X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    Best wishes to Coach Smith. Glad he was able to find some friendly RPI faces at the Frozen Four.

I hope he was appalled by the way all those interminable replay reviews slowed the pace of last night's championship game to a crawl.

If Coach Smith can bring winning hockey back to the Field House, that'll be wonderful. If he can do so without asking the refs to stop the game for replay reviews of every call that is even the slightest bit questionable, that'll be even better.
    I too wish Coach Smith all the best going forward. Admittedly he was not my first choice but not being privy to the behind the scenes negotiations I can only hope the best decision was made.

That being said, I have dealt with several consulting firms in my 40 years in industry. In a number of instances I was assigned to act as my company's primary interface with the consulting firm. In short, I never could understand how a fortune 500 company could hire someone outside of their field of expertise and expect that they could make better decisions than their own internal subject matter experts. Most consultants would come in and immediately ask the question, "what conclusions would you like to see from this engagement?" Not once did I think the consultant was worth cost not only in dollars but in resources and time of the company's employees. I am not a fan of consultants.

As to the comments on 'not-so instant replay' reviews, apparently I am in the minority - I don't care how long it takes so long as they get it correct. If you want a fast-moving pace without correct calls then you can go to the WWE for entertainment. The problem is not with the replay mechanism itself in most cases. The problem lies in the quality of the judges and referees doing the reviewing. And based upon their horrible inconsistency on the ice as evidenced by blown offside calls, phantom penalties or those blatant ones not called at all, etc. why would you expect any better? The status quo will not improve until the refs are held accountable with full disclosure of their performance. Stewie are you out there?
    Last edited by DeepRed72; 04-11-2017, 03:15 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Our rhythmic gymnastic team.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Anyone know how long Coach Smith is signed for?

Comment

Originally posted by RedWrister View Post
          5 years
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
            I too wish Coach Smith all the best going forward. Admittedly he was not my first choice but not being privy to the behind the scenes negotiations I can only hope the best decision was made.

That being said, I have dealt with several consulting firms in my 40 years in industry. In a number of instances I was assigned to act as my company's primary interface with the consulting firm. In short, I never could understand how a fortune 500 company could hire someone outside of their field of expertise and expect that they could make better decisions than their own internal subject matter experts. Most consultants would come in and immediately ask the question, "what conclusions would you like to see from this engagement?" Not once did I think the consultant was worth cost not only in dollars but in resources and time of the company's employees. I am not a fan of consultants.

As to the comments on 'not-so instant replay' reviews, apparently I am in the minority - I don't care how long it takes so long as they get it correct. If you want a fast-moving pace without correct calls then you can go to the WWE for entertainment. The problem is not with the replay mechanism itself in most cases. The problem lies in the quality of the judges and referees doing the reviewing. And based upon their horrible inconsistency on the ice as evidenced by blown offside calls, phantom penalties or those blatant ones not called at all, etc. why would you expect any better? The status quo will not improve until the refs are held accountable with full disclosure of their performance. Stewie are you out there?
            When it comes to consulting firms, it all comes down to whether you have the expertise you want for a specific job in-house, and if you don't believe you have that specific expertise, if you want to hire someone directly that you'd have to train anyway. With it being a short job, and not wanting to have to deal with HR hassle (which also takes up resources), most choose to outsource. I don't like them anymore than you, but at the end of the day, these ventures, including RPI hockey, are businesses, and have to properly balance quality and price.

There's agreement here when it comes to replays. I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right. That being said, it should be there to settle a dispute, not to do the referee's job on their behalf. If you want to hold them accountable, that's fine. Here's the one kicker you probably didn't consider: You need 24 referees and 24 linesmen on any given night (remember, the league is responsible for both men's and women's games). Tack on a few "floaters" because there are going to be extenuating personal circumstances. With those numbers in mind, what is the acceptance rate for trialists? I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually somewhat high, considering the talents needed to fill the job description (refereeing is a LOT harder than it looks), travel, pay, not to mention it basically being a "thankless job". If you're going to have attrition on top of this, are they able to fill in the gaps? Some may find the league's response of "Tryouts are in August" to be arrogant, but they do have a point.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedWrister View Post
              According to the team website, he hasn't. SA still listed as HC. File that under ..."we're out of pizza...". Amateur hour continues !
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                According to the team website, he hasn't. SA still listed as HC. File that under ..."we're out of pizza...". Amateur hour continues !
                No problem, Pizza in Troy is horrid.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  David A. Smith
                  Department of Athletics
                  Student Life
                  email: xxxxxxxx@rpi.edu
                  Phone: 518-276-6685
                  110 8th St.
                  Mailstop: ECAV Building ECAV
                  Athletics
                  110 8th St.
                  Troy NY 12180

I x'ed out the email address, but he is the 25th smithd if you want to write.
                  It doesn't state "Head Coach, Men's Hockey" yet.
                  It now has "Head Coach, Men's Hockey".
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Where? He is listed in the staff directory http://www.rpiathletics.com/staff.aspx. It is correct to have SA listed with the 16-17 roster.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 12 April 2017. There are 172 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Considering some of RPI's hiring standards, are you surprised?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          When it comes to consulting firms, it all comes down to whether you have the expertise you want for a specific job in-house, and if you don't believe you have that specific expertise, if you want to hire someone directly that you'd have to train anyway. With it being a short job, and not wanting to have to deal with HR hassle (which also takes up resources), most choose to outsource. I don't like them anymore than you, but at the end of the day, these ventures, including RPI hockey, are businesses, and have to properly balance quality and price.
                          This is a good point. Of course Lee hired a firm with no hockey expertise and ended up hiring a guy with almost an identical winning % from a lesser league. Bad process.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

With regard to UMASS class debate. http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...ovanna-renyard
                            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              That doesn't imply that it will or won't happen at RPI.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                That doesn't imply that it will or won't happen at RPI.

No doubt but it looks like Barr is a good recruiter although prior asiistants were also credited. Jury out on Smith.
                                Last edited by AspyDad; 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X