Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
Results 381 to 386 of 386

Thread: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

  1. #381
    clarkson 1990
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Owego, NY
    Posts
    800

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    **** Union was almost #26!
    They're having a bad year this time around, maybe they will fall 1 spot
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

  2. #382
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,321

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Seems like Cornell is well poised to crack the top 10 after this season; a national title might get them to #9.

    Top 7 is the elite club, however. It will be a loooong time before membership in that group changes.

  3. #383
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,912

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    I am surprised to see Michigan State so high. They do have three titles but all three of those teams have been the worst teams to win an NCAA title. But I suppose the formula that doesn't matter. UMD's 2018 team had the most losses of any national champion, but it still counts.
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  4. #384
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,834

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    I am surprised to see Michigan State so high. They do have three titles but all three of those teams have been the worst teams to win an NCAA title. But I suppose the formula that doesn't matter. UMD's 2018 team had the most losses of any national champion, but it still counts.
    Because Michigan St. has been down for quite awhile now it's easy to forget that they were a top program for about 25 years, from the early 80's until the mid-2000's. I think they made the tournament something like 23 out of 27 years, or something like that, had a number of Frozen Four appearances, were a top seed numerous times, and were consistently fighting with Michigan for CCHA tournament and regular season titles. I think they won something like 8 regular season championships and another 10-11 CCHA playoff championships. It's my guess that the CCHA championships and that 25 year stretch of pretty sustained competitiveness is where MSU gets its edge over UMD.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  5. #385
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,321

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Not sure how any of MSUís championship teams could be worse that Yale, who squeaked into the tourney as PWR #15 due to a lack o conference tournament upsets (IIRC).

  6. #386

    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    **** Union was almost #26!
    Union has a fairly comfortable lead for the 25 spot. Realistically, one of the following would need to occur: (1) Quinnipiac or Miami go on a run and make it to another national title game; or (2) one of Dartmouth, Ferris State, SCSU, Northeastern, Colgate, Ohio State or Massachusetts Lowell go on a run and win the national championship. Of course, that is just over the course of the next season. We will see where the Dutchmen are at the end of the 2020s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    Pretty awesome to see UMD in the top 10. I think they were about 15 in prior years that this was done. Thanks everyone for doing this. Its fun to read
    Duluth had one of the top 5 or so decades in the history of the sport. Winning 3 titles in a decade is pretty impressive. Only Michigan (5 titles in the 50s), Denver (4 titles in the 60s), BU (3 titles in the 70s), Minnesota (3 titles in the 70s), and North Dakota (3 titles in the 80s) can claim such an accomplishment. They deserve to be in the Top 10. FWIW, UMD was 20th coming into the decade. Nice jump for the Bulldogs.

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Seems like Cornell is well poised to crack the top 10 after this season; a national title might get them to #9.

    Top 7 is the elite club, however. It will be a loooong time before membership in that group changes.
    Depending on what the teams surrounding them do, Cornell has a very good chance to push into the Top 10. A trip to the Frozen Four would almost certainly be enough, and a regional final appearance could do the trick. Moreover, as you recognized, a national title could vault them up to #9, but would probably require Duluth faltering down the stretch.

    As for the Big 7, it will be a difficult group to catch. I would bet good money that the Big 7 won't change this decade or even the next. Unless of course Duluth just wins the title every season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    I am surprised to see Michigan State so high. They do have three titles but all three of those teams have been the worst teams to win an NCAA title. But I suppose the formula that doesn't matter. UMD's 2018 team had the most losses of any national champion, but it still counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Because Michigan St. has been down for quite awhile now it's easy to forget that they were a top program for about 25 years, from the early 80's until the mid-2000's. I think they made the tournament something like 23 out of 27 years, or something like that, had a number of Frozen Four appearances, were a top seed numerous times, and were consistently fighting with Michigan for CCHA tournament and regular season titles. I think they won something like 8 regular season championships and another 10-11 CCHA playoff championships. It's my guess that the CCHA championships and that 25 year stretch of pretty sustained competitiveness is where MSU gets its edge over UMD.
    Bingo. Michigan State has 27 NCAA Tournament appearances (more than Wisconsin), 30 NCAA Tournament victories (more than anyone below them, sans Maine (tied with 30)), and 11 Frozen Fours (more than anyone below them, sans Harvard (13) and Maine (tied with 11)). Throw in a bunch of CCHA titles (and a few WCHA titles), and of course their three national titles, and the Spartans have the hardware to hang with anyone outside the Big 7. They are slipping though. Unless they turn things around, I would not be surprised to see MSU lose their grip on the 8 spot by the end of the decade.

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Not sure how any of MSUís championship teams could be worse that Yale, who squeaked into the tourney as PWR #15 due to a lack o conference tournament upsets (IIRC).
    Michigan State's 1965-1966 team is the lowest ranked national champion of all time (at #611 overall per my rankings). They were barely a .500 team (16-13-0), with a losing conference record (9-11-0). Yale's 2012-2013 national title squad was at least 10 games above .500, although still the second-lowest ranked champion (at #502). Michigan State's 2006-2007 team was also in the bottom ten for champions (at #389), but their 1985-1986 title squad was pretty good overall (#91).
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •