than 50% underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The following states are F-cked with a capital F even if we just ban coal:
    I don't care about states or countries -- those are 18th century atavisms. Let's assume we* get over the ape territorial stuff soon. I was thinking globally. How far back are we kicked and how long does it take us to recover?

* To do this we may need to get rid of the apes. To every thing there is a season.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-06-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Lucia Apologist

I think weíd see the following;

Mass starvation mostly in the developing world within two years. No cheap energy = no fertilizer
    Instant loss of all mass communication until we get cheap flip phones. iPhones become painfully expensive to use. Riots in the streets by day three. Weíve already tested this theory.
    Scientific research is stymied. Particle physics and anything high energy probably goes into a coma for years, maybe a decade.
    Space exploration completely dies. No way we produce that much energy without petroleum.
    I think weíd see a shift in the economic centers to places like Amsterdam and other places that rely on green energy for their current way of life.
    Personal automobile transportation is almost certainly dead for at least 10+ years. Too much of the grid would need to be used to just run every day life. Iím not sure how mass transport would fare. Maybe ok. Iím guessing we divert as many resources to just producing food as we can. Certainly in the immediate term.

I think humans never fully recover. Itís like the Great Recession economic activity and pressure drop across a valve. Thereís a permanent loss. We might get back to the state we were in but I would think it would be 40-50 years. Maybe 100. But thatís decades of research and development thatís just lost. Entire areas of R&D and science just die. Imagine if the Solvay Conference was blown up on day 1. Would we have discovered quantum mechanics? Maybe. No way to know. But if we did eventually get there, it would have probably taken another 30-70 years.

Iíd love to think about this on a clear head.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Iím guessing we divert as many resources to just producing food as we can..
    how does it get anywhere? stay 'fresh'? cow's farts and poos, are worse than coal so have to kill all them. peeps will have to grow their own potatoes and carrots and eat them raw to be neutral
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    how does it get anywhere? stay 'fresh'? cow's farts and poos, are worse than coal so have to kill all them. peeps will have to grow their own potatoes and carrots and eat them raw to be neutral
    No cows, no poop, no fertilizer, no peas and carrots

Maine has taken out dams for hydro and permitting is so hard they are left in disrepair. At one point Maine had a lot of their electrical generation due to hydro.
    Last edited by walrus; 02-06-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

I think we’d see the following;

Mass starvation mostly in the developing world within two years. No cheap energy = no fertilizer
    Instant loss of all mass communication until we get cheap flip phones. iPhones become painfully expensive to use. Riots in the streets by day three. We’ve already tested this theory.
    Scientific research is stymied. Particle physics and anything high energy probably goes into a coma for years, maybe a decade.
    Space exploration completely dies. No way we produce that much energy without petroleum.
    I think we’d see a shift in the economic centers to places like Amsterdam and other places that rely on green energy for their current way of life.
    Personal automobile transportation is almost certainly dead for at least 10+ years. Too much of the grid would need to be used to just run every day life. I’m not sure how mass transport would fare. Maybe ok. I’m guessing we divert as many resources to just producing food as we can. Certainly in the immediate term.

I think humans never fully recover. It’s like the Great Recession economic activity and pressure drop across a valve. There’s a permanent loss. We might get back to the state we were in but I would think it would be 40-50 years. Maybe 100. But that’s decades of research and development that’s just lost. Entire areas of R&D and science just die. Imagine if the Solvay Conference was blown up on day 1. Would we have discovered quantum mechanics? Maybe. No way to know. But if we did eventually get there, it would have probably taken another 30-70 years.

I’d love to think about this on a clear head.
    Two steps/one step theory. It would trigger a step back on the level of the fall of the Roman Empire. We'd all be living like North Koreans for several decades, at a minimum.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Two steps/one step theory. It would trigger a step back on the level of the fall of the Roman Empire. We'd all be living like North Koreans for several decades, at a minimum.
    Mookie wants to be in the part that gets to pick a different noko hottie every night!!!

So, the right wingers don't believe the science and actually think that "their" scientists number the same as the ones who believe in climate change. Pretty sure I heard it was like 98-2. Just talked to one. He also believes in tax cuts, etc.

So, there's two trump voters I just got done talking too. Wasted my time. It's amazing how they enjoy being in that 35%.

Intractable.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Internet Nutcase
    The following states are F-cked with a capital F even if we just ban coal:
    West Virginia
    Kentucky
    Wyoming

These states are pretty seriously boned if we just banned coal:
    Utah
    Missouri
    Ohio
    Indiana
    Tennessee
    Wisconsin
    North Dakota
    Nebraska

If we toss in natural gas and petroleum:
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Texas
    Iowa
    Arkansas
    Louisiana
    Oklahoma
    Kansas
    Alabama
    Mississippi
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina
    Colorado
    North Carolina
    Michigan
    Pennsylvania
    Virginia
    Hawaii
    California
    Nevada
    New Mexico
    Minnesota
    Illinois
    New York
    Maryland
    All of New England except Vermont

These states would limp by:
    South Dakota
    Montana
    Idaho

These states would be mostly ok:
    Oregon
    Idaho

These states wouldn't sneeze:
    Washington
    Vermont

Based entirely on generation capacity. Not a perfect measure, but it works. I also created a Kepler's Proposal F-cked Factor by taking the green energy% minus the fossil fuel% and only six states were above 0%.

WA 58%
    VT 54%
    ID 48%
    OR 40%
    SD 17%
    MT 5%
    ND -14%
    IA -20%

Maine -22%
    CA -23%
    DC -30%
    KS -33%
    NV -38%
    NH -38%
    MN -39%
    OK -47%
    NM -47%
    CO -52%
    NC -53%
    NE -53%

NY -54%
    AZ -55%
    TN -56%
    SC -57%

IL -58%
    TX -59%
    AL -60%
    WY -62%
    AK -63%

HI -64%
    PA -67%
    UT -67%
    CT -68%
    AR -70%
    NJ -70%
    MI -70%
    GA -71%
    MD -74%
    VA -76%
    MA -77%
    WI -77%
    MO -82%
    IN -83%
    WV -86%
    LA -87%

OH -88%
    MS -88%
    FL -90%
    KY -90%

RI -91%
    Delaware -98%

If I recall correctly Maine utilities have scaled back operations at natural gas power plants due to supply problems in winter and pricing, offset by importing additional hydro power from quebec. So our consumption doesnít match up well with generating capacity. Just a couple years ago natural gas accounted for about 50% of the power generated in Maine. Now itís behind Hydro (30%) biomass (~25%) and wind (20%), but that doesnít include whatís produced elsewhere and imported to make up for the cut in natural gas power generation.

Lucia Apologist

Iíve been looking for the consumption tables. Theyíre there, but I havenít taken the time to get them.

I really need to though. Could be interesting.

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Well duh, they've been in bed with fossil fuels for 40+ years.

They knew early. & Their goal has been to sow doubt this entire time.
    Exactly the same as the tobacco industry.

If there was any justice...

But, there isn't.

God sucks for not existing.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

So the senate passed NRMA act 92-8. This is for land conservation not climate change but putting it here.
    The No votes:

Cruz
    Mike lee
    Johnson from WI
    2 a-holes from Ok
    Rand Paul
    Ben sasse
    Some R from Pennsylvania

Internet Nutcase

I’ve been looking for the consumption tables. They’re there, but I haven’t taken the time to get them.

I really need to though. Could be interesting.
    I'd be interested in seeing that data

this page has an area chart of generation per state (not consumption)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...our-state.html

in the case of Maine it shows that in just the last couple years hydro, biomass, and wind overtook natural gas, but it hasn't added much generation capacity (other than wind), and it's not like state are isolated so it's also consuming power also generated through out new england and Canada
    Last edited by BassAle; 02-13-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing that data

this page has an area chart of generation per state (not consumption)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...our-state.html

in the case of Maine it shows that in just the last couple years hydro, biomass, and wind overtook natural gas, but it hasn't added much generation capacity (other than wind), and it's not like state are isolated so it's also consuming power also generated through out new england and Canada
    Probably not in Southern MAine but in this area doesn't most of the gas fueling Veazie come from Sable Island. Sable is closed down. Not sure what that means to Veazie but Bucksport hasn't run in years.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Kicizapi Cetan

Has anyone else been paying attention to the look at climate that @ScottAdamsSays has been moderating on Twitter? It's actually pretty good dialog from both POVs.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Kicizapi Cetan

"Science, the foundation of science is doubt. Scientific things are things that are falsifiable, independently verifiable, and make very narrow and risky predictions. Scientific things are not done by consensus, that's politics. The moment you have to get a whole bunch of people to agree on something that's politics. The hallmark of science is you make a scientific claim, I can replicate or verify that claim on my own. That claim has to make a set of predictions that are novel and are unlikely and narrow in how they are defined. They're hard to vary after the fact so if I come back and say, "You didn't match up with your prediction," you're not allowed to more the goal posts too much. And then, those predictions have to be falsifiable. They have to be tested in the real world that may prove those things to be false. This is not me this is Karl Popper, a historian of science."

-- Naval Ravikant from about 10:35 on here

Keep listening.

He makes really good points to both POVs.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information