Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Iím not sure if he had decommited earlier, but Craig Needham is going to Providence. Seems to be a win for everyone involved. Heís a bottom six guy which isnít exactly what Maine needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I’m not sure if he had decommited earlier, but Craig Needham is going to Providence. Seems to be a win for everyone involved. He’s a bottom six guy which isn’t exactly what Maine needs.
    What...so by him going to Providence means they don't see something worth bringing him in...you lost me on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    What...so by him going to Providence means they don't see something worth bringing him in...you lost me on that one.
    When I was watching him his role was a defensive one. On the ice for important shifts on a defensive line. I'm not sure his role in USHL tells everything. But Maine has been scoring deficient on their bottom two lines. Not sure Needham would have been brought in next season if the goal is to remedy that situation. Good luck to Needham if he swapped to go to Providence.

Tristan Poissant, '00 F, currently with Cornwall has committed to UMaine. Has two years of junior eligibility remaining.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...istan-poissant

Was named CCHL Player of the Month in November
    Last edited by Bhall44; 03-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Maine got a goalie today as well.

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Maine got a goalie today as well.
    Whats his name?

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Whats his name?
    https://twitter.com/_Neutral_Zone/st...79249890287616

Not related to UMaine directly but Miami announced the firing of Rico Blassi today. Quite significant considering he built the program to national prominence and came oh so short of a national title in 2009. The program has fallen since the formation of the NCHC. Will be interesting to keep an eye the coaching change has on the 30 current commitments to the program, including 5 NTDP 2019 invites.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/03/19/aft...-expectations/

Has this been a bad year for a lot of Maineís commitments? It seems like very few have done well statistically. It isnít the end of the world, but is a little concerning.

Has this been a bad year for a lot of Maineís commitments? It seems like very few have done well statistically. It isnít the end of the world, but is a little concerning.
    I'm of the opinion that this will be a solid set of additions. Five of the seven recruits played USHL hockey this year and stuck. The other two are Canadians. Kleiboer didn't stick because there are limited spots for imports. Plus it isn't surprising because he is a bit undersized. Poisson probably never had aspirations of playing in USHL, but is a leader on his BCHL team.

Outside of the NLI guys it seems BHall think Bruneski is coming in next season. The content coming from USHL is there so I believe the depth will be there. Hopefully this translates into a stronger overall defensive team. Which when you can put that in front of a great goalie will mean good things.

I'm also very encouraged by Sirotas play, he seems solid and a top minute anchor on the blue line.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    I'm of the opinion that this will be a solid set of additions. Five of the seven recruits played USHL hockey this year and stuck. The other two are Canadians. Kleiboer didn't stick because there are limited spots for imports. Plus it isn't surprising because he is a bit undersized. Poisson probably never had aspirations of playing in USHL, but is a leader on his BCHL team.

Outside of the NLI guys it seems BHall think Bruneski is coming in next season. The content coming from USHL is there so I believe the depth will be there. Hopefully this translates into a stronger overall defensive team. Which when you can put that in front of a great goalie will mean good things.

I'm also very encouraged by Sirotas play, he seems solid and a top minute anchor on the blue line.
    God knows I appreciate your ongoing optimism, Blackie, but who's going to score for Maine next year?

IMO, that's been the problem with every Red recruiting class.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-19-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    God knows I appreciate your ongoing optimism, Blackie, but who's going to score for Maine next year?

IMO, that's been the problem with every Red recruiting class.
    Probably, like most teams, your juniors become senoirs... you sophs become juniors, and your frosh become sophs...

Or do you believe you only can do what you show first year?

Of course there is development. I expect to see no problems with scoring. But I am very concerned with there isn't that same development on the defense.

I prefer to see more emphasis on defense and develop there.

The stats don't really jump off the page for any of them, I agree. The one with the flashiest stats is probably Ben Poission, who is slightly above a PPG player in his current league, but it isnt the USHL. Stats aren't eveything, though, and Id rather see them in person than rely on a stat sheet. But no, I don't think youre wrong to not be impressed at first glance.

The stats don't really jump off the page for any of them, I agree. The one with the flashiest stats is probably Ben Poission, who is slightly above a PPG player in his current league, but it isnt the USHL. Stats aren't eveything, though, and Id rather see them in person than rely on a stat sheet. But no, I don't think youre wrong to not be impressed at first glance.
    Sirota is an example. He plays the game the right way. For me... He is the most promising young defenseman.

We need more of him and less on the flashy but can't take care of their own net.

Sirota is an example. He plays the game the right way. For me... He is the most promising young defenseman.

We need more of him and less on the flashy but can't take care of their own net.
    I agree on Sirota, he's probably the best D on Maine already, especially with Keeper in Florida. Im curious how his elgibility plays out with joining the team in January instead of October; maybe BHall44 can shed some light on the situation?

I agree on Sirota, he's probably the best D on Maine already, especially with Keeper in Florida. Im curious how his elgibility plays out with joining the team in January instead of October; maybe BHall44 can shed some light on the situation?
    He used a full year

As Ma#1neHky previously said, Sirota used a full year of eligibility. Staff tried to get him to Orono as soon as Holway left but with a full month and a half into the semester the NCAA and University wasn't going for it. I was very pleased with his second half performance. Honestly he looked better playing NCAA than he did NAHL. He has really improved his defensive positioning and puck possession skills in the past 2 years. When he first came over from Czech he was all offense minded and a liability on defense which is why he didn't stick in USHL. I love watching these kids improve!

Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    As Ma#1neHky previously said, Sirota used a full year of eligibility. Staff tried to get him to Orono as soon as Holway left but with a full month and a half into the semester the NCAA and University wasn't going for it. I was very pleased with his second half performance. Honestly he looked better playing NCAA than he did NAHL. He has really improved his defensive positioning and puck possession skills in the past 2 years. When he first came over from Czech he was all offense minded and a liability on defense which is why he didn't stick in USHL. I love watching these kids improve!
    I agree. He looked great for Maine this second half(which is his first half). A lot of promise there. Unfortunately, he was undrafted... which means he could become a target like Keeper to leave early.

I agree. He looked great for Maine this second half(which is his first half). A lot of promise there. Unfortunately, he was undrafted... which means he could become a target like Keeper to leave early.
    I'm hoping Greenway works out. I would guess he's one and done if he's any good. It looks like he had a decent year for Dubuque, the only thing I found on Youtube is this: Link

I also expect more out of guys like Shea, Tralmaks, JSS and Dawe. I have no idea what to expect from Drobot, Gaudette or Breen. We'll see, loosing Keeper was a hit but Pearson wasn't totally unexpected. I just hope we don't loose more guys...

Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    I'm hoping Greenway works out. I would guess he's one and done if he's any good. It looks like he had a decent year for Dubuque, the only thing I found on Youtube is this: Link

I also expect more out of guys like Shea, Tralmaks, JSS and Dawe. I have no idea what to expect from Drobot, Gaudette or Breen. We'll see, loosing Keeper was a hit but Pearson wasn't totally unexpected. I just hope we don't loose more guys...
    My opinion is Greenway is a step in from hockey sense. Need to make sure he gets his academics on straight.

And Bruneski is a converted center getting acolades for his defensive play. Seems like tough kid that can hold his own in his own end.

Then we have Sirota back. And Binner.

Then we have a question mark in my mind with Klaiboer. Not sure if he is big enough for that task, but he signed NLI.

I was hoping to see Gould come in next season. He has a bit better of a frame and that nasty chip, I believe.

We shall see, but the d is just about flushed. New blood. I'd like to see a couple more at homes to protect Swayman. See providence model.

Thread Information