Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

A few shots from Saturday night’s Blue/Gold game, won by Gold 4-2 FWIW. Fairly good pace for this type of game, but can’t really tell anything about scoring ability or goaltending strength. Anxious for our exhibition against Simon Fraser this coming Friday (9-29-17). Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      As the person who will be running the WCHA media poll this year, my feelings are hurt!

GFM
      I'm just hurt I don't count as media :P
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm getting old. I just hurt.

Comment

gfm
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Justin Woods voted team captain for 2017-18.
            Zach Frye and Tayler Munson named alternate captains.

Press Release

Comment

A few shots from Friday night’s 6-0 exhibition win over Simon Fraser University. The boys dominated play, outshooting FSU 53-12, but there is work to be done.

Nice to see the boys back on the ice…

Lots of early chances but did not convert…

We have all our defense back and only four freshmen forwards. Justin Young and the other freshmen played well...

Tyler Cline was able to knock this one down and back hand it into the net for 1-0 lead as time expired in the first period...

The Nooks continued to controll play in the second period...

Off a nice feed from freshman Steven Jandric, team captain Justin Woods was able to put this wrister past the SFU goaltender for the 2-0 lead...

Jandric got his first goal as Nook and made in 3-0 when his pass attempt thru the crease went off a SFU defensemen...

Troy Van Tetering was able to poke this rebound through early in the third to take a 4-0 lead.

The Nooks take on Air Force at home this coming weekend.
              Go Nooks!

Comment

We got done what we needed to get done against SFU. I thought the guys settled down once they got the first goal and proceeded to relax and drop the hammer in periods 2 and 3.

This Air Force series should be interesting and a decent benchmark test. We have had success against the Academy in prior years, but Air Force is projected to win their conference and did make an NCAA tourney appearance last year.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

The next couple of weekends against Air Force (home) and St. Cloud (away) will not only be a true barometer of where we are at, but important non-conference match-ups. The USCHO preseason poll has Air Force at 17 and St. Cloud at 9. Air Force is good and will be disciplined and well conditioned, and St. Cloud just has a lot of talent. In our last meeting, SCSU beat us 3-0 in the 2015-16 Kendall.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    In our last meeting, SCSU beat us 3-0 in the 2015-16 Kendall.
                    I was at that game, and it was not as close as the final score suggests. St. Cloud in their barn will be a big test.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      I was at that game, and it was not as close as the final score suggests. St. Cloud in their barn will be a big test.
                      Funny. I originally wrote..."but it wasn't really that close". But since not many of the same players will be taking the ice, I deleted it before posting.

Comment

I'll take a 2-2 record in a heartbeat since our tenders are a wide open question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
                          I'll take a 2-2 record in a heartbeat since our tenders are a wide open question.
                          Martinsson got some love from Chris Dilks in the SBNation blog today.

Comment

Nice take. Perhaps Dilks is the next Great Kreskin. Wouldn't that be nice!

Comment

Air Force this weekend. We have played Air Force frequently over the last few years in the Kendall and the Brice, and have had good success. They seem to have raised their level of play the last couple of years but I hope we can keep the trend going.

UAF vs Air Force
                              2010-11 Kendall....... W 5-2
                              2012-13 Kendall....... T 3-3
                              2013-14 Kendall....... W 6-1
                              2014-15 Brice.......... W 4-3

Comment

The Nooks dropped a hard fought game to Air Force last night (10-6-17), 2-3. Disappointed with the loss but the boys played pretty well for an early season game. They controlled 5x5 play for a lot of the game, had a number of quality scoring chances, and played hard. Special teams play was their downfall. Here are a few shots from last night, and here's a LINK to small gallery of more shots.

Comment

Working...
                                X