Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
    The only mistake I see with Stauber is having so many old veterans back on this team. Some of these gals have been around too long and are past their prime. Being on this team was a way to make more money than the pro team they are on. We need the new blood with the fresh legs who will listen to the coach.
    I've always felt like the players who are -2 to +2 years out of college are the ideal age for this (not that there aren't exceptions). NCAA women's hockey is the top league in the world in this sport, and the players playing in it are getting the world's best training. That might change once the N and the C put themselves in a position to make full-time training a priority for their players, but they aren't there yet. My guess is a team of NCAA All Stars would be pretty competitive with the Olympic teams. **SCALDING HOT TAKE ALERT**

Also I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take it with a heaping helping of salt.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      I've always felt like the players who are -2 to +2 years out of college are the ideal age for this (not that there aren't exceptions). NCAA women's hockey is the top league in the world in this sport, and the players playing in it are getting the world's best training. That might change once the N and the C put themselves in a position to make full-time training a priority for their players, but they aren't there yet. My guess is a team of NCAA All Stars would be pretty competitive with the Olympic teams. **SCALDING HOT TAKE ALERT**

Also I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take it with a heaping helping of salt.
      Watt are you talking about?

If Matt Desrosiers wins another NCAA title I can see him coaching the Canadian National team (and Joe Marsh gets another substitute gig).
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Lol, what a terrible example!
        Did he not win the Coach of the Year award during one of his years behind the bench for Colorado?

If so, wouldn't that temper your opinion of him to some degree?

Comment

If Stauber's team wins the only game that truly matters he'll be hailed as the second coming of Herb Brooks. And who knows, some people might draw comparisons to the great Scotty Bowman even.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
            If Stauber's team wins the only game that truly matters he'll be hailed as the second coming of Herb Brooks. And who knows, some people might draw comparisons to the great Scotty Bowman even.
            Lol, maybe not Brooks (and definitely not Bowman) but perhaps Ben Smith who then went on to screw things up when he very unceremoniously cut Granato and Looney and then lost Gold that Olympics. Talk about a dumb decision that backfired!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              Did he not win the Coach of the Year award during one of his years behind the bench for Colorado?

If so, wouldn't that temper your opinion of him to some degree?
              Lmao, not in the least. Roy is a dumba**.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                Lol, maybe not Brooks (and definitely not Bowman) but perhaps Ben Smith who then went on to screw things up when he very unceremoniously cut Granato and Looney and then lost Gold that Olympics. Talk about a dumb decision that backfired!
                He also lost the silver in the same Games.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  He also lost the silver in the same Games.
                  True but the reality is "If you ain't first you're last!"

Comment

"If you ain't first you're last!"
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4usE2RePqo
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

As long as he wins Gold. Nothing else will be good enough. Even getting the Silver will mean he was the wrong choice.
                      I agree that this is how it will go, but it's a really dumb way to decide who is and is not a good coach. If one puck sliding the length of the ice goes six inches to the left of where it did, Katey Stone would be considered a winner rather than a loser, despite having done the exact same job coaching the team. Having the determination of competence come down to the outcome of a single game, or even just three games if you judge the infrastructure over the 2009-2018 period, is the way that stupid organizations make sure that they remain stupid.

There were certainly some process issues with Stone, much as there are with Stauber now. Judge them on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        I agree that this is how it will go, but it's a really dumb way to decide who is and is not a good coach. If one puck sliding the length of the ice goes six inches to the left of where it did, Katey Stone would be considered a winner rather than a loser, despite having done the exact same job coaching the team. Having the determination of competence come down to the outcome of a single game, or even just three games if you judge the infrastructure over the 2009-2018 period, is the way that stupid organizations make sure that they remain stupid.

There were certainly some process issues with Stone, much as there are with Stauber now. Judge them on that.
                        Great post and I don't disagree but no Olympic Gold medals since '98?! That's just not good, and it grows worse with each passing Olympics without another Gold. Coaches are judged by their wins and losses at the end of the day and they know that type of judgement goes with the job, fair or not.

Comment

Great post and I don't disagree but no Olympic Gold medals since '98?! That's just not good, and it grows worse with each passing Olympics without another Gold. Coaches are judged by their wins and losses at the end of the day and they know that type of judgement goes with the job, fair or not.
                          To me, it's not a question of being fair; it's a question of making the right decisions to produce the greatest likelihood of winning gold in the future. The U.S. hasn't won it since 1998, but that hinges on four games lost by a total of five goals, albeit one of them in the semis to Sweden. That's too tiny a sample size of games in which one bounce could have made the difference from which to make judgments based upon the outcomes. A good organization won't be much swayed by them and will judge the process.

An outstanding organization can do the same thing when they've won a series of close games with a flawed process.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post

"if" ROFL

a couple weeks ago some Canadian was calling for Schuler's head and the blaming the captains because they had lost the 4 Nations Cup, that is to be expected
                            these past games are meaningingless
                            now we've had someone saying the US players are too old and Stauber is a moron
                            I guess it's nice someone actually cares
                            Last edited by pokechecker; 12-15-2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              To me, it's not a question of being fair; it's a question of making the right decisions to produce the greatest likelihood of winning gold in the future. The U.S. hasn't won it since 1998, but that hinges on four games lost by a total of five goals, albeit one of them in the semis to Sweden. That's too tiny a sample size of games in which one bounce could have made the difference from which to make judgments based upon the outcomes. A good organization won't be much swayed by them and will judge the process.

An outstanding organization can do the same thing when they've won a series of close games with a flawed process.
                              sample size, this is sports, not some social science

bases loaded, two outs, ninth inning ...
                              you either get the job done or you don't

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                                sample size, this is sports, not some social science

bases loaded, two outs, ninth inning ...
                                you either get the job done or you don't
                                I didn't really expect you to get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X