Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Black Bear since D-2

Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Verbal commits have been bailing on Maine for years and way before Red
    Yeah, but much better ones.

Maine doesn't have any leeway anymore. Even the marginal guys bail on Red. The program is swirling ever more deeply down the drain, apparently.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-21-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Looks like Tim Gould is headed to Alberni of the BCHL.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/bchl-alberni-valley-bulldogs-making-moves-in-the-offseason/

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Looks like Tim Gould is headed to Alberni of the BCHL.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/b...the-offseason/
    Was he any good, on paper?

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    From what I recall, Gould is considered a decent get. 6-23-29 in 54 GP, but its obviously nearly impossible to evaluate defensemen on stats alone. But going to the BCHL dosen't mean he's not coming to Maine I'm fairly sure, junior A leagues are common places for Canadian players who want to maintain NCAA eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    From what I recall, Gould is considered a decent get. 6-23-29 in 54 GP, but its obviously nearly impossible to evaluate defensemen on stats alone. But going to the BCHL dosen't mean he's not coming to Maine I'm fairly sure, junior A leagues are common places for Canadian players who want to maintain NCAA eligibility.
    Pretty sure your right on playing in the BCHL that he can play NCAA Hockey.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Paul Kariya played in BCHL
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

When he was 16.

Yes, he is rated 3.75 out of 5 according to Nuetral Zone. Which is better than most of our recruits on the blue line. Has been playing at Norte Dame of SK, CA for a while. Guessing this is a good move for him. Was hoping he’d come to UMaine this season. Maybe he wants and needs another year of juniors. I think he will be a good one. From Moncton area too, so nice to also have local eastern Canadians.

Yes, junior A hockey in Canada is where a lot of NCAA players develop and retain rights to play in NCAA. Major junior is premiere league for high end Canadian kids where they get stipends... and NCAA considers them no longer amateurs. As such, they lose NCAA eligibility. That is, unless you want to play for North Dakota. Somehow they can get a major junior player where the player only loses number of games played. Conversely Maine couldn’t get Tyler Johnson in, who only played a game in OHL. That all made a **** ton of sense to NCAA... I guess.

Yes, junior A hockey in Canada is where a lot of NCAA players develop and retain rights to play in NCAA. Major junior is premiere league for high end Canadian kids where they get stipends... and NCAA considers them no longer amateurs. As such, they lose NCAA eligibility. That is, unless you want to play for North Dakota. Somehow they can get a major junior player where the player only loses number of games played. Conversely Maine couldn’t get Tyler Johnson in, who only played a game in OHL. That all made a **** ton of sense to NCAA... I guess.
    This is technically correct but I believe that it is a sweeping generalization in terms of talent division. This presumes that none of the "high end Canadian kids" want to play NCAA hockey. Each year, more and more Canadian kids choose the NCAA path, and avoid playing in the CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by islander98 View Post
    This is technically correct but I believe that it is a sweeping generalization in terms of talent division. This presumes that none of the "high end Canadian kids" want to play NCAA hockey. Each year, more and more Canadian kids choose the NCAA path, and avoid playing in the CHL.
    Yes and just check this years Draft...NCAA up and CHL down.

Oh ya I remember that kid.......just was wondering if there may or may not have been changes by the beloved NC$$ on certain Leagues in Oh Canada...

Oh ya I remember that kid.......just was wondering if there may or may not have been changes by the beloved NC$$ on certain Leagues in Oh Canada...
    I am curious if the Maine coaching staff has reached out to this player Murray of Youngstown(USHL). Big left wing that can score goals. Might help compensate for loss of Pearson if he can score for Maine. Seems like a system fit with Maine’s affinity for size/ power forward.
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/decision-looms-for-sabres-murray-as-he-ends-development-camp/71-1c2434a5-dde6-444c-9776-8dec4c908a2f

I am curious if the Maine coaching staff has reached out to this player Murray of Youngstown(USHL). Big left wing that can score goals. Might help compensate for loss of Pearson if he can score for Maine. Seems like a system fit with Maine’s affinity for size/ power forward.
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/...6-8dec4c908a2f
    Murray, previously of Penn State, is presently committed to Miami of Ohio so if he goes the NCAA route (again), I doubt he'd switch affiliations at this late date.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Murray, previously of Penn State, is presently committed to Miami of Ohio so if he goes the NCAA route (again), I doubt he'd switch affiliations at this late date.
    This article implies he is not going to Miami anymore. And it even states he will look at other schools.
    https://theathletic.com/1053711/2019/06/29/you-just-kind-of-roll-with-the-punches-sabres-prospect-brett-murray-carves-his-own-route-in-his-own-way/

This is the reason I brought it up, because it seems he is considering other schools.

This article implies he is not going to Miami anymore. And it even states he will look at other schools.
    https://theathletic.com/1053711/2019...n-his-own-way/

This is the reason I brought it up, because it seems he is considering other schools.
    My apologies, I thought the article was rather brief but in retrospect it must have cut off being behind a paywall and all. Carry on and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    My apologies, I thought the article was rather brief but in retrospect it must have cut off being behind a paywall and all. Carry on and good luck!
    No biggies.

On a different note I am trying to find out where certain Maine recruits are playing. It appears as though Josh Langford did not make the Sioux Falls initial roster, which is disappointing to see. Also, it seems like Brad Morrissey wasn’t in Tri-Cities tryout camp. I am not sure if he is playing in USHL this year?

Black Bear since D-2

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/...6-8dec4c908a2f
    IDK, Blackie, merely replacing a Pearson isn't going to right the ship. This program is broken.

IDK, Blackie, merely replacing a Pearson isn't going to right the ship. This program is broken.
    Fallen down and can't get back up

Yes, we should follow your lead and give up...

F offf... I still want my bears to win. Got it?

Thread Information