2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Not necessary to start a thread on the South Korean team (!), but I think this will be of interest to women's hockey fans:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/s...e=sectionfront

Comment

Great article, thirdtime, thanks for posting. My thought is if they seriously considering forming a joint team at this late juncture, which would be done for political reasons only, unrelated to the sport of hockey, then the South should first demand certain concessions from the North that could later be enforced. The North obviously has the most to gain from any unification, so the South should take advantage of its upper hand in the negotiations. Don't agree to anything without getting something in return, other than just a temporary good feeling.

But politics aside, I'm in favor of letting the South team represent themselves. As noted in the article, the players put too much sweat into getting ready and it would be terribly unfair to pull the rug out from underneath them.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Yeah, it's interesting. Korean politics and North/South reunification issues are a BFD.

But we saw that South Korean team in September and October against a bunch of WCHA teams working hard unifying themselves as a team and getting ready for the Olympics. Too bad they turned into a pawn in all of this.

Comment

The North obviously has the most to gain from any unification, so the South should take advantage of its upper hand in the negotiations.
          The Kim regime's goal is to stay in power. Unification means Kim Jong Un gets strung up in the streets as his people realize they've been scammed for the last 70 years. It's the last thing they want.

NK wants to destabilize SK society and complicate relations between the US and SK. SK now is under a lot of pressure to make sure this doesn't backfire and the Olympics go smoothly with no drama, so NK has the upper hand. Thank the IOC for giving NK propaganda a global audience and patting themselves on the back for it.

Don't agree to anything without getting something in return, other than just a temporary good feeling.
          What SK gets is assurance that NK won't do anything crazy with their dancers and athletes at the Olympics spreading good feelings towards NK around the world, and the SK politicians get brownie points with their far left base that wants more friendly interactions with NK and less American influence in SK. This side of SK politics will also be in favor of minimizing sanctions against NK and reducing American military presence in SK, which is what NK really wants.

But politics aside, I'm in favor of letting the South team represent themselves. As noted in the article, the players put too much sweat into getting ready and it would be terribly unfair to pull the rug out from underneath them.
          Couldn't agree more. I tend towards utilitarianism, but I'm not seeing the greater good coming out of this.

Comment

Nice analysis. But only the 2nd post in almost 8 years? Don't love the fan forum much?
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-29-2018, 09:56 AM. Reason: What's to love?
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
              Nice analysis. But only the 2nd post in almost 8 years?
              Less is more? Quality over quantity?
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

It was nice to see a picture of "Hockey Sisters" Hannah Brandt and Marissa (albeit a small one) in Sunday's Parade magazine next to the article about Karen Chen and Scott Hamilton.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  It was nice to see a picture of "Hockey Sisters" Hannah Brandt and Marissa (albeit a small one) in Sunday's Parade magazine next to the article about Karen Chen and Scott Hamilton.
                  They also are highlighted on the USA Hockey site: http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rer_id=2389107 (You have to click on "Feb 5" to see the Day 3 pictures)

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                    They also are highlighted on the USA Hockey site: http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rer_id=2389107 (You have to click on "Feb 5" to see the Day 3 pictures)
                    OMG It's OldDave!
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Full TV schedule is posted here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/hockey

NBCSN will televise most of the games, including the Gold Medal game on the 21st, while the USA Network and CNBC will carry the rest.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Thx for this, D2D.

By the way, if you dig a little deeper you’ll discover that the nice thing about this schedule for those staying up for the USA-Finland game at 2:40 a.m. Sunday is that you can get extra pumped watching Korea take on Canada in mixed doubles curling at 1:30 a.m. Also live.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

NBCSN will televise most of the games, including the Gold Medal game on the 21st, while the USA Network and CNBC will carry the rest.
                          Any idea whether those of us without a cable subscription will be able to stream the games? I didn't find an answer to that on the NBC site in a cursory search.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            Any idea whether those of us without a cable subscription will be able to stream the games? I didn't find an answer to that on the NBC site in a cursory search.
                            I believe through PlayStation Vue, centurylinkstream, Hulu live tv-these amongst a few others, one could get the games.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post

What is this "part" stuff?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• i imagine there will be issues when we try to record a game for later viewing. The beginning or end being preempted or shown on a different channel. Maybe a whole game shown on a different channel?

It's possible the games may be archived at NBCOlympics.com for later viewing. Although that seems like not a very NBC type thing to do.
                                Last edited by KTDC; 02-07-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X