Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    I think that is as good a definition as any actually!! Of course would need to be standardized for going pro early by averaging years active. Top line forward above 100pts (25+average) second line 75-100pts (18.75-25 average). The list looks like this sorted by average point total, freshmen excluded (too little data).

Fossier 86pts or 3yr ave = 28.6 pts
    Pearson 78pts or 3yr ave = 26 pts
    Tralmaks 42pts or 2yr ave = 21 pts
    Doherty 40pts or 2yr ave = 21 pts
    Vesey 82 pts or 4yr ave = 20.5 pts
    I also like the definition. The issue as your post above clearly shows is that Maine doesnít have enough quality players. To be an NCAA team I would argue you need seven top six forwards. For Maine to just swap Pearson for Breen and hope Poisson is better than Robbins isnít enough. Iíd also point out that for three straight years (Pappalardo, Holesinsky, Dawe) Maine has had someone who has been way below expectations.

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I also like the definition. The issue as your post above clearly shows is that Maine doesnít have enough quality players. To be an NCAA team I would argue you need seven top six forwards. For Maine to just swap Pearson for Breen and hope Poisson is better than Robbins isnít enough. Iíd also point out that for three straight years (Pappalardo, Holesinsky, Dawe) Maine has had someone who has been way below expectations.
    Dawe was below expectations due to injury trouble. I know he didn't light up the score sheet, and that is what matters in the end, but watching the games the kid was all over the place and made a lot of good plays and created chances.

Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Why stop there? Shouldn't we get 12 top 6 forwards. That makes the most sense. And 6 top 3 defensemen. And 2 top 1 goalies.

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Dawe was below expectations due to injury trouble. I know he didn't light up the score sheet, and that is what matters in the end, but watching the games the kid was all over the place and made a lot of good plays and created chances.
    Dawe is a gamer with heart and grit and you can't teach that...if he stays healthy he can be a added plus for Maine next season, doing all the little things people miss or don't care about...he plays each and every shift.

I also like the definition. The issue as your post above clearly shows is that Maine doesnít have enough quality players.
    Which is exactly what my depth thesis previously stated. Quality players = depth. However I will certainly add, as others like Drew have pointed out, there was a top 6 talent issue at one position as well! Here are this seasons predominant line combos. Three glaring weaknesses. Which highlight both a depth issue ANDa top 6 issue. Which, statistically speaking, is likely how you get an average hockey team like Maine LOL!

Fossier JR 28.6
    Pearson JR 26
    Tralmaks SO 21
    75.6 pts

Robbins SR 16.25
    Doherty SO 20
    JSS FR 14
    50.25 pts (ideal is 18 x 3 = 54 pts)

Shea JR 14.6
    Smith JR 8.3
    Westerlund SO 11
    33.9 pts (shooting for 12 x 3 = 36 pts)

Perez SR 4.75
    Quinlivan SO 2
    Dawe FR 14 (7 actual pts; multiplied by 2 to project if he played full season instead of half season
    20.75 pts (shooting for 8 x 3 = 24 pts)

1) 2nd line LW: a senior averaging 16 pts across his 4 years would be an above average 3rd liner vs. below average 2nd liner. As a freshmen JSS gets a pass for falling below the 18 point requirement of a second liner our metrics focus on career average and first year production is typically, though not always, your lowest career production. Overall i think consensus amongst fans is this line did not have a good year.

2) 3rd line RW: As it was our 3rd line often outperformed opposing teams 3rd line and was often a strength. However I like to focus on maximizing productivity. let me state that this is not a knock on Ryan Smith rather a, in my book a line combo strategy critique. Smith is an exceptional 4th line RW and PKer. He had arguably his best season at Maine. However he doesn't create offense. you need offense from your third line and pairing up Adam Dawe's playmaking vision with Shea's speed and Westerlund's one-timer would have likely led to more production from 3rd line. In fact these guys shifted on a couple of occassions this year and the dynamic potential was visible but resulted in near misses and no points. With some more time together I believe more production was inevitable. All rendered moot was Dawezy was knocked senseless against Northeastern.

3) 4th line production: This has been critiqued a million times across all Maine threads. The data backs it up. Nothing more to be said other than a healthy Pieper would have been immensely beneficial here.

Hindsight is 20/20 but to have corrected these weaknessess Red & Co would either have to:
    A) Have recruited a more talented player than Robbins to fill the 2nd line LW spot - what I am now referring to as the "top 6 issue thesis" - which possibly would have been rectified had the Ben Meyers debacle been avoided and he arrived in Orono this past season. (a quick aside - recently the Meyers situation was replicated with Craig Needham and Red & Co has set themselves up once again next winter to have the situation resurface!!!! another example of the roster management weakness early mentioned). This would have allowed for slotting Robbins in as 3rd line LW and Westerlund as 4th line LW. Do this and Maine is improved.

or

B) Have recruited more production at 4th line LW or C than Perez or Quinlivan. Misfortune with Pieper injury did not help here either but also highlights the importance of depth. This route is certainly more easy and cheaper than luring top 6 talent. Do this and Maine improves.

or

C) Ideally we want to see both A & B be true. Which is obviously what championship teams do and what all of us UMaine fans want to see happen.... we can only hope

Thanks for all the great conversation, insight, and activity on the thread today. Lots of fun

Do you think Osadick, Morrisey, or Sasson will come in next season? Where do you see Roy fitting in?
    Boy I really wonder about Osadick after what happened to Dawe this year. Does anyone think he's too small to make it? Elite Prospects shows he's 5' 6" and 130 lbs! Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    Boy I really wonder about Osadick after what happened to Dawe this year. Does anyone think he's too small to make it? Elite Prospects shows he's 5' 6" and 130 lbs! Yikes.
    That is outdated. He is actually 5'11" 170 as of October 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    You must be thinking of Kawamura, he is small. I wonder if Kawamura ever makes it to Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    You must be thinking of Kawamura, he is small. I wonder if Kawamura ever makes it to Maine.
    Nope he was referencing Osadick. eliteprospects is fantastic for everything except size and year of arrival. that is one of the reasons why i maintain the recruiting site for maine fans.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...atthew-osadick

1) 2nd line LW: a senior averaging 16 pts across his 4 years would be an above average 3rd liner vs. below average 2nd liner. As a freshmen JSS gets a pass for falling below the 18 point requirement of a second liner our metrics focus on career average and first year production is typically, though not always, your lowest career production. Overall i think consensus amongst fans is this line did not have a good year.
    I personally have Schmitty pegged as a breakout candidate for next year. If you look back, his first year in the USHL was plagued with a lack of scoring and piling up the penalty minutes (sound familiar?), and he was sent down to the NAHL. Second season, he was leading the league in goal scoring before getting injured and missing significant time. And I will disagree slightly, I think at times the second line played well this season, but I will agree at other times they could be hard to watch and couldn't even break out of the zone effectively.

...the Ben Meyers debacle...
    Thats another thing, I remember being curious about that when it happened. What exactly was the situation? Did Red and Co ask him to wait a year and he didn't accept that? Because he then bounced to Omaha and then quickly went to Minnesota, and now he was back in the USHL this year. What the heck happened?

I think Breen will be a second line center. He is centering the top line on his USHL team. Maybe this could be a good line up...

Fossier/Doherty*/Tralmaks
    Schmidt-Svestrup/Breen/Dawe
    Westerlund*/Shea*/Smith
    Poisson*/Drobot/Roy

Quinlivan*/Gaudette*/Hock*/Lindelow*

Greenway/Butala
    Sirota*/Kleiboer*
    Binner/Bruneski*

Spicer*/VMT

Swayman
    Thiessen

Black Bear since D-2

I think Breen will be a second line center. He is centering the top line on his USHL team. Maybe this could be a good line up...

Fossier/Doherty*/Tralmaks
    Schmidt-Svestrup/Breen/Dawe
    Westerlund*/Shea*/Smith
    Poisson*/Drobot/Roy

Quinlivan*/Gaudette*/Hock*/Lindelow*

Greenway/Butala
    Sirota*/Kleiboer*
    Binner/Bruneski*

Spicer*/VMT

Swayman
    Thiessen
    Not convinced at all that a 2nd-line center coming in will help much, considering what Maine already has for a 2nd-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Not convinced at all that a 2nd-line center coming in will help much, considering what Maine already has for a 2nd-line.
    That is ok, I am.

Black Bear since D-2

That is ok, I am.
    Have another one on me!

Interesting game live boxscore...

Brad Morrissey, Nicholas Capone, and JD Greenway have each scored a goal tonight so far in the Tri City vs. Dubuque game.

https://www.ushl.com/view/#/game-summary/8238

Interesting game live boxscore...

Brad Morrissey, Nicholas Capone, and JD Greenway have each scored a goal tonight so far in the Tri City vs. Dubuque game.

https://www.ushl.com/view/#/game-summary/8238
    Nick's first game in USHL this year also!

Guillaume Richard ('03) will attend Mount St. Charles Academy in Rhode Island next year. I usually don't hold much stock in the future of kids who have committed to any university with 4 or 5 years of junior eligibility. Just too much can happen. However, this is an encouraging sign from the perspective of CHL vs. NCAA. Still a looong way to go. I actually had to the chance to watch Guillaume pay in person this year and I was very impressed. Very slick skater for his age/size. Very good in all three zones and power play. Reminding me a lot of an early blooming left shot Pat Holway. As always development is the key word, does he continue to progress or do all the kids around him catch up? Time will tell, but from a long term perspective a good get by Guite.

Guillaume Richard ('03) will attend Mount St. Charles Academy in Rhode Island next year. I usually don't hold much stock in the future of kids who have committed to any university with 4 or 5 years of junior eligibility. Just too much can happen. However, this is an encouraging sign from the perspective of CHL vs. NCAA. Still a looong way to go. I actually had to the chance to watch Guillaume pay in person this year and I was very impressed. Very slick skater for his age/size. Very good in all three zones and power play. Reminding me a lot of an early blooming left shot Pat Holway. As always development is the key word, does he continue to progress or do all the kids around him catch up? Time will tell, but from a long term perspective a good get by Guite.
    So as of TODAY what is the incoming recruit and names that are coming to Maine for 2019-20 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    So as of TODAY what is the incoming recruit and names that are coming to Maine for 2019-20 season.
    This article should tell you most of the incoming recruits.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/...th-7-recruits/

Thread Information