Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 352

Thread: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

  1. #121

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #25 – Miami Redhawks
    Points: 49.1665 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: -0.0175 (Rank: 47)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 6.1082 (Rank: 21)
    Last Season Ranking: #25

    It was a tough season for the Redhawks. They finished with a 9-20-7 record, ending the season 0-9-1. It was their worst season since ‘90 –’91 when they went 5-29-3 under second year coach George Gwozdecky. Their 7th place finish was the lowest since they joined the NCHC. ’17-’18 looks like it will be another challenging season with 18 underclassmen. – Siouxfaninseattle
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  2. #122

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #24 – Union Dutchmen
    Points: 63.6099 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 4.2713 (Rank: 6)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 51.972 (Rank: 3)
    Last Season Ranking: #24

    The Dutchmen returned to the NCAA tournament this year, though they lost badly in the first round, 10-3 to Penn State. Union was expected to be a middle-of-the-pack team in ECAC play, but finished tied for 1st. Union beat Princeton in the second round of the ECAC tournament, then lost to Cornell in Lake Placid.

    Including 2 juniors leaving early, Union loses 8 players, including their starting goaltender and top 2 scorers on the season (and Hobey Baker finalist Mike Vecchione. Nearly 50% of the teams scoring does not return in 2017-18. Union did surprisingly well in 2016-17, and hopes to do the same in 2017-18. – drshoen
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  3. #123

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #23 – St. Lawrence Saints
    Points: 69.1492 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.5174 (Rank: 23)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 4.6656 (Rank: 26)
    Last Season Ranking: #23

    The Saints had their third consecutive season over .500, finishing 4th in the ECAC before losing to Quinnipiac at home in three games. St. Lawrence suffered through a significant number of injuries during the season and struggled down the stretch, winning only 1 of the last 6 games in the regular season.

    The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. The more significant loss is goaltender Kyle Hayton, who is leaving after three years. Arthur Brey played 4 games in net for the Saints in 2016-17, and becomes the incumbent. With Hayton and Bayreuther gone, it becomes difficult to imagine that the Saints will get farther in the ECAC tournament or return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade. – drshoen
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  4. #124
    clarkson 1990
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Owego, NY
    Posts
    780

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    #23 – St. Lawrence Saints
    Points: 69.1492 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.5174 (Rank: 23)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 4.6656 (Rank: 26)
    Last Season Ranking: #23

    The Saints had their third consecutive season over .500, finishing 4th in the ECAC before losing to Quinnipiac at home in three games. St. Lawrence suffered through a significant number of injuries during the season and struggled down the stretch, winning only 1 of the last 6 games in the regular season.

    The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. The more significant loss is goaltender Kyle Hayton, who is leaving after three years. Arthur Brey played 4 games in net for the Saints in 2016-17, and becomes the incumbent. With Hayton and Bayreuther gone, it becomes difficult to imagine that the Saints will get farther in the ECAC tournament or return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade. – drshoen
    In the interest of full disclosure, here's the paragraph 2 I originally wrote - if Hayton doesn't leave, as has been rumored...

    The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. Goaltender Kyle Hayton also returns for one more season. With better injury luck, and continued good play, the Saints hope to get farther in the ECAC tournament and return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade.
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

  5. #125

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by drshoen View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, here's the paragraph 2 I originally wrote - if Hayton doesn't leave, as has been rumored...

    The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. Goaltender Kyle Hayton also returns for one more season. With better injury luck, and continued good play, the Saints hope to get farther in the ECAC tournament and return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade.
    My bad. I thought Hayton to Wisconsin was a done deal once he graduates this summer?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  6. #126

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #22 – Yale Bulldogs
    Points: 76.1136 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0183 (Rank: 40)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 42.4446 (Rank: 5)
    Last Season Ranking: #22

    The Bulldogs finished below .500 for the first time in a decade in 2016-17. Yale finished in 8th in the ECAC, and beat Dartmouth at home before losing to Harvard in round 2 of the ECAC tournament.

    Yale loses 6 to graduation, including one goaltender and 3 of the top 6 in scoring from 2016-17. Sophomore Sam Tucker is the lone returning goaltender, and top scorer and classmate Joe Snively also returns. The Bulldogs will hope that their time spent below .500 is limited to one season, and that they can advance farther in the ECAC tournament in 2017-18. – drshoen
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  7. #127
    clarkson 1990
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Owego, NY
    Posts
    780

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    My bad. I thought Hayton to Wisconsin was a done deal once he graduates this summer?
    Hard to tell; I haven't heard anyone say it isn't going to happen, but I haven't seen anything official saying it was happening either. Just thought it would be good to have both versions of "the truth" out there - you can pick whichever version you like
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

  8. #128
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by drshoen View Post
    Hard to tell; I haven't heard anyone say it isn't going to happen, but I haven't seen anything official saying it was happening either. Just thought it would be good to have both versions of "the truth" out there - you can pick whichever version you like
    Surely, summer school has ended at St. Lawrence by this point? Should be pretty easy to figure out if Hayton has completed his degree there or not.

  9. #129

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #21 – Northern Michigan Wildcats
    Points: 81.1787 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: -0.0382 (Rank: 50)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.2406 (Rank: 52)
    Last Season Ranking: #21

    Northern Michigan had a disappointing season, finishing eighth in the WCHA, barely making the playoffs. If it wasn’t for the brilliance of Atte Tolvanen (Sophomore Goaltender) and his shutout streak of 339:05, which was part of a 7-1-2 stretch to start 2017, the Wildcats likely would have missed the playoffs. After the season, head coach Walt Kyle was fired and eventually replaced by long time Minnesota assistant, Grant Potulny as the third coach in program history.

    Potulny got to work quickly hiring new assistants and revamping the 2017 recruiting class with four new recruits since his hire in April. The Wildcats lose All-WCHA Third Team forward Dominik Shine but return the previously mentioned Tolvanen as well as All-Rookie forward Darien Craighead. NMU has an uphill battle but the administration certainly made a splash with hiring Potulny and it’s likely to pay dividends in the future. – Shirtless Guy
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    #21 – Northern Michigan Wildcats
    Points: 81.1787 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: -0.0382 (Rank: 50)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.2406 (Rank: 52)
    Last Season Ranking: #21

    Northern Michigan had a disappointing season, finishing eighth in the WCHA, barely making the playoffs. If it wasn’t for the brilliance of Atte Tolvanen (Sophomore Goaltender) and his shutout streak of 339:05, which was part of a 7-1-2 stretch to start 2017, the Wildcats likely would have missed the playoffs. After the season, head coach Walt Kyle was fired and eventually replaced by long time Minnesota assistant, Grant Potulny as the third coach in program history.

    Potulny got to work quickly hiring new assistants and revamping the 2017 recruiting class with four new recruits since his hire in April. The Wildcats lose All-WCHA Third Team forward Dominik Shine but return the previously mentioned Tolvanen as well as All-Rookie forward Darien Craighead. NMU has an uphill battle but the administration certainly made a splash with hiring Potulny and it’s likely to pay dividends in the future. – Shirtless Guy
    FS23, please come back and finish. Thanks for the list!

  11. #131

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky15 View Post
    FS23, please come back and finish. Thanks for the list!
    For you...anything.

    I've been quite busy, and I'm still waiting on Shirtless Guy for Michigan Tech's summary. Once I have that, I should be good to go for the Top 20.

    Shirtless Guy, if you already sent Tech's summary, please accept my apologies and resend. Thanks.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  12. #132
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,851

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    For you...anything.

    I've been quite busy, and I'm still waiting on Shirtless Guy for Michigan Tech's summary. Once I have that, I should be good to go for the Top 20.

    Shirtless Guy, if you already sent Tech's summary, please accept my apologies and resend. Thanks.
    I have not completed that yet, thanks.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  13. #133
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    For you...anything.

    I've been quite busy, and I'm still waiting on Shirtless Guy for Michigan Tech's summary. Once I have that, I should be good to go for the Top 20.

    Shirtless Guy, if you already sent Tech's summary, please accept my apologies and resend. Thanks.
    Just mention meanegirl holding up the "I want you in this box" posterboard and you're all set

  14. #134

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #20 – Bowling Green Falcons
    Points: 81.4551 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0602 (Rank: 33)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 1.9338 (Rank: 38)
    Last Season Ranking: #20

    One could be forgiven that the hard times in Bowling Green aren’t that far in the past. Even a rough start to the 2016-17 campaign was offset by running roughshod through the WCHA playoffs, dispatching Ferris State and Bemidji State in two-game sweeps before losing to Michigan Tech deep in the 2nd overtime. Even so, the Falcons are still on the outside looking in when it comes to the NCAA tournament, having not made the national postseason since 1989-90.

    That three consecutive 20-win seasons is considered a disappointment is a credit to Chris Bergeron, his staff, and the players at BG. Still, getting over that hump is proving to be a tall task, made harder by the fact that the WCHA has been a one-bid league in each of the last two seasons.

    To fly higher, the Falcons will have to replace three 10-goal scorers in F Kevin Dufour, D Sean Walker, and F Matt Pohlkamp. Tougher still, juniors D Mark Friedman (Flyers) and G Chris Nell (Rangers) left for the professional ranks. The biggest hole is left by Nell, whose primary backup last year, freshman Ryan Bednard, played well early but didn’t play after mid-January. – gfmorris
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  15. #135

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #19 – Providence Friars
    Points: 83.1074 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.9618 (Rank: 16)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 45.3049 (Rank: 4)
    Last Season Ranking: #19

    Providence entered this season with high expectations, having the fewest question marks in Hockey East (BU freshman heavy, BC ravaged by departures, UML no proven goaltending, NU may have been a flash in the pan) and a co-share of the regular season title in the previous year. Goaltender Hayden Hawkey (Buccigross’s favorite name to be sure) came in with little experience, but great pedigree, as the only other goalies Nate Leaman’s team had employed were exceptional in Jon Gillies, and well above average in Nick Ellis. With that said, PC did lose their top 4 scorers to graduation entering the season. PC showed well in conference play after underperforming in early out of conference action with losses to Miami and Holy Cross. Against the top of the table in Hockey East PC struggled, taking 1 point from BU and Notre Dame and being swept by BC, with their one bright spot against the top of the table came in a sweep over Lowell in late January. The loss to Notre Dame hurt especially, as it took the Friars out of home ice contention, forcing them to have to play UMass for 2 more games to kick off the playoffs before travelling to Indiana to face Notre Dame. They were fairly dominated in their matchups with Notre Dame in the Hockey East playoffs, losing consecutive games by a composite 2-10. In the NCAA tournament PC, as a four seed, was set against Harvard, where they suffered another shutout loss at the hands of the Crimson, ending their season. PC loses star defenseman Jake Walman a year early to the NHL, but otherwise returns much of their roster for next season, and one would expect them to make a run at another conference regular season title and make a real run at their first conference tournament title in the Nate Leaman era. – UML Puck Hawk
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  16. #136

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    #18 – New Hampshire Wildcats
    Points: 88.7218 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.5833 (Rank: 20)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 8.9391 (Rank: 16)
    Last Season Ranking: #18

    The University of New Hampshire Wildcats are just waiting out the tenure of coach Dick Umile. The last few years have proven to be a definitive step back for the program, as they continue to move away from their former glory. Entering 2016-17 UNH was expected to be a somewhat middling program, but their incredibly weak OOC schedule promised Wildcat fans a few wins at home before they hit the brunt of their schedule. Home losses to Bentley, Colorado College, and Arizona State, along with a tie at the hands of Sacred Heart effectively tanked UNH’s OOC performance. Early in conference play they had some success beating up on the bottom feeders of UMaine and UMass, but their schedule was back loaded with the class of Hockey East, leading to a second half record of 3-10-3 leading into postseason play. Relegated to the ten seed after being swept on the final weekend by UConn, UNH traveled to Merrimack for the first weekend of Hockey East play. There they lost the first, but a pair of heroic performances by Danny Tirone carried them out of North Andover with an upset. They then travelled up the river to Lowell, where they took game 1 from a sleepy Lowell team, lost game 2 close, then were run out of the building in game 3 ending their 16-17 campaign. Looking at next season UNH looks stable if unspectacular in net, but the losses of Tyler Kelleher and Matias Cleland will test the depth of the Wildcats. They do return an excellent freshman line, and most of their goal scoring for what is expected to be Dick Umile’s last hurrah in Durham. – UML Puck Hawk
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    #18 – New Hampshire Wildcats
    Points: 88.7218 Points
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.5833 (Rank: 20)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 8.9391 (Rank: 16)
    Last Season Ranking: #18

    The University of New Hampshire Wildcats are just waiting out the tenure of coach Dick Umile. The last few years have proven to be a definitive step back for the program, as they continue to move away from their former glory. – UML Puck Hawk
    I would agree with Puck Hawk's assessment, but according to the numbers, UNH was in the top third of all programs both last year and in the last 5 years. What am I missing?

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I would agree with Puck Hawk's assessment, but according to the numbers, UNH was in the top third of all programs both last year and in the last 5 years. What am I missing?
    Probably some credit for Kelleher and Cleland?
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 20(19ish?)



    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid
    RIP KRoy4Hobey, Gr8Sk8M8(?), BUtogether(?)

  19. #139

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I would agree with Puck Hawk's assessment, but according to the numbers, UNH was in the top third of all programs both last year and in the last 5 years. What am I missing?
    Well, one could argue that New Hampshire was a Top 10 program from the mid-to-late 1990s through 2013, and their recent trend back towards the average seems like a steeper decline.

    As for their points, UNH did make a Regional Final appearance in 2013, and, to a lesser extent, were aided by Providence winning the title in 2015.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  20. #140

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Probably some credit for Kelleher and Cleland?
    Yeah, having All-Americans and Hobey finalists will also help increase a team's points to a limited extent.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •