Thread: Ecac coaches best to worst

hockey

Ecac coaches best to worst

1-12 how would you rank them

Re: Ecac coaches best to worst

Considering that Allain and Bennett are the only coaches who have won the National Championship, I would put Allain at one and Bennett at two. The rest of you can argue about the rest of the cosches.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Fogarty and Pecknold should be towards the top as well IMO
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    1-12 how would you rank them
    Make that 1 - 11.

Capt
    Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post
    Considering that Allain and Bennett are the only coaches who have won the National Championship, I would put Allain at one and Bennett at two. The rest of you can argue about the rest of the cosches.
    Morris is the only coach (EVER!!!!!!) to have 300 NCAA wins and 300 Pro (AHL) wins. That's gotta count for something.

Schafer has to be given the honor of best complainer, no? Maybe Pecknold in 2nd for that award. After that, well, maybe a 10 way tie.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Morris is the only coach (EVER!!!!!!) to have 300 NCAA wins and 300 Pro (AHL) wins. That's gotta count for something.

Schafer has to be given the honor of best complainer, no? Maybe Pecknold in 2nd for that award. After that, well, maybe a 10 way tie.
    Any NCAA rings on those gents? They have been around a long time. Decent win persentage,but, when the rubber meets the road they are still lacking hardware. Not gloating for the two who have won the ultimate prize, but history only gets you so far.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Considering that Allain and Bennett are the only coaches who have won the National Championship, I would put Allain at one and Bennett at two. The rest of you can argue about the rest of the coaches.
    +1
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Bump

Capt
    Any NCAA rings on those gents? They have been around a long time. Decent win persentage,but, when the rubber meets the road they are still lacking hardware. Not gloating for the two who have won the ultimate prize, but history only gets you so far.
    /whoosh. Although, sarcasm needs to be a font.

And BS, you're absolutely gloating for atleast 1 of the 2.

Going by your logic, Carey Price can't be the best goalie in the NHL, correct? Hasn't won a cup, thus he's just average. Right? Is that how it works?

Banned

Going by your logic, Carey Price can't be the best goalie in the NHL, correct? Hasn't won a cup, thus he's just average. Right? Is that how it works?
    This brings me back to Patrick Roy's comment about how his two Stanley Cup rings were in his ears blocking the noise...

I believe most players and coaches would trade a great win percentage or GAA for a ring or a cup. Goalie Bob is better anyway
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Ever True since '92

I'm gonna separate these into tiers. No particular order within each tier.

Top tier:
    Allain
    Pecknold
    Bennett
    Schafer

Middle tier:
    Fogarty
    Donato
    Morris
    Jones

Bottom tier:
    Vaughn
    Gaudet

Below all of that:
    Brendan Whittet

Overall, I think the league has 8 coaches who are at least very good and I think Vaughn and Gaudet are ok, as well. Their results have been inconsistent over their long tenures but they've had some really good teams (especially Vaughn). Fogarty is one to watch - he's done wonders with a Princeton program that was stuck in the mud for years. He could soon displace Mike Schafer in that top tier. Donato certainly has had some great results but he's also had better talent than anyone else in the league and had some teams with tons of talent that did not live up to expectations on the ice (namely the Biega years). Casey Jones has quietly put together a very nice run at Clarkson, and I think I remember hearing they have some highly-rated recruits coming in so they could be a legit contender within a year or two.

Best coach overall has to go to Allain. He took Yale from a middling (at best) program to a top-5 team that thrived on its explosive offense for years before retooling and emphasizing defensive play and made a crazy national championship run. I think Pecknold's teams have probably been more consistent over the years, but they've struggled to win in both the ECAC and NCAA tournaments (they finally got the ECAC monkey off their backs last year). If QU can win a national championship, I'd swap the two.

I'd agree with kdiff, although until Cornell's recent resurgence (beginning last year despite the second-half collapse), some would argue that Schafer belongs firmly in that middle tier. Allain is no.1 I think especially after Yale's Cinderella run in 2013. One could argue that the Yale teams before that were better but suffered from bad luck (injuries and such) heading into the NCAA's.

Thread Information